Author Topic: What does this Strumming Symbol Mean?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline jeff00

• Good Vibes 0
What does this Strumming Symbol Mean?
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:26:03 am »
I see this symbol in strumming patterns and I don't know what it means. How does it differ from a normal down strum? (Sorry for the ASCII art, the forum wouldn't let me post a link)

|
                                  |
                              __|
                             /_/

Offline MadCat

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Kassel-Germany
Re: What does this Strumming Symbol Mean?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 06:36:04 am »
Looks like a symbol for a note to me. If the "ball" on the bottom end is full, it is a quarter not, if it's empty it's a half note.

If it is a half note you would only play two of them per bar, if the tune is in four-four time.

At least that's what I suggest without knowing how and where it's written exactly.

Greetings
MadCat
My gear is here

Offline jeff00

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 08:08:30 pm »
From my previous post about the mysterious strumming symbol

I think I may have figured out what that strumming symbol means. It shows up in Justin Guitar Beginner's Song Book Volume 2 in songs like One by U2.

I THINK it means that the strumming is 16th note strumming, but it is being shown to beginners with 8th note strumming. Since it is shown as 8th note strumming it indicates playing the pattern twice as fast.

That's my best guess. If anyone else has the Beginner's Songbook V2 please take a look at this song and let me know.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 318
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 12:42:04 am »
You have enough posts now to post the link.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Online joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 09:57:23 am »
From my previous post about the mysterious strumming symbol

I think I may have figured out what that strumming symbol means. It shows up in Justin Guitar Beginner's Song Book Volume 2 in songs like One by U2.

I THINK it means that the strumming is 16th note strumming, but it is being shown to beginners with 8th note strumming. Since it is shown as 8th note strumming it indicates playing the pattern twice as fast.

That's my best guess. If anyone else has the Beginner's Songbook V2 please take a look at this song and let me know.

I think he (username suggests he's a 'he' - my name's Jeff too, and I'm definitely a he :) ) means this

That's a half note/minim down strum. It lasts for the count 1+2+ with a quarter note/crotchet down strum on count 3, followed by an eighth note/quaver up strum on the fourth + . The next bar is eighth note down strum on 1, eighth note up strum on +, quarter note down strum on 2 +, half note down strum on 3 + 4 +. Start again.

Does that make sense? If not, this might

http://lessonnotebook.com/2013/05/16/how-to-read-and-write-strum-notation/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:18:15 am by joueur de guitare »
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 318
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:53 pm »

That's a half note/minim down strum.

Does that make sense?

Correct, yes.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline MadCat

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Kassel-Germany
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 04:58:39 pm »

That's a half note/minim down strum. It lasts for the count 1+2+ with a quarter note/crotchet down strum on count 3,

The second note is a dotted quarter note, which prolongs it by half of its actual lenght. So it is basically three 8th notes long (a quarter + an 8th).
My gear is here

Online joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »
The second note is a dotted quarter note, which prolongs it by half of its actual lenght. So it is basically three 8th notes long (a quarter + an 8th).

Cheers. I missed the dot.

It was early. I was hungover.  ;D
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline jeff00

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 04:08:46 am »
Hey thanks for the replies. I think I makes sense to me. Also thanks for pointing out what that dot meant, I didn't even think to ask that.

I guess my follow up question would be, say you have quarter note strums on beats 1 and 3. And nothing else. Would that imply muting the strings on beats 2 and 4 so that the notes don't ring out too long?

@joueur de guitare
Would you mind re-posting that link? It appears to be dead, and I'd like to read that article.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 11:25:39 am »
Jeff, I believe there is a rest symbol on the second beat in that case.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 318
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 03:25:49 pm »
Yes, you will never see note timing values that don;t add up to a whole measure.

A quarter on 1 and 3 means there also will be some sort of accounting for the quarters on 2 and 4. So they either need to be rests or some other combination note values that add up to two quarters.

4 quarters = 1 whole. You always need a WHOLE measure.

If it were 3/4 time of course you would only need to account for the single quarter on beat 2. In this case 3 quarters = 1 Whole.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Get The Forum As A Mobile App