Author Topic: Rules, prizes and how this is going to work.  (Read 39879 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
Rules, prizes and how this is going to work.
« on: January 19, 2017, 11:02:11 am »
Howdy y'all!

I have seen how popular the Audio & Video of You Playing area of the forum community is. I thought it might be fun to acknowledge this and to encourage it further with a monthly competition. It is only open to registered forum users.

The prize is an hour skype lesson with me.   8)

During this hour we can chat about technique, guitars, songwriting, production or whatever you choose! Limit to one prize per person, per year.

To enter, all you need to do is make a new topic in the Song Competition area here and include a link to your performance of a song (YouTube video, Souncloud link or embed is easiest!). This could be a cover or an original. There is a limit of one entry per person per month. Once posted you can not update your entry ... no 'swapping' for a 'better' version. The song has to be a solo performance. You are allowed to record instruments separately and send in a multi-track mix though.

[Addendum 1]
No backing tracks and no collaborations during this 'open' part of the competition phase - thanks.

[Addendum 2]

Collaboration - a recording made with one or more other people contributing on instruments or vocals, with communication between the persons and viewed as a shared venture.

Backing track - a pre-recorded track, made by a third party unknown to you, obtained either freely or by payment, containing one or more instruments / vocals over which you record your own track.

Multi-track mix - a recording of more than one layered track, all of which you have recorded yourself (may include elements that you create or programme using fx, software, apps, DAW etc).

Once your post is live, other forum members can vote for it by clicking the LIKE button. These 'likes' will count towards the eventual monthly winner. I will also listen / view and act as a judge. Plus, I have enrolled the help of some musician / songwriter friends to judge and cast their votes.

A monthly winner will be chosen based on a range of criterion: how musical; creative; suprising; touching or just plain ass-kicking the recording is.

Voting will 'reset' on the first of each month. At the start of each month, a new folder will appear on the forum where the entries of that month can be posted. You can't enter a song you already used in a previous month.

Of course, I hope the incentive of winning will inspire you. But I would like it to be about more than just that. I would like it to be about taking part, getting you to film or record yourself playing, doing your best and getting community feedback.

The first winner will be decided on March 1st 2017. This first one is a bit longer to allow you guys and gals time to get it figured out, and for me to sort out any teething problems too! Thereafter, each competition runs from the start to the end of a month.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing and seeing you all soon! :) J.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:04:01 pm by close2u »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
Re: Rules, prizes and how this is going to work.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:27:03 am »
Hi Justin, I love this idea.

Will you and your musician/songwriter friends provide feedback on entries? I think this would be such an awesome addition to the format if it's possible.

Looking forward to it :)

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:13:57 am »
Wonderful idea, Justin!

I have a couple of questions:

Is there any kind categories based on experience? e.g. a winner from each category (beginner, intermediate, expert). We beginners can't keep up with experts ::)

Playing and singing or only playing? A diesel engine sounds better than my voice  :-\

Thank you, Justin :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:56:40 am »
@john256 - some probably, but not all - well depends on how many people enter I guess. Will ask our dev to look at the new soundcloud widgit.

@batwoman - :)

@Omar - no categories yet - will depend on how many entries we get - we might have some for original songs, ,maybe some for beginners - we'll see how it goes.

@chix2 - Cheers!

@Joerfe - perfect! :)

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline henrik2310

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 12:08:46 pm »
Hey Justin!
Great idea :)
I made a cover a few months back (November) based on one of your lessons. Can I add that or would it have to be a more recent/new upload?

Cheers

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 03:50:43 pm »
For the benefit of those with crippling self-doubt about their skill, ability, worth ... read this:

A monthly winner will be chosen based on a range of criterion:
how musical; creative; suprising; touching or just plain ass-kicking the recording is.

It provides scope for entries - and therefore winning entries - to be made by anyone. It is a truly 'open' competition. Certainly Justin and his fellow judges will aim to judge on merits both relative (in terms of ability level) and absolute (in terms of sheer quality). There is no preconceived idea of 'best' based only on whether you are a master-shredder or virtuoso. Many other factors come in to the reckoning. It may be that they can not be easily defined. To use a cliché or two ...
Does your entry have the X factor?
Does it have a certain je ne sais quoi?

Behind the scenes we have been discussing the possible future developments of this. We have been and are considering that if demand is high and participation overwhelming, if the range of skills and entries is broad, then it may allow for specific 'themed' competitions.

But that is all in the future.

For now:

shake a tail feather;
fill your boots,;
knock yourself out;
come and have a go if you think you're hard enough;
get stuck in;
just do it.

I can't wait!  :) 8) ;D

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 03:57:56 pm »
I made a cover a few months back (November) based on one of your lessons. Can I add that or would it have to be a more recent/new upload?

Hi henrik - that was your first post in the forum so clearly you have never uploaded that recording here. We do not want entries that have previously been uploaded to the justinguitar forum. Yours hasn't. That is cool.
Having said that - I'm sure any new recording would be current and reflect your developing skills in a better light.
ps
welcome to the forum
 :)

Can I win once?

Sorry CZ.
In the small print it reads ... "Any forum member has a chance of winning this competition (apart from Dutchies)."

Ha ha
 ;) :o

I'm one of the people too shy (and too crap at playing) to post ... I'll be leaving it to the shining stars and rising stars to claim their prize. 
Some day, some time, soon, you will look back at his and overcome your obstacle. I hope it is sooner.  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:38:00 am by close2u »

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 04:01:50 pm »
Great idea, looking forward to hearing more people play ;)

Just to be clear - if I read the rules correctly, it is not allowed to use any kind of backing tracks? If those are the rules, then that's cool. But it does seem exclude a rather large category of entries.
Either you need to have the skills to play or program all instruments needed for a song yourself... or it pretty much has to be an acoustic solo piece?

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 04:51:14 pm »
Great idea, looking forward to hearing more people play ;)

Just to be clear - if I read the rules correctly, it is not allowed to use any kind of backing tracks? If those are the rules, then that's cool. But it does seem exclude a rather large category of entries.
Either you need to have the skills to play or program all instruments needed for a song yourself... or it pretty much has to be an acoustic solo piece?

Justin said multi-track recordings are OK and creating a backing track using software would still be your creation - I'd assume you could run a drum-machine or something.

Offline schlaffenwagen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 05:45:46 pm »
Hi all,
That's a cool idea. Only one question - are the collaboration projects allowed or it's just for single performers?
Keep on rocking!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:20:11 pm »
@Kasper
@schlaffen
I will seek clarification
 :)

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 07:01:06 am »
To make things more challenging and encourage all - especially @batwoman - I'll gladly gift the second runner-up (or any person chosen by the judges) Justin's Practical Music Theory ebook course. I have it and I highly recommend it. All of us should have it.

I hope the organizers of this event don't mind of course. The ebook will be purchased from Justin store and the download link will be sent to the lucky person.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 07:48:33 am »
To make things more challenging and encourage all - especially @batwoman - I'll gladly gift the second runner-up (or any person chosen by the judges) Justin's Practical Music Theory ebook course. I have it and I highly recommend it. All of us should have it.

I hope the organizers of this event don't mind of course. The ebook will be purchased from Justin store and the download link will be sent to the lucky person.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

You just earned yourself a good vibe there, Omar. Very generous of you.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 08:06:27 am »
Clarification on rules.

Just to be clear - if I read the rules correctly, it is not allowed to use any kind of backing tracks?

Correct.

are the collaboration projects allowed or it's just for single performers?

No collaborations.

Offline Dhyanne

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 12:03:30 am »
Hi, Um I am a beginner who learned the A, E, D and C chords.  I am really struggling with strumming.  In order to enter  the contest, we have to send a video.  You don't really want to see videos of real beginners do you?  I have trouble with the pick and trouble with strumming with either a pick and/or my fingers.  I am almost 66, so what can one expect?

Is it possible to do a monthly video where all us beginners can have a one on hundreds session?

Thank you.  P.S.  I love watching you play and practice.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App