Author Topic: Autumn Leaves  (Read 563 times)

Offline oldhead49

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 11
Autumn Leaves
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:20:29 am »
I started on this thinking it would be an easy song to learn.  Wrong - at least for me.
I'd like to refine it.  All feedback is welcomed.
Thanks for listening.

https://app.box.com/s/tsaqbe9j6sslad5ykrsgj7pjtcmq9hm6

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
Re: Autumn Leaves
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 04:23:35 am »
I'll probably be flamed for saying this  ;) I'd like to hear it without drums, so it's purely instrumental. I find the drums a distraction rather than an added dimension.

Offline oldhead49

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:49:12 am »
I'll probably be flamed for saying this  ;) I'd like to hear it without drums, so it's purely instrumental. I find the drums a distraction rather than an added dimension.

You won't get flamed by me.  Unfortunately, the drum track was merged into the first guitar part so I can't separate them.  I'll be making a re-do of this, hopefully in the near future, and I'll post one without the drums.  That could be interesting. 
Your feedback is appreciated.

Offline oldhead49

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 02:40:32 am »
I started on this thinking it would be an easy song to learn.  Wrong - at least for me.
I'd like to refine it.  All feedback is welcomed.
Thanks for listening.

https://app.box.com/s/tsaqbe9j6sslad5ykrsgj7pjtcmq9hm6

Batwoman - No drums Version 2 added here - slow, and much harder to play this way, at least for me.  This is a real learning experience.  I really feel vulnerable putting it out here, but have at it.

https://app.box.com/s/rwvreg0ydfttn9qps2qdaljzncerxxr8

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 02:50:11 am »
Batwoman - No drums Version 2 added here - slow, and much harder to play this way, at least for me.  This is a real learning experience.  I really feel vulnerable putting it out here, but have at it.

Wow Oldhead49, this is BEAUTIFUL. I love the interplay of melodies, the timing, the sensitivity of interpretation, the clarity of mood. There is a purity and an immediacy to this that I can't quite find words for, but it's a sound that goes right to the core of my being. I must confess, I shed a tear or two. I'm sort of glad in an embarassed way that my comment about the drums has 'encouraged' you to produce this fine piece of music. Thankyou for being vulnerable too. Be assured that this listener is very glad you have posted this. Goo vibe to you Oldhead49.

Offline oldhead49

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:20:58 am »
Thank you, Batwoman, for those uplifting words.  No need to be embarrassed about encouraging me to try it without drums.  It certainly made me dig a little deeper than I otherwise would have and I learned a few things along the way.  It's a journey.

Offline Unsui

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:53:44 pm »

This is a wonderful and very emotional rendition of a beautiful song oldhead49. I really really love your performance. Good vibes for you!

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 07:13:19 pm »

Lovely.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline DarrellW

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 09:34:26 pm »
Wow....... just wow!!!
Playing without the drums absolutely transformed it, definitely a case of less is more!
good vibes!!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:37:34 pm by DarrellW »
Acoustic: Taylor 214ce, Sigma 00M -15, old no name classical
Electric: Squire classic vibe 50's tele; 1998 Squire affinity tele (bit battered and bruised ;) ).
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro Harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline chix2

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • Loros charity with my song on it
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 12:09:30 pm »

Oh yeah good job dropping the Drum, listened to both. the one solo play was very much more pleaseing the slowed down aproatch really gave it that warm classic touch. very nice this is defently your thing

Offline oldhead49

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 09:16:10 pm »
Thanks Unsui, Borodog, DarrellW and chix2 for taking time to listen.  Your comments are greatly appreciated.

It's nice getting others' perspectives on what we do here.  Honest critique is always good.  Had it not been for Batwoman's comments about dropping the drums, I probably wouldn't have dropped them in V2, which I believe ended up being a better version, even though it could still use some work. 

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 07:20:17 pm »
Sweet. Jumped straight in to the drumless version.

Really like to tone and overall feel, nice laid back groove going on. Reminder me of a '50s movie soundtrack and I mean that in a good way.  8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline oldhead49

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 02:38:12 am »
Thanks, Toby.   I've got about a 33 percent hearing deficit in both ears (mainly in higher decibels) and I never know for sure what the tone sounds like that I'm posting, so your comment about the tone means a lot.

Offline davidvac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
    • Holbrook
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 03:49:25 pm »
@oldhead49 - You have my admiration. This is delightful!

I agree with the others about taking the drums out. It's cleaner and the melody just comes through.

I particularly liked the melodic shift down at around 1:20 and the really nice bends at 1:40.

Congratulations - I feel like I need to go and put my tux on!
Martin LX1E, TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, Laney AH4x4, Focusrite iDock

Offline DavidP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 09:36:31 am »
Oldhead,

Now, that app.box thing is behaving, I could catch up on this one ...

WOW ... stunning.  Pushed all kinds of nostalgia  buttons for me. 

As I listened to it a name sprang immediately to mind "Ike Isaacs" ... it sounded so like him.  He was a jazz guitarist, who at one time played in a group well known to and loved by my parents. It also took me to Paris.

So I had to Google and found that the first track on Ike's record I Love Paris is Autumn Leaves.  We had the record at home and when I was old enough to have my turn-table drivers license, it was one I'd play frequently.

I guess that is about as good a compliment on your version as you could get.

Thank you Thank you Thank you ... for great memories and feelings evoked

I listened to both versions and had the following thoughts ...

With drums ... I wonder if the drums were softened and sat "underneath" the guitar, how that might sound.  Perhaps get the drum sound like it was being played with brushes, rather than sticks?

Without drums ... felt a just a little slow ... probably my subconscious mis-matching it with the Ike version?  That said, I wonder if you maybe added a little more sustain to some of individual notes and phrases.  Can't believe I am about to say this ... more like a hard-rock ballad intrepretation ... perhaps inspired by how Gary Moore played at times ... just a teeny-weeny bit dirtier  :) Don't know, equally likely to be dreadful, like root canal without aneasthetic  :)

Be those comments as they may ... I just loved this ... going to stop now ... may just dash over to my Dad's place in the back and stick the record one.

Cheers, David

Get The Forum As A Mobile App