Author Topic: Before I buy this book  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Before I buy this book
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:44:11 am »
I have some questions.

1. Will i be able to copy it to my other devices. Will it be able to copy it to my kindle paperwhite and my iphone? I'm going travelling and can't take my computer.  I don't what you call the file.Hopefully its just the title we've already got.

2. when i look at the list of contents it looks like its explaining the music notation. I can already read music so i'm hoping and assuming its a lot different to that.

3. People here on this site often say just listen to the guitarist in a song to hear the rhythm. Well as a novice musician, i can only say its very very difficult to pick out the different instruments let alone the rhythm pattern of one of them.

4. I find i can understand where to change chords and such if i can have sheet music to look at and can see where the bars are and where the notes of the song fall within the bars. Is the system in this book, altogether another approach? It would be nice to be able to see one page significant page of the book to help us potential buyers understand what we are buying. I think these days with so many books sold online that book sellers tend to forget that the public is used to being able to look at and through a book before buy it. Its especially important for reference books. I think i want to buy this book but i feel like i'm diving in blind somewhat.

I mean i know what rhythm notation for guitar looks like but you don't see it very often in music for guitar wjhere nearly all you get is a chord above the words. - that is for most songs. I'm sort of hoping that thsi book will help me hear the rhythm when i'm listening to a song so that i can then figure out what rhythm to play. Im hoping htat somehow this book will help me bridge the gap between hearing a song and the chord music sheet and being able to put it together with a good strumming pattern. Is that what it will do? Will it help me understand from listening to a song whether its got 4/4 timing or 3/4 and whether i need quarter notes and sixteenth notes to make the strumming pattern.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
Re: Before I buy this book
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 09:58:26 am »
Hi Andrea

I have just bought the book so I will try and answer a few of your questions.

1 Yes, as long as you have a PDF reader it should work, you can make as many copies as you like.

2 Don't know, I can't read music. It teaches ties, dotted notes, rests, 8/16 notes etc and how to play them together and easily recognize and play them in rhythmic patterns. It also gets you used to playing patterns which change between whole /half / 8 / 16 notes with rests and ties.

3 I agree.

4 I think the book is not about where chords fit into bars, it is about the length of the notes or chords, there are no actual chords or notes in the book, only note symbols. When you play a chord how long does it ring for, how long is the rest, the book makes you practice this. When learning to play a new song I often find myself struggling to play and learn the strumming pattern. This is full of exercise patterns which need to be repeated over and over and after a while you should be able to recognize and play the pattern instantly when you see it in a song.

It is a bit like this but with more explanation and exercises.
http://www.musiccrashcourses.com/lessons/rhythm_notation.html

I am using the book by muting the strings and strumming the patterns to a metronome but eventually it is recommended you strum the patterns to scales

I think it works as I have only skimmed through it so far and looked at Iron Maidens The evil that men do song on Songsterr and recognized a pattern from the book. Theoretically if I had practiced that pattern from the pdf beforehand then I would have been able to play that bit of the song without much effort.

I assume that if you practice the exercises enough it will be easier to recognize the patterns being played in songs.

Jono

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 10:25:18 am »
Thanks Jono for your answer.

I was just about to buy it when i realised, will I be able to read it. I need to read it on my kindle. My iphone is a tiny one and i'm not sure i will be able to read much on it. I don't want to print it out as I'm going travelling and every gram counts on a bicycle. Justin any plans to get this up on amazon?

Putting in the link for my own benefit: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-012-UnderstandingRhythmicNotation.php

Offline Blue

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 04:37:30 pm »
I found this article on getting .pdf file to your kindle. There are also some videos as well!

errr looks like I can't post a link, so what I did was searched for "kindle pdf reader" and it was the first article.

But the article said that your kindle is able to read .pdfs its just a matter of sending the file to it.

Blue

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 01:16:38 pm »
Oh if the book is in pdf format then i can read it on my kindle. In fact, i probably just forgot this. Duh!

But one thing has come up with the music theory i'm currently reading on my kindle. The diagrams are quite small faint and hard to read. You can't really enlarge them either. I don't if that's a big issue with Justins' book but i'm actually pondering whether I should just buy the hard copy instead.

Offline mmmbert

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 04:46:03 pm »
These books there is no hard copy available. You have to print the file you have.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App