Author Topic: Rules, prizes and how this is going to work.  (Read 39860 times)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: Rules, prizes and how this is going to work.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 02:57:17 pm »
Justin may have already tried this or looked into it, but I am wondering if every 3 months or some other time interval all the monthly winners could be looked at for the best submission for the quarter, 6 months or yearly cycle. Then possibly get a grand prize of something donated by a manufacturer or supplier. Since this is a guitar board, dreams of a nice new guitar come to mind.

Thanks,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 03:00:49 pm »
Looking at the mix of styles in the first month, I'm struck by the distinction between produced multitrack entries and unplugged live performances. Maybe some distinction in judging might be good here too...?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 04:01:11 pm »
if every 3 months or some  Then possibly get a grand prize of something donated by a manufacturer or supplier. Since this is a guitar board, dreams of a nice new guitar come to mind.

I think he's been trying to get LBro Inc to donate a Marshall stack every quarter and a complete UAD Quad Appolo recording rig on the 6 months.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 04:09:46 pm »
Looking at the mix of styles in the first month, I'm struck by the distinction between produced multitrack entries and unplugged live performances. Maybe some distinction in judging might be good here too...?

Justin is the judge. He left the criteria to win wide open so the most people have a chance. The whole point is to not be overly objective. To not force you into a mold you have to fit in to win.
Gone

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 04:17:31 pm »
Justin is the judge. He left the criteria to win wide open so the most people have a chance. The whole point is to not be overly objective. To not force you into a mold you have to fit in to win.

Very well put TB-AV. Indeed, I think the key is to leave a certain impression. a surprise, a feel-good moment, a moment of awe or a time to be intrigued...could be anything!
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 05:55:48 pm »
Official results announcement.
From the newsletter:
"Monthly Song Performance Competition
So the winner for the first competition is Amelie for her rendition of Me & Bobby McGee. She got a lot of spirit and was shortlisted by all the judges! Special mention to davidvac too, really great performance - well done everyone, it wasn't easy to pick a winner! I managed to give a little feedback while I listened to each entry and will try again this month!"

Honourable mentions to all entrants,
3rd place is still being considered ... watch this space

Winning prizes:
Amelie - skype with Justin
davidvac - Practical Music Theory (courtesy of Omar)
tbc - The Comfortably Strange digital album (courtesy of close2u)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:01 pm »
Sorry to ask again but was their a definitive answer on the legality of using a drum-machine is a tool like GarageBand?

I'm interested to try something different - putting a more produced piece together rather than just hitting record - but this rather relies on some percussion!

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2017, 01:45:36 pm »
How does this work? Can I record any Song I want? I definately want to be a part of this. I do not have a chance to get in the top 3 but it will be fun and helps me to get better.

Sent from my F3111 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2017, 08:16:33 pm »
 @ rolandosn
Check the rules
Post up a new recording
Bob's your uncle

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 07:10:32 am »
Re: April's competition.
Sorry that there is a delay in making a decision on the winning entry.
Justin has been on holiday.
Please have a little more patience.
Thanks
 :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 09:59:02 am »
Thanks Close2u,

No problem.  A real privilege to have such a competition plus the fact that Justin provides comments on the entries, all from a desire to help people learn and master the guitar.  I'm quite content to wait.

Meanwhile, working on my May submission :)

Cheers
David

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 02:47:50 pm »
+1! I can't believe he takes the time to comment on everyone's song. So generous of him!

I'm afraid that Justin isn't going to be able to comment on everyone's entry this month.
A combination of many entries, lack of time & family commitments.

The winner & honourable mentions have been chosen.
Look out for the Newsletter.
I'll announce in the forum once that has circulated a day or two.

Look out for 'guest' judges coming soon all being well.

Also ... can I please ask, if you make an entry, can you start the title of your thread with

004 May 2017
then
005 June 2017
then
006 July 2017
etc

This will save me a lot of mod-edit time when I migrate them all to archives.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:35:38 am by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2017, 04:30:47 pm »
Just a thought on this end and if you think about it, in a given amount of time it is possible there will be few left to compete as few will be left in the non-winners pool!
LB

Hey LB ... I was looking forward to that day as then I may also have a shot at winning ... will also take so long for that to happen that I ought to be well into the Intermediate course by then  :)

OK just kidding ... originally I entered for the sake of producing an entry and getting feedback ... especially feedback from Justin, which then never happened ... without worrying about winning. And I got great feedback and encouragement!!

More optimistically, looking at the number of people who post either in AVOYP or Music Critique, it'll take a while to have no entrants and there are many new people joining who will also hopefully get into the sharing.  And, like me, many will see that sharing in the competition is just another safe way to enjoy this journey.

Cheers
David 

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2017, 04:45:26 pm »
More optimistically, looking at the number of people who post either in AVOYP or Music Critique, it'll take a while to have no entrants and there are many new people joining who will also hopefully get into the sharing.  And, like me, many will see that sharing in the competition is just another safe way to enjoy this journey.

Well it seems to me the question is a matter of time eh? Not sure of that amount but it will always be a diminishing amount of folks participating. At least from the prospective winners group!

Ta,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2017, 05:01:11 pm »
Well it seems to me the question is a matter of time eh? Not sure of that amount but it will always be a diminishing amount of folks participating. At least from the prospective winners group!

That's true, LB ... we will lose a potential entrant every month  :)

And I guess over time, the quality of the winning entry may drop.  And that may or may not be a problem, depending on what the deeper intention and purpose in having the competition is. 

If that purpose is to encourage more people to play, record and post entries in the hope of winning the prize of the lesson or possibly receiving feedback from Justin, then I guess it is not the end of the world if the quality of the winning entry is not semi-professional?  It would be working towards Justin's purpose/mission to teach the world to play.

Cheers
David

Get The Forum As A Mobile App