Author Topic: 002 2017 (March) Paul by Keith Homes (original)  (Read 2539 times)

Offline KeithAndPaul

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
002 2017 (March) Paul by Keith Homes (original)
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:15:22 am »
Hi all

This is my first original song. Hope you like it. If you want to know more about it, read on after the link to SoundCloud

https://soundcloud.com/keith-homes/paul-unplugged-170320

I wrote this song just over a year ago. Some lines of it just came to me on the bus on the way to work. I was thinking about my best mate Paul and John Denver's Country Roads. When we were teens Paul and I would go to a country music night at a local pub. The house band were called Country Roads and that naturally was their title song. Paul and I used to love that song and would drag whoever wasn't tied down onto the dance floor.

Paul eventually married my younger sister, but they divorced unfortunately. So for a while Paul was my brother (in law). He disappeared for years. Eventually we bumped into each other and I found that Paul had been avoiding me for all that time because he thought I held him responsible for the divorce (I didn't).

Paul became part of the family I now had and we enjoyed many great times together.

When I first started learning guitar I didn't know about internet sites and went to a teacher. He had me doing all sorts of random things, but all I wanted to do was learn a song. So naturally it was Country Roads. It took me months to learn it. It is amazing how many individual skills are required to play (and sing) a song. Anyway, one night I had just started playing Country Roads and the phone rang. It was Paul's brother - Paul had taken his life. The black dog of depression had overwhelmed him.

Hope you have found your peace along that country road Paul.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:13:17 pm by close2u »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Re: Paul by Keith Homes (original)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:42:17 am »
Keith thanks for sharing this background to your song. So much sorrow and pain.  :(  I'm sorry for your loss. Country Roads certainly weaves it way right though your life. I really want to listen to your track, but the link doesn't work.

There are people here who use SC all the time, I'm a bit rusty, but here goes.
1. On SC where you have your track, underneath the  Write a Comment box, there is a 'share' icon.
2. Click on that and it will give you a URL code thing. Copy this and then come back to your post here.
3. There is a Soundcloud icon, just under the YouTube icon. Click on that and insert the Soundcloud URL there.

Hope I've got this right. If I haven't I'm sure someone will set you straight.

Offline KeithAndPaul

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:05:55 am »
Thanks Batwoman. That is exactly what I have done, but it is not working. I can't find a way to insert an MP3 either, so I am pretty well sunk :(

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:11:31 am »
I'm sure that someone here will help you Keith. There's always a way  :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:22:28 am »
Did a search, found it here https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Paul%20unplugged%20by%20Keith

Must confess I shed a tear or two. I like the 'unplugged' version more than the next one called 'Paul' The unplugged version is raw, not as 'perfect' or as polished as the unplugged one. For that reason I like it a lot. This is music that is real.

Thankyou Keith. I hope that writing the song has brought you some peace too.

Offline KeithAndPaul

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 03:50:20 am »
Thanks Batwoman

A friend of mine helped me with the first version when I originally wrote it. Although I really appreciated his involvement I also felt it had lost the feeling of the song. I appreciate your time in searching for it. You will hear during the recording occasionally my voice catches too and I get a little misty.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:25:56 am »
A friend of mine helped me with the first version when I originally wrote it. Although I really appreciated his involvement I also felt it had lost the feeling of the song. I appreciate your time in searching for it. You will hear during the recording occasionally my voice catches too and I get a little misty.

Yes Keith, I agree that the more polished collaboration has lost the mood. In the unplugged version I heard your voice catch, your breathing change, the notes that aren't quite pitch perfect, pauses where you seemed to hesitate as if you were pulling yourself together and I heard your pain and loss. Your guitar rhythm held it all together while you worked your way through the lyrics. It's all there, unplugged, raw and real. This is why I like it.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:47 am »
Keith,

Your song and performance is powerful, really moving having shared the story. And I think shifting emotion is part of music, so this works. I appreciate you sharing such a deep personal experience.

Technically it sounded good to me, solid, consistent rhythm ... did I hear "old faithful" strumming pattern? I wondered if some flat picking might add a something to shift the mood, perhaps the final verse? Enjoyed the solo.

Thanks again

David

Offline KeithAndPaul

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 06:10:56 am »
Yep DavidP DDUUD but with the first down picking the root note. It is a bit natural now so I don't think about it. Will have to look up flat picking to see what you mean. I am just a learner.

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated.

Keith
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:50:17 am by KeithAndPaul »

Offline KeithAndPaul

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:06:05 am »
I looked up flatpicking DavidP. General consensus is that it is playing the guitar with a pick as opposed to finger picking. Interesting. That is how I am playing the rhythm and the solo. Not sure what you are hearing. I am playing a Les Paul Special straight into my audio interface (Focusrite) and capturing on Audacity. I left the rhythm straight so I suppose it does have an acoustic feel about it. The solo was the same, but I added a little delay effect.

One of the hardest things I found was holding the rhythm. I was playing to a click track, but even so it is hard to hit that bass on the click. I did it over and over to get it right.

I am only just starting to explore solos. It started with a triad (thanks Justin) and I built it from there. I threw in a pull-off as well (again thanks Justin).

Keith
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:42:23 am by KeithAndPaul »

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 03:14:07 pm »
I looked up flatpicking DavidP. General consensus is that it is playing the guitar with a pick as opposed to finger picking. Interesting. That is how I am playing the rhythm and the solo. Not sure what you are hearing. I am playing a Les Paul Special straight into my audio interface (Focusrite) and capturing on Audacity. I left the rhythm straight so I suppose it does have an acoustic feel about it. The solo was the same, but I added a little delay effect.

One of the hardest things I found was holding the rhythm. I was playing to a click track, but even so it is hard to hit that bass on the click. I did it over and over to get it right.

I am only just starting to explore solos. It started with a triad (thanks Justin) and I built it from there. I threw in a pull-off as well (again thanks Justin).

Keith
Keith,

I'm also a beginner who probably knows a lot more about playing than I can deliver. So take with caution

I understand that flat picking is where you intermix hitting individual notes of the chord with strumming the chord. Check out Justin's song lesson on Mad World, where he uses the technique in the intro and later talks about it. So a different feel to a solo.

Cheers

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 04:02:03 pm »
I too really liked the unplugged version.  I felt the tempo and mood were more appropriate. Nice job!
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 07:03:59 pm »
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 08:05:12 pm »
Hi

A good write.
Your voice has a nice authentic quality.
The strumming is nice. I could hear some harmonica during the pauses - if you know anyone who can play.

Digger

Offline KeithAndPaul

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 09:42:28 am »
Thanks Digger72

Interestingly, I did another version when I first wrote it. A friend helped me with some bass and drum loop, but I also asked him to lay down some harmonica over it, as I thought this would add a haunting tone to it. Unfortunately as I was not in control of the process the recording ended up being too up tempo for me and lost the impact I wanted. When things settle down I might ask him to lay down a track on this new recording.

Keith

Get The Forum As A Mobile App