Author Topic: Laila's Road Case  (Read 5601 times)

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: Laila's Road Case
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 09:19:21 pm »
Yeah, I'm still a blabbermouth. It's too fun around here.

So cool that you managed to maintain your progress, and your callouses while you were gone! I think I've probably seen guitaleles before, but didn't know what they were called. Good for you for practicing in public! That's almost performing!

Have fun outside!

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 11:19:59 am »
Hey all!

Still around, and playing some. Here's an update, for my records.

After a long guitar hiatus in April and May I found that my practice skills were pretty much just the same, surprisingly enough. So after consolidating for three days I called quits on stage 5. Altogether I spent 26 practice days on stage 5, spread out over (yikes) almost three months.

Started stage 6 a month ago, and have had 16 practice days so far. I've spent some days just playing songs, and at my dad's birthday party some weeks ago I played through quite a lot of songs with people listening, which was a first! I insisted that someone sing along with me, though. There's a huge difference between playing *with* someone, and playing *for* someone.

I've been spending most practices working hard on the full barre F, which is a bear, but now I'm getting it right every time on the first attempt, which feels great. It's still buzzy on one-minute changes, but I know that I can do it consistently right, though slowly. And then I've been kicking back and playing whatever songs I feel like afterwards, rather than practicing specific songs. In the process I've discovered impossible songs (Wake me up), really fun songs (These boots are made for walking), and The Easiest Song in The Songbook (Tide is High).

Aaand I managed to peel off my main fingertip callous (middle finger) and I'll never do that again. Hurt like h*** for a few days until it hardened up again.

So. Not a huge amount of playing going on, but still sticking at it and seeing progress. It's nice to know that it's possible to take a break without everything falling apart. At this rate I'll be finished with the BC after maybe two years, without putting everything else I do on hold.
BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 11:41:43 am »
Congratulations, Laila! I'm very impressed that you played at your father's birthday party. Sounds like it was fun!

Nothing worse than losing a callous. Ouch.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Offline Wheelin Rev

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
  • 4-String Convert In-Process
    • DAT Ministries
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:24 pm »
Hi Laila, I've been following your posts which have been a huge encouragement to me. You seem to be a natural when it comes to guitar playing and have done a great job with JustinGuitar.com's Beginner's Course Stages. I wish I were progressing as rapidly as you are. But then, that is why you are such an inspiration to me.

You see, I am a 61 year old disabled individual that started with Justin's courses in January 2017. I am still on BC-12x (Stage 2) but I do see progress. It is your posts that have given me encouragement and the will to not give up. Please continue to post your awesome progress.  It truly is encouraging for me.

Cheers! Dave

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Rev. David E. Hamm
Severn, Maryland, USA (Skype ---> PastorDATM)
Guitars and Amps:
1978 Fender Precision Bass (Sold 1987)
2016 Squire Affinity Strat HSS by Fender (January 2017) with Marshall Code 50 Modelling Amp and Fender Frontman 15G Amp

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 10:04:07 pm »
Oh, it was, Red! :-D
Wheelin, what a nice thing to say. You may have me confused with someone else though, as I'm not progressing fast at all. If anything I hope to show that it's fine to be slow, to have other hobbies and take long breaks from guitar. I'm still enjoying myself, have measurable progress and am getting through the course. Best of luck to you.

Sent fra min C6903 via Tapatalk

Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 07:42:19 am »
Oh, it was, Red! :-D
Wheelin, what a nice thing to say. You may have me confused with someone else though, as I'm not progressing fast at all. If anything I hope to show that it's fine to be slow, to have other hobbies and take long breaks from guitar. I'm still enjoying myself, have measurable progress and am getting through the course. Best of luck to you.

Sent fra min C6903 via Tapatalk
Hear! Hear! Well said, Laila.

It's not a race against the clock. It's not a contest to see who plays what and how well after so many months.

It's magical journey of learning and discovery, full of emotion and wonder, that is enriching me in unexpected ways, both my own experience as well as through all the music and conversation shared in this Community.

Keep on playing and love hearing from you when you are moved to sharer.

Cheers
David

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 03:05:12 pm »
Just in case anyone thought I'd given up or disappeared completely  ;D

Still practice a few times a week, still flub chords allatime, still enjoy playing. Here's today's shot at "Man in Black" (w/o capo, because there's no way in this universe my voice is ever going to match Johnny Cash's.)

https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph/man-in-black

Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 03:36:34 pm »
Good for you, Laila.

Wonderful job singing there, fabulous.

And your playing sounded fair flub free...a smooth, clear accompaniment.

Glad you took time to share, most enjoyable it was.

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 03:40:18 pm »
Channelling JC - in a different octave - very nice!!
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 12:48:49 am »
Very nice Laila. 

Nice smooth playing and the wonderful voice we've all come to know  :)
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 70
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 01:20:48 am »
Oh so good to hear from you Laila. Your voice is heaven to listen to. Thanks for dropping by.

Offline Golo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 10:29:00 am »
That was great.
You have such a nice voice, I really enjoy listening to it :)

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App