Author Topic: Record video on mobile/iPad using proper mic.mixer as audio input?  (Read 331 times)

Offline john256

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 12
I'd like to try recording myself doing songs with video as well as audio to get feedback, not just on guitar but for singing too.

I don't have a webcam but my phone has a good video camera, however not great for audio especially when I have an SM58 and small mixer interface used for audio normally.

It feels like I should be able to get the output from either my mic, or a monitor feed from my mixer/PC/anywhere really and make my phone think this is a microphone if I can get the right 3.5mm cable configured. But I don't understand the cable/jack phones use that allow them to have mic/speaker in one little jack, to know what adapters or cables I would need to convert a simple 3.5mm out from my mixer => phone microphone.

Is this just a case of finding the right £3 cable/adapter and if so what terms do I need to be looking for when searching?

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
Re: Record video on mobile/iPad using proper mic.mixer as audio input?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:05 pm »
Reaper can work with video files. If you record your audio into Reaper using your audio interface at the same time as you record the video with your phone, you can just upload the video from your phone to your computer, import the video into Reaper, and then line up the audio track from the video with your DAW recording:

You can also do the reverse by recording both the audio and video at the same time using your phone and DAW, and then export the DAW recording and import it, and the phone video into your video editing application - then line up the audio and the video.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:10:20 pm by Scooter Trash »
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:54:36 pm »
Once you've got audio and video recording simultaneously, clap in your hands so you can line up the clap in the video with that on the recorded audio. :)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline john256

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:38:06 pm »
Yeah I saw the option of getting separate audio and video and recombining them, it just seemed like it should be possible to get a line-in to my phone and cut out a step for a quick recordings? If I ahve to splice my own weird 3.5mm cable then I can't be bothered but if you can buy a 3.5mm AUX -> 3.5mm phone adapter cable then worth a go.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:57:16 pm »
Yeah I saw the option of getting separate audio and video and recombining them, it just seemed like it should be possible to get a line-in to my phone and cut out a step for a quick recordings? If I ahve to splice my own weird 3.5mm cable then I can't be bothered but if you can buy a 3.5mm AUX -> 3.5mm phone adapter cable then worth a go.

Yes, assuming your phone will accept a line input, you can use an adapter cable to go between a small mixer or interface and the 1/8" line input of your phone. You can buy pre-made cables, or build your own. The 1/8" input will be Tip left, Ring, right, and sleeve shield/ground.  So using 1/4" unbalanced outputs from your mixer buses you would build a "Y" cable using two 1/4" phone plugs, and a TRS plug.  The signal/center conductor of one cable would go to the tip of the 1/8" plug. The signal/center conductor of the other cable would go to the ring, and all the shields would be combined and connected to the sleeve.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are unbalanced signals and may be susceptible to RF, EMI, etc. So you'll want to keep the cable length as short as practically possible.

You may have to go into your phone settings and tell the phone to use the line input.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline john256

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:04:53 pm »
I found this: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/add-an-audio-input-to-android-1189160

Looks useful, the the trick seems to be to get your line in seen as the headset mic channel

Offline willsie01

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:26:45 pm »
I hope it's not against forum etiquette to piggy back on this thread... ;)

I also want to record myself playing (an acoustic) and singing for a few reasons.

1.I want to hear what I sound like for self-appraisal as suggested by Justin.
2. I want to hear what my guitar sounds like on the other side :)
3. I want to see how I position both my hands and the guitar itself.
4. To share the results on the "performance" threads of the forum to get feedback from my fellow guitar compatriots.

Writing this it occurs that a setup that replicated a guitar lesson by Justin would be ideal.
Particularly, in the scope of the video, without necessarily needing as good a set-up as he probably has.

I would like advice on the sort of gear I need, both in camera and in microphone.

I bought an Apogee One on eBay recently for Garageband use but I don't know if tthis would adapt to what I want. Possible combining of audio and video in GarageBand?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 313
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:23:00 am »
Smartphone for video

Or most any small digital cam that records video.

that's a nice interface so good to go there. My understanding is it has an XLR input + a built in mic?

You could add a mic like some affordable large diaphragm condenser.

OR... if you want to invest in something that will grow with you and never get old... something like a Shure SM7b which are super nice but not too expensive. If you want to here how good they can sound even in a simply room environment... but this girl can sing like I don't know what. She is crazy good. I don't --think-- there is another mic there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sWds1WhQ2I

ETA: be sure to look at YouTube reviews. That interface may not be able to drive that mic or something like a ribbon. Just thought I better add that.

The point being from $300-$500 you can start collecting industry standard mics that will last forever and always hold their value.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline john256

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 08:23:12 am »
All my attempts to get line-in to my phone have failed. Bought some simple adapters but no luck... I get weird things like the music signal is changing my phone volume which implies the connections are screwy.

Maybe a mono Vs stereo thing, hard to say. Maybe using the iPad will work better but the camera is far worse.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 313
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 02:15:41 pm »
For all using iPad, phone, camera, etc.

You need to read the instructions for your specific device. Adapters may be required. These are generally fairly inexpensive and again can be collected for long term use as they typically do no go bad and they all do pretty much the same thing.

One issue with most any phone, camera, etc.. is that the the automatic recording level, automatic gain level, or whatever they want to call it. Sometimes a limiter is in place.

All that stuff needs to be turned off and you need to learn how to operate your device in manual mode. Again that is in the manual and once in manual mode you follow the same techniques of gain structure and mic placement that one uses for any audio gear.

Does that mean you will always be able to get a great video + audio in one pass? NO. what you can do though is get great audio happening. Then after all the audio is done, go back and record a 'video performance'... or basically make a "music video" with your finished audio mix as your audio track.

In fact you probably want to record several video tracks too, and edit a final video... .the same as you do for the audio.

It's possible to record the video and audio at the same time in one pass but it's more difficult especially if your room is not good. Which most aren't.

Sound absorbing panels will drastically change the sound of your room for the better and fairly cheap. However if you have a "music room" and can place such things on the walls.... do it. Do it first.

I have a modified plan for something similar to these if anyone lives in USA, I can tell what to buy from HomeDepot and WalMart(cloth). If you put I would say 12 of these in a 300sf room there is no one that will walk in and not be able to hear the difference. It's that drastic. That would be somewhere in the $100-$150 range.

Otherwise you can get everything connected but not be able to get rid of the horrible sounding room, which in the grand scheme is the cheapest and most bang for the buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSogByPUezc

That's the basis I modified, which covers all the wood, is easier to build, and possibly a bit less expensive.

It helps to have a nail gun and you need a saw. Otherwise it's screw and glue. I used strips of 1x1 and lattice strips.

This guy has some very nice ideas and I think I would incorporate them in to my next try. So I fell like mine make the first guy's design a little better/easier and maybe cheaper. This second guy makes them more robust and probably better. The mounting and the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBHYiWIJhUA

But those panels make a Yuuuge difference. More than a mic, interface, or whatever. Anyone that can't hear the difference they make probably has some very serious hearing loss. These are again, do it once and they basically never go bad. So it's money well spent.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Get The Forum As A Mobile App