Author Topic: Looking at chords, strums  (Read 1449 times)

Offline d19jordan57

• Good Vibes 0
Looking at chords, strums
« on: January 13, 2017, 06:57:10 am »
I mostly understand the goal during one minute changes (beginners course), but what I am unsure of is: 
1) Should I, at this time, be worrying about whether or not I am looking at the chords as I finger them.  I'm farily quick when I look at the chords, not so quick (nor accurate) when doing it blind.  Hopefully looking at the chords is okay until later in the course?
2) Same question regarding my strumming hand?  It's pretty tricky strumming the proper strings for a given chord without looking.  Hopefully looking as I strum is okay until later in the course?

DJ

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 55
Re: Looking at chords, strums
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:17:28 am »
As a beginner, as long it doesn't affect you posture, it is fine to look. It's expected, almost. As you progress, you should be able to play without looking at your hands - so you can connect with your audience, mug for the camera, flirt with fans in the front row etc. You can practice that separately, perhaps using mirror at first. But 1 minute changes is just about speed, and if you are faster when looking, then look.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:47:50 pm by Dr Winterbourne »
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline lildibs

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:38:21 pm »
I'm having same problem just can't seem to find my way with chords unless I'm looking, yet, can't strum correct strings unless I look, so don't worry it's not just you. I'm sure as with what tends to be the rule of thumb if we keep persevering and keep with minute changes it'll click at some point!

Sent from my SM-G935F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »
It's fine, in fact I would think it's important to look at your fingers at this stage to make sure you have your fingers in the optimal place such that the notes ring out clearly. You are in the process of building muscle memory and you want your fingers to go to the right spot without thinking about it. Once you get to that point not looking will happen.

Offline skinnyT

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 06:45:53 pm »
Its ok to look at first. One day, on about stage 4 or 5 , I realized I was playing without looking, it sort of just happened with both fretting and strumming. For me the strumming lags the fretting. I am still prone to hitting wrong strings strumming. I found playing in front of a mirror helps, you can see both hands (if the mirror is wide enough). You get a better view of the finger placement for the chords and it helps your posture in that  you are not hunched over the guitar trying to see things.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:53:50 pm »
Don't worry about looking at either you're fretting or strumming hand if you need to throughout the BC. As longs as you're not turning the neck too much in order to see your finger placement or straining your posture, its helpful to ensure you putting your fingers down in the right place or missing those unplayed strings. At some point in the future you'll stop looking without knowing it for all those early chords, just let it happen naturally.   8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App