Author Topic: Rules, prizes and how this is going to work.  (Read 43729 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
Re: Rules, prizes and how this is going to work.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:32 am »
In order to enter  the contest, we have to send a video.  You don't really want to see videos of real beginners do you?

Welcome to the forum Dhyanne  :) It doesn't have to be a video. You can make an audio recording.
The other option, if you don't feel ready to enter the competition is to post a recording on the Beginners Thread.

Is it possible to do a monthly video where all us beginners can have a one on hundreds session?

Not sure what you mean?

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 156
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 10:17:12 am »
@Dhyanne
audio only is also permitted as entry;
It is easy to create an account on soundcloud and upload music there!
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 04:20:08 pm »
I think this is a great idea and have been impressed with the entries already submitted.

I've just recorded a chord progression which may end up as the basis of an entry. Within my DAW I can add drums using something called Beat Designer. You just chose place the drum beat on the appropriate beat of the bar. For example Beat 1 bass beat 2 snare, etc.

After seeing martyfirball's entry moved I'd like to know whether would this count as a backing track?

Thanks,

Keith

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 04:46:48 pm »

You are allowed to record instruments separately and send in a multi-track mix though.
[addendum - no backing tracks and no collaborations during this 'open' part of the competition phase - thanks]

I would define it thus:

Collaboration - a recording made with one or more other people contributing on instruments or vocals, with communication between the persons and viewed as a shared venture.

Backing track - a pre-recorded track, made by a third party unknown to you, obtained either freely or by payment, containing one or more instruments / vocals over which you record your own track.

Multi-track mix - a recording of more than one layered track, all of which you have recorded yourself (may include elements that you create  programme using fx, software, apps, DAW etc).

I will take these 'off-the-top-of-my-head' definitions and seek full clarification behind the scenes.

:)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 04:49:19 pm »
Could you clarify how a drum machine would fit in this? If guys it should be ok?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 03:57:28 pm »
This now included as definitions within the first post of rules etc...

Collaboration - a recording made with one or more other people contributing on instruments or vocals, with communication between the persons and viewed as a shared venture.

Backing track - a pre-recorded track, made by a third party unknown to you, obtained either freely or by payment, containing one or more instruments / vocals over which you record your own track.

Multi-track mix - a recording of more than one layered track, all of which you have recorded yourself (may include elements that you create or programme using fx, software, apps, DAW etc).

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 06:24:01 pm »

Quote from: close2u on February 08, 2017, 05:46:48 pm

Multi-track mix - a recording of more than one layered track, all of which you have recorded yourself (may include elements that you create or programme using fx, software, apps, DAW etc).

Close

I assume this includes backing tracks built from midi or say exported from Guitar Pro ? This in addition to your own recorded tracks (gtrs, singing etc).

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 07:38:13 pm »
I would expect MIDI drum groves would be the only exception since they are not harmonic in nature.

Other rhythm instruments would certainly fall under third party recordings. It's basically another musician playing and you simply plug their instrument in for them. Instant backing and harmony.

Drums don't typically do that.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2017, 06:20:38 pm »
TB - thanks for the clarification.

To be clear, I'm not making the rules. That's just my take on it. Otherwise everyone would be relegated to a basic click track or internal timing.

That's a lot different than a midi arrangement created by someone else. Or having a pro drummer play a track to your basic song to take it to the next level. I'm talking about EZ Drummer, S-Drummer, Addictive Drums, etc..

A beat is lot different than intelligent rhythm sections and backings or pro backing tracks.

With drums you still have to create a song. With pro backing, midi or otherwise, you are simply one instrument accompanying a per-existing performance.

Again, that's just the way I see it. Justin may have a whole different take on it but the thread is Song Performance... as in how well can you deliver a performance of a song on your own. Not how well can you 'fit in' to someone else's performance.
Gone

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
To make things more challenging and encourage all ...  I'll gladly gift the second runner-up (or any person chosen by the judges) Justin's Practical Music Theory ebook course.

I hope the organizers of this event don't mind of course. The ebook will be purchased from Justin store and the download link will be sent to the lucky person

This spirit of giving and encouragement deserves a bump.

Come on folks.
 :)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 07:22:54 pm »
And I am going to follow in Omar's generous footsteps.

I will purchase and send as a gift the brand new (released today) album by our very own The Comfortably Strange (Digger & Katja).
It is called Divided Joy, and is the perfect (ahem) romantic gift for Valentines and sweethearts everywhere.

https://thecomfortablystrange.bandcamp.com/album/divided-joy
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:09:31 pm by close2u »

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 08:14:38 pm »
And I am going to follow in Omar's generous footsteps.

I will purchase and send as a gift the brand new (released today) album by our very own The Comfortably Strange (digger & Katja).
It is called Divided Joy, and is the perfect (ahem) romantic gift for Velentines and sweethearts everywhere.

https://thecomfortablystrange.bandcamp.com/album/divided-joy

Good vibes for your generosity, sir :)

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 03:21:58 pm »
Is Feb 28th the deadline for participation?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 04:05:37 pm »
MONTHLY SONG CONTEST
Initial Phase

BLUF:

1. "The song has to be a solo performance."
("...allowed to record instruments separately and send in a multi-track mix...")

2. "No backing tracks and no collaborations during this 'open' part of the competition phase - thanks."

3. "Voting will 'reset' on the first of each month."

4. "I would like it to be about taking part, getting you to film or record yourself playing, doing your best and getting community feedback."

Quoted content from this introduction post on page 1.
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=40951.0
Gone

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 06:34:31 am »
FEBRUARY CLOSED FOR ENTRIES

Get The Forum As A Mobile App