Author Topic: Best way to store an acoustic guitar?  (Read 678 times)

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
Best way to store an acoustic guitar?
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:43:33 pm »
I've heard and read and seen conflicting views on the best way to store an acoustic guitar between playing/pratice sessions. I have just one guitar  ::)

I live in a sub-tropical climate. My guitar is stored in its case overnight. I sit the case upright. During the day I leave my guitar leaning against a table, string side against the table, with its base sitting on a towel. I don't have a stand. I wipe my guitar down at the end of the day.

Is it bad to leave the guitar lying on its back with the case lying flat? I've seen stacks of guitars stored this way.

Is this the best way to care for my guitar? What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:20:10 pm by batwoman »

Offline Hooked

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Older? Yes, wiser? Good question!
Re: Best way to store an acoustic guitar?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:01:07 am »
The big factor you've not mentioned is humidity. Too much and you can get swelling in the top, other problems. Generally these are easily corrected.

The real danger is too dry. The solid wood will dry out quickly, possibly cracking and result in long term damage requiring professional repairs.

Here in northern Virginia, we use furnace heat, which pushes very dry air through the house. So I store both of my acoustics in their cases with humidifiers in the case. Easy instructions to make one... http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Guitar-Humidifier/.

Get a humidity gage, keep it in your case, shoot for 45 to 50%.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wire...

Offline Hooked

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Older? Yes, wiser? Good question!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 12:02:39 am »
The big factor you've not mentioned is humidity. Too much and you can get swelling in the top, other problems. Generally these are easily corrected.

The real danger is too dry. The solid wood will dry out quickly, possibly cracking and result in long term damage requiring professional repairs.

Here in northern Virginia, we use furnace heat, which pushes very dry air through the house. So I store both of my acoustics in their cases with humidifiers in the case. Easy instructions to make one... http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Guitar-Humidifier/.

As for laying case flat, upright, on the side? Not sure it matters. I'd not lean the fretboard against a table though.

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wire...

Offline Christopher

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Too much guitar is barely enough.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:10:19 am »
Hi Batwoman
         My guitars are either in their case on a stand or being played. There is too big a risk for me to lean a guitar against a table or wall, a knock or bump and you could break your guitar.
         You can buy a guitar stand for $10-$12 Aussie dollars on ebay so it's a small investment.
Sub tropical climate should be fine for your guitar I looked at your profile and noticed you are in Australia too.
I live near Newcastle on the east coast and don't need to humidify my guitars. Unless you live inland or use a lot of air conditioning you should be OK.

Cheers
    Chris
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:40:11 am by Christopher »
The music business: a cruel shallow money trench where thieves & pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
Hunter S Thompson

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 129
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 01:21:35 am »
I agree with get a stand even a cheap stand is better than leaning against a table.
It's a good idea to know what your humidity is. If your in tbe same area as Christopher you problibly
don't need to worry.

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 02:18:23 am »
The big factor you've not mentioned is humidity. Too much and you can get swelling in the top, other problems. Generally these are easily corrected.  Easy instructions to make one... http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Guitar-Humidifier/.

Thanks a lot for this good advise Hooked. I'll have a go at making a gauge, thanks for the link.

There is too big a risk for me to lean a guitar against a table or wall, a knock or bump and you could break your guitar. You can buy a guitar stand for $10-$12 Aussie dollars on ebay so it's a small investment.
Sub tropical climate should be fine for your guitar
I live near Newcastle on the east coast and don't need to humidify my guitars.

Thanks a lot Chris. We're in the same state, I'm a bit futher north than you and living on the coast. I'm getting the message loud and clear from all three of you, thanks stitch 101 for your input, that I need to buy myself a stand.

Good vibes to all three of you, and thankyou.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 06:40:09 am »
US based forums get evangelical over humidifying guitars.

We don't have such issues in Australia. Every guitar store I've asked looked at me like I was nuts. They keep their guitars in AC controlled rooms because of the temperature variances here, but no one I know bothers with a humidifier.

I don't have my acoustic in a case and it's in a room where not much AC gets in. I've had no issues with it in 4 years.

Online Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 07:43:09 am »
You need to bring out your tin-foil hat if you are a regualar at the acousticguitarforum. These guys takes care for their guitars to the extreme.
As already mentioned, you are fine if you can keep the humidity anywhere between 40-55 pct relative humidity. So get yourself a gauge. In my humble opinion: if you are comfortable, chances are your guitar will be too.
In this part of the world we do experience dry indoor climate due to cold'ish weather and over-insulated houses, and this causes quite dry air indoors. During winter we often experience as low as 30pct. This made me buy a low cost air humidifier for our living room and it keeps the humidity at 45pct.
Besides from removing the risk of drying out my guitars, which are hanging on the wall, it also helps from dry eyes and skin. We have really been surprised how much it helps to get this part of indoor climate stabil and within good tolerances.

And... get a stand for that guitar before it goes wrong!
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:02 pm »
US based forums get evangelical over humidifying guitars.

We don't have such issues in Australia. Every guitar store I've asked looked at me like I was nuts. They keep their guitars in AC controlled rooms because of the temperature variances here, but no one I know bothers with a humidifier.

I don't have my acoustic in a case and it's in a room where not much AC gets in. I've had no issues with it in 4 years.

Thanks Drubbing, having a chuckle over the way you put things. Good vibe to you.

You need to bring out your tin-foil hat if you are a regualar at the acousticguitarforum. These guys takes care for their guitars to the extreme.
In my humble opinion: if you are comfortable, chances are your guitar will be too.

And... get a stand for that guitar before it goes wrong!

Ha ha Joerfe, 'tin foil hat' another reason to have a laugh. Thanks for your humour and your good advise and yes, I'm buying a stand on Saturday. Good vibe to you.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 129
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 12:10:07 am »
Batoman if you can afford a hurcules stand I highly recommend them. They have no vinyl on them which
can stain your guitar and the stand behind their warranty.
I use the ones with auto locking hangers both wall hanger and floor strand.

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 02:57:52 am »
Batoman if you can afford a hurcules stand I highly recommend them. They have no vinyl on them which
can stain your guitar and the stand behind their warranty.
I use the ones with auto locking hangers both wall hanger and floor strand.

I really appreciate the pointers, stitch, thanks a lot.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App