Author Topic: Scale position proficiency?  (Read 811 times)

Offline RobM777

• Good Vibes 0
Scale position proficiency?
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:58:04 am »
Great lessons. For consolidation purposes i am solid on position one and position 2 and pretty solid on the 2 pattern studies, exploring and improv. How good does it have to be before moving on? Is there a BPM number for doing the scales in 3rd or 3 in a line in both position before i should move on? I don't want to rush but want to move on. How comfortable is comfortable enough to carry on to the next lesson?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 328
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Scale position proficiency?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 08:37:20 am »
Before moving on to pattern 3 I would spend some time meshing together patterns 1 and 2 both in a practice sense ... up 1, down 2 (with a slide to shift), in 3rds, 4ths, steps etc as you have been with the individual patterns. Get linking both fluently together with some improv playing over some back tracks.
Work at it until you no longer see them as two separate entities but actually as component parts of one larger web of musicality along the fingerboard.
Ultimately, you want to be able to connect all patterns all along the neck so start now.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 09:35:54 am »
^ what Close writes.
Get the two patters to work as one.
If you end up with five patters in your head you kind of limit your thinking/playing while soloing.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 01:01:39 pm »
Don't forget, it is not just "knowing" the scales.  It is being able to use them.  So remember to spend time improvising in each pattern as you go.  And as you get comfortable doing so in position, work on blending them.

Memorize and use pattern 1.
Memorize and use pattern 2.
Blend pattern 1 and 2.
Memoride and use pattern 3.
Blend pattern 2 and 3.
Blend pattern 1 2 and 3...

And so on.  No use "knowing" a pattern if you can't make music with it.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline RobM777

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 04:17:35 pm »
Thanks all. I guess i have to determine myself when its time to move on based on my own comfort with the positions and using them as a whole. Its as i suspected but thank you for the advice. Its really subjective. I mean when am i EVER going to say about a position or pattern or set of patterns that "Okay got that one nailed, don't ever have to practice that again" lol. I'll just keep 'making music' with the first 2 patterns as a unit and then move on.

Peace.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App