Author Topic: CS-012 • Sweet Child 'O Mine - Guns 'N' Roses [MAIN SOLO]  (Read 867 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3

Offline tafkag

• Good Vibes 0
Re: CS-012 • Sweet Child 'O Mine - Guns 'N' Roses [MAIN SOLO]
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:18:32 pm »
Thank you for these great lessons, Justin!

Just a quick question/remark to the first section of the second video.
I wonder if Slash isn't just releasing the bend on the 15th fret (second string), pulling off to the 12th fret, instead of starting the lick on the thinnest string. Seems easier to play for me and I think I heard and saw it this way in a few live videos (although I'm never so sure with these things, even after watching it like a thousand times back and forth).

Anyway, thanks again for the lessons! I'm finally trying to learn this one from start to finish. :)

Offline JJ90

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 01:28:43 pm »
Hi Justin,

LONG time viewer, but first time I've actually used the forum. First of all it has been an absolute pleasure learning Sweet Child O Mine properly with your lessons, they are excellent!

My question is related to the "monster lick" at the end of part 1 that builds up to the "wah" craziness. As this is a lesson I want to use to push myself to the next level, I'm having a hard time building up the required speed. I use a free piece of software that allows me to loop and slow down (whilst maintaining pitch) this part of the song. But after practicing for about a week and a half I still remain stuck at roughly 70% speed. Especially my fretting hand seems to be at its limit. Even though I know speed building is a slow process I was wondering if you would have some additional thoughts or tips. Are there any pointers or exercises on the site that can help me increase speed and synchronizing my fretting and picking hand at a higher velocity?

I currently practice at a speed in which I can play it correctly to not learn any bad habits.

My second question is if I should continue with part 2 of the lesson or get this down first before moving on to the second part of the main solo.

Again, thanks a lot for your lessons!

Kind regards,
JJ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 06:37:27 am »
Welcome to the forum JJ90

There are some Technique lessons to explore ... https://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-000-Technique.php ... some will help you build speed.
It may be worth putting the song aside for a short time then coming back to it.
You often find - as if by magic - you can play better / faster following a break and focus on other practice elements.
So, yes, try part 2.
And try a few other things too.
Don't become obsessed with one part of one solo of one song for too long.
 :)

Offline JJ90

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 04:51:38 pm »
Thanks for your reply and recommendations close2u!

It has been a long time since I have visited the technique lessons on this site. After taking a look I added the "minimal movement" and "finger gym" to my practice routine. Only practicing the lick for a week and a half becomes boring and not so much fun  :P

I will continue with part 2 and some other lessons as well, while still practicing the monster lick also.

Cheers!

JJ

Offline Poalo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:35:28 pm »
Justin; thank you for the great lesson on Sweet child o mine.

Justin I am having trouble understanding the main solo part 2; is there a tab I can look at so I get it right?

Kind regards, Poalo

Get The Forum As A Mobile App