Author Topic: Direct connect of Electric Guitar into DI  (Read 609 times)

Offline phobkirk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
    • Black Iguana
Direct connect of Electric Guitar into DI
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:16:59 am »
My sons recently played a set at a large pub, this place has a full outside stage in a very large multi-tiered beer garden with multiple restaurants. The sound guy said "no amps", so they played the set with an acoustic guitar and cajon.

I realized that the reason for the "no amps" was that the sound was relayed throughout the huge complex, the house PA setup and sound engineer where top quality. And I guess the sound guy didn't want to be battling with a guitar AMP or drumkit, he wanted full control over the sound level.

He suggested that if the boys wanted to use an electric guitar next time they should get a pedal that "simulated" a guitar amp, as plugging an electric guitar direct into a DI gives are poor quality sound.

Can anyone suggest some pedals that we should look at?

The set was a success so they will be invited back.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 322
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Direct connect of Electric Guitar into DI
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:55:31 am »
I went DI using a Zoom G3X.
They are fantastic.
FX, amp sims, looper, drum patterns etc.
Easy to use and understand.
There is also a Zoom G3.
It doesn't have the footpedal attached.
The footpedal can act as expression pedal, wah, volume pedal etc.
So it may not be needed.
They are crazily inexpensive for what they are.
And they do sound good.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:11:09 am by close2u »

Offline VanManNW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 03:18:25 pm »
If you have an iPad, computer, maybe even smartphone, you can use something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SonicPort?adpos=1o2&creative=156936231009&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=SonicPort&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwrbEBRDqxqzMsrTGmogBEiQAeSE6ZbcMIcEoIMq60fgKHj_43X7xjch292QHzU6k6OR_pn0aArw38P8HAQ

I use this one with my iPad. The free Line 6 POD app has a grip of amp models and effects. Or you can use GarageBand for the same thing.

If you use a computer with a Scarlett or other interface, there are many great programs for changing your tone. Many are free. Your son would also gain many tools in addition to a DI amp simulator.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:20:20 pm »
Digitech, Boss, Line 6, Hotone, Zoom...

Pretty much any multi-fx system that offers amp emulation will do this.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 136
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »
The Kemper is THE one but it ain't cheap and might be overkill, though it's superb, and what I use day to day now!

Other great option is the old Mesa V Twin pedal, all valve and great sound into a desk! The SansAmp is another old school option!

Line 6 have an on the floor pedalboard option which supposed to be great too but I've not used it!

J.

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 134
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 01:27:40 pm »
when trying out such simulators, make sure to test what sounds best; with cabinet sim on or off. I found out that, whether it is a small cheap unit or the marvellous Kemper our our lead guitarist; the cabinet simulation makes a -huge- difference
my band Point Fifty

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 02:18:19 pm »
Line 6 have an on the floor pedalboard option which supposed to be great too but I've not used it!

I assume you are talking about the Helix, which I have heard good things about. The Boss GT-100 is also moderately well regarded for this too. The Boss GT-1 basically has the same engine but in a smaller, less expensive package with fewer switching options.

I guess it really depends what the budget is and what sort of quality they are after. If it's for the occasional pub gig across a garden with the volume levels kept quite low, then something cheap may be more than good enough.

I was involved in a production the other day which had a band in a hall seating 200 people. The violin player was using a Digitech RP300, and the electric guitar player had a Boss GT-10 (the version before the GT-100) both fed directly into a mixer/PA, and it sounded great.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:19:23 am by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline VanManNW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 02:22:12 pm »
Justin's comment about the SansAmp made me think of the Fly Rig. Which I think is the SansAmp's evolution.

They come in several flavors, and I've heard rave reviews. I love the simplicity as compared to some of the previously mentioned multi-effects pedals.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FlyRig5?product_id=FlyRig5&adpos=1o1&creative=173874031892&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5bvEBRCM6vypnc7QgMkBEiQAUZftQGFvzDqGwmUY6MnyfwpaFi1wWcdC_1A3LlBPyEOijksaApnz8P8HAQ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App