Author Topic: Crackling sounds on recordings in Reaper  (Read 421 times)

Offline Jadd

• Good Vibes 0
Crackling sounds on recordings in Reaper
« on: November 03, 2019, 05:42:42 pm »
Hi, I have recorded in Reaper a MIDI piano track using EZKeys and 3 guitar tracks and while listening back through the ASIO driver there's little to no audio crackling sounds but whenever it's played back any other way there's a lot of noticeable cracking sounds. I doubt it the laptop I am recording with as it should easily be able to cope with the recordings so I was wondering is there anything I can do to get rid of the crackling sounds?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A202F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline 8livesleft

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Crackling sounds on recordings in Reaper
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 02:28:08 am »
Could be a driver issue. Try converting the track to WAV and listen again via your computer earphone or audio output.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Offline Peakoverload

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • How does Gilmour make it look so effortless!
Re: Crackling sounds on recordings in Reaper
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 10:18:00 am »
There are any number of things it could be but without some further info it's difficult to pin it down.

So you've recorded into Reaper using EZKeys and if you play it back through Reaper it sounds okay, correct?

You say that it doesn't sound okay when played back any other way but what are those ways? Are you saving it as a WAV, MIDI, MP3 file and then playing in another programme, if so which file formats and which software?

Things it could be are:

ASIO Driver not being released: Most software has the option to release the ASIO driver when the application using it no longer has focus. If you still have Reaper running but minimised when playing the file back in another application, the driver might not be being released properly.

ASIO/WDM Conflict: Similar to the above but when Reaper is using ASIO but the other application you are using is using WDM drivers. Both are using the same hardware and could cause a conflict especially if one  driver is set to a different sample rate or bit depth.

Bit Depth Mismatch: If Reaper was set to record in 24bit but your other application was set to play in 16bit you 'could' get a problem. In reality you are more likely to get a problem if Reaper was set to record in 16bit but you were playing back in 24bit. It SHOULD work without issue either way with a rendered audio file but I'm not sure about a MIDI file.

Clocking Issue: In a professional studio environment I would say look at your Word Clock/Video Sync/Sync Pulse Generator. In a domestic environment where you wouldn't typically have or need such things then I'd look at your sound cards/interface. If Reaper was set to record through your audio interface but you then playback using another program that uses for example the onboard sound card in your computer then, whilst not strictly speaking a clocking issue, you might well find that the onboard sound card is set to a different sample rate or bit depth to that of your audio interface.

There are a few other things but the above are the most likely causes.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App