Author Topic: Receipe for new DAW  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
Re: Receipe for new DAW
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 12:16:56 am »
That looks kind of old as a spec.

For a start the latest stable Linux kernel is 4.8.6. I don't think I've used a 2.x kernel for quite a few years.

I guess it's OK as a guide.

Yes Harrison Mixbus is based on Ardour, with some additional 'secret sauce'. In particular Mixbus has Harrison's own proprietary DSP mixing/summing which is supposed to give a more analogue-like sound compared to most other DAWs which use simple mathematical summing.

Ubuntu Studio and avlinux are pretty good, and I've used them in the past, but KXstudio is generally recognised as being a more rounded and advanced distribution for audio production at the moment.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 328
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 01:13:05 am »
Yeah, their spec on windows is XP or newer, so I guess they list the bare minimum.

I forgot,,, this refurb Dell is a 580 with AMD Athlon II.

I was thinking it was an i5.

It runs really well. From the instant I turned it on it has not missed a beat.

Harrison generally says get a powerful PC as their software is a heavy load.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 01:26:50 am »
Reviving this thread as I came across a really useful and pertinent article the other day:

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/info/audio-pc-processor

Also, this video is worth watching:

https://youtu.be/GUsLLEkswzE

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 7 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 328
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 03:55:54 am »
Oh me... I almost hate to reply to this.

I ended up buying an ASUS board and 6700K. Unfortunately..... somehow, and I still don;t know how how, a CPU socket pin got bent. When I tried to RMA it they asked me take a picture of the socket.

In doing so, I thought I saw a bent pin and figured I'll give it a go.

what I didn't realize was that upon closer observation that is akin to surgery on the antennae of insects. Let's just say it didn't go well. Nor did my confessions and pleadings to the vendor and ASUS.

So after buying a rather expensive board and having to pay another $120 for a replacement from ASUS it arrived back to me today.

However in the mean time I bought an MSI board for much less and the only thing it is missing which I really don't need but wouldn't mind having is a thunderbolt expansion connector on board.

I got everything fired up. 960G M.2 Samsung drive. 950G PNY SSD and a 2T WD conventional drive.

I have been loading software and plugings for what seems like forever in my spare time.

Win10/64... I can't believe how fast it boots and copies files.

Where it sits in the benchmark tests, I have no idea. I haven't even read up on how to OC it yet.

... and now I need to figure what to do with the ASUS board. I hope some of the old memory I have will work in it. If so maybe I'll buy an i5 and an SSD and do something with it.

So the readers digest version is that it looks the one I made is going to work well and I have a $500 oops to salvage to take a bit of pain out of my losses.

There was one web site I hot on wher these guys had written software to handle some function of the Intel CPU.. claiming a certain situation existed and that in Skylake intel basically acknowledged that and returned the control to the chip... I can't recall what it was, but it sounded good to me so I went with the Skylake...

It was a stressful research period and build to say the least. I think I did OK, but there is just so much stuff out there these days. Motherboards are a nightmare to decipher.

Oh, I got a really nice case made by Fractal. It has sound suppressing material in the covers. also some removable top panels that I had to put a little blue tack on as they would rattle a bit if tapped. But it's wide to hold those new giant CPU coolers. I have 4 fans running I swear I thought I felt AC blowing out the back the other day. Plus they are running so slow you can't hear them. One is running full on as I don't have a DC speed control adapter for it.

So far all I've done if fire up Reaper to register plugins. Still need to configure some midi hardware and VSTis.

I tried to get this done over the holidays while work was slow, but man it is taking forever.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 08:09:27 am »
Sounds like an ordeal.

Where it sits in the benchmark tests, I have no idea.

From the article:

"If you’re recording and doing more heavyweight processing, perhaps alongside some in the box sound design using modern high performance plug in and larger track counts in the 20 - 30 channel region, the Intel Core i7 models found at the top of the such as the 6700K is where you should be looking. These CPU can also be perfect if you’re working entirely in the box although some heavier synths such as DIVA or Serum, may require you to occasionally bounce down to conserve CPU on some particular intensive patches."

So it sounds like you are in the right direction.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 7 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 328
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 05:35:44 pm »

So it sounds like you are in the right direction.

I hope so, I can honestly say this was the first PC I have built that I actually got a little depressed do so. The Oops factor was a killer, but also comparing the ASUS board to the MSI. It was like a situation of ok, now I have them in hand, I can see what I want/need.... and even then it's hard pressed to buy just what you want.

I didn't realize at the time but the ASUS was really a board for the multi-GPU guys. It was setup for Quad VIdeo Adapters... but... it also has 2xM.2 slots and potential to add Thunderbolt. I honestly didn't get the 4XVid when I bought it.

So then I bought the MSI at almost half the price. Super nice board. Way better documentation than ASUS and it has a very utilitarian feel in that it just works. However... it differs in that the slots were reinforced, it wasn't really set up for 4XVid but that's the last thing I need anyway. It has 2XM.2 ports and one of them even comes with a heat spreader. It has rear panel BIOS flash as did the ASUS. No Thunderbolt potential... a downside. Same 64G memory potential...

Also many people on the ASUS forums were saying just put one stick of memory in, get it working, then add in. On the MSI, I loaded the sucker up and bam! it just configured everything in seconds. Installed the BIOS upgrade utility and ran it. It then updated all the util progs and BIOS. No issues.

Plenty of USB 3 ports but the ASUS has more. All in all, for nearly half price, it is nearly equally capable to the ASUS and in some regards better.

I suppose if I needed to run 4XVID for a 12 Monitor setup the ASUS would shine there but I haven't reached that point yet..... although as cheap as monitors are getting.... who knows.... maybe I'll build a video wall of patchwork monitors. Gotta wait until 3head Video adapters are $50 each though.

I was so comfortable with the MSI board that when I first installed win10 it wrote reserve partition to my secondary SSD. I gparted the whole ordeal and started over. Disconneted the SSD and had it write the conventional HDD with the OS on the M.2. Took maybe an extra 30 minutes on my time and most of that was going back into Win10 and disabling almost all the Apps and notifications.

It will boot in the time it takes me to hit the switch, turn in my chair to take a sip of coffee and look back at the screen.... and that's with FAST BOOT  turned OFF in the BIOS! On my old PC, this one I'm using now... I dread a reboot.. New one, it's like heck yeah, reboot just to see it happen.

I hope the progs all run smoothly. Hope to head down that road a bit this weekend.

The MSI BIOS has a Ramdisk util. I installed 32G so I can easily setup a 16G RamDisk but I can't quite figure yet how you tell progs to use it. I don;t want to record to a RamDisk although I did buy a UPS for this PC so it would probably be fine to do so, but I would think samples, synth configurations, plugins, etc, might be good for a Ramdisk.... and like I say, I still haven't optimize the OC side of things. Apparently mild OCing is no-brainer so on a scale of 1-10 if 10 is yeah it will work but...., then I would try say 5 as my base settings.

I went with the Nactua cooler. I think it's D15.. dual fan. Put in an EVGA 850W PSU and I think that is basically idling. Oh, and a BlueRay burner / DVD drive.

I put all my Progs and Plugs on the M.2 drive because it is so much faster than everything else out there. I don't think the OS on an SSD and Progs on another drive apply any longer with the speed differences. Then my samples, voices fof synths, etc, are on the PNY SSD and I intend to record to that.... Some say don't do that, but I think that is yesterdays news as well. The thing has a 228 year MTBF rating. Then the 2T WD drive is for storage and utility work.

I might run one of those benchmark tests just to see where I am. I think that PassMark site has one.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App