Author Topic: Confusion setting up my USB interface and GarageBand  (Read 4373 times)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
Re: Confusion setting up my USB interface and GarageBand
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 09:51:39 pm »
Generally, you can't use two separate audio interfaces at the same time.
To clarify I am meaning one for instruments in and one as the sound playback device - this IS easy to do.
I just tested my bass->iRigHD->USB as my audio IN to GarageBand, with playback OUT through my existing USB mixer. This seems to work well, no detectable lag and means I can use GarageBand as a modelling amp.

This only lets me have a single channel which is fine if I want to practice bass/electric but I think I'll look into a 2-channel USB interface and get used to using that, relegating my current device as just a mixer.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 10:16:42 pm »
relegating my current device as just a mixer.

If you are going to do that, just sell it and buy and all analog mixer... unless it can be used as such. If you run everything into all analog you monitor off that for zero latency.

You need something with inserts on it though. Or two mixers... or... there are couple ways to do it. The point being you are listening to analog and not dealing with the digital transfers.

Here is one example.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYEKzY720aM

Here's about the most minimalist effort you could get. With diagrams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_BKmIsIQQ

ETA: actually the USB aspect is a non-issue, but I don;t think you little mixer can route to Phones only. That's a key aspect.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:01:20 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline FloraJay

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 04:51:33 pm »
Hi...I'd suggest that maybe we get a Digital Audio guide going over in the Guides part of this forum, where we can collate all the good information here and in other threads so we can have a definitive resource area to refer people to.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App