Author Topic: Is this a guitar problem or an amp issue?  (Read 996 times)

Offline shoreboy31

• Good Vibes 0
Is this a guitar problem or an amp issue?
« on: March 05, 2017, 03:21:37 am »
Guitar is a 2009 Indonesian built Squier Strat. Amp is Line 6 Spider II. I use a roland sheilded cable, 8ft. Problem is the sound. When strumming chords it seems the sound swells, then instantly drops off to a much lower volume, sometimes with a pop or crackle. I know the guitar is not necessarily made with the highest quality components, so I'm wondering if this is an inherent issue with the pickups, or if it's an amp problem. In the video I start with just the neck pickup, then switch to the bridge, and then work my way back up the 5-way switch. Just excuse the crappy playing...lol...I am still a rather green newbie..lol

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
Re: Is this a guitar problem or an amp issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 08:11:19 am »
Two possible things to my mind

Are the effects turned off? Sounds like there's a chorus or similar effect left on, causing volume swells.

The cuts out and popping suggest a faulty input connection - either at the guitar or the amp. I'd take both to a music store tech and ask them to test it. Best to get qualified people to diagnose electronic issues and not the interweb

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:03:21 am »
Sounds very much to me you have a chorus effect running, the flashing light on the rhs of your amp panel tends to confirm this, pops and crackles are usually down to bad contacts. On that price point guitar it's usually the 5 way switch or the jack input that's not very good, it's the first thing that is commonly upgraded.
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline Buckeye1971

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 12:13:17 pm »
If you have a guitar shop nearby go there and try your guitar out on one of their amps. If you still have a problem it's your guitar if not it's your amp. :)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 12:23:53 pm »
That won't help if he's left the amp effects on, which Darrell has drawn attention to. It certainly sounds like chorus, or reverb / delay are on.

Read the manual. Turn off the effects and take it from there. If there's still problems, revert to my first post.

Offline shoreboy31

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 05:14:51 pm »
Yes, I did have a chorus effect on. However it does this even on clean channels with gain all the way down. Actually no matter what I have the amp set to, it still does it.

Sent from my XT1585 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:21:50 pm »
In that case I would say that it's definitely a bad connection somewhere, could be soldering on the 5way switch or the jackplug socket or poor quality switch or socket - either way if you're not confident you could do it yourself I would get a Tech to look at it for you.
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 03:00:43 am »
Ahem, Gentlemen...
That amp has a built in noisegate.
That's what we're hearing here.

@ shoreboy31 : check the manual, there should be a way to tone down the noise gate a bit so it doesn't cut off the sound so agressively.
[edit] here's a digital version in case you don't have the manual : http://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/data/6/0a060b316ac34f059356ef0a9/application/pdf/Spider%20II%2015/30%20User%20Manual.pdf
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 04:12:04 am »
Well, see, you're the closest thing we have to an amp tech.

And taking it to a store was what most were suggesting he do in the first place. Or...RTFM.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 04:20:39 am »
Problem is, most stores don't stock the Spider 2 anymore, and if they do they usually don't demo them for customers, hence why store clerks probably wouldn't have known what the issue was.
I was (sadly) stuck with the unenviable job of testing every single Spider 2 that came into our stock...
So you could say i am a bit of an unwilling expert at these godforsaken things.

But RTFM is usually the best option.
..Though i'm not sure it would have been clear even from that, the manual doesn't really point out that the noise gate is always on unless set otherwise.
Line 6 is notoriously bad at clearly explaining all the functions of these amps in the regular manuals.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline shoreboy31

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 03:06:20 am »
UPDATE: I followed the advice and read through the manual...Unfortunately, even turning off the noise gate still produced the problem. I already had a Peavey VyPyr 60 watt on layaway, so I took the Line 6 back to the pawn shop and sold it back and applied that to the remainder of the layaway...I must say I LOVE the VyPyr...Not only does my Squier sound miles better through it, there's also little to no noise. Thanks to all for the advice and help. I know now to never even look sideways at another Line 6...lol

Sent from my XT1585 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App