Author Topic: Receipe for new DAW  (Read 1982 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Receipe for new DAW
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:06:02 pm »
Does anyone have a link to or current recipe for a DAW.

I'm not real clear of how OS and software interact with "cores".

I definitely don't want a $1000 processor, but there seems to be a lot in the 350 - 550 range.

Also a good MoBo. I see now many have connectors for these new SSDs that are M2 or mSSD ???

Anyway it's tiny little connector that from what I have seen sits between two typical card slots.

I'm hearing ASUS is good for MoBo but I don't understand the processors with the different names and why one is better than another.

Any advice, links to current discussions, parts lists, etc..

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Receipe for new DAW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »
This is odd, I got a reply to this thread in my email but nothing here.
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:56:36 am »
From what I have gathered, parallel processing does not get you much in audio work, so prioritize faster cores vs. higher core count. Although having multiple cores helps if you have other stuff running. i7 is the way to go, although not all i7s are created equal; you can't just go by the clock speed. http://www.cpubenchmark.net will allow you to compare benchmarks for different CPUs, and gives price/performance comparisons.

I can't comment on how commonplace M2 and mSSD are; all I know is that my refurbed Lenovo W530 I bought has an mSSD slot, which I put a 500 GB Samsung SSD in and I love it.

Good luck. 

Insert humorous signature here.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:21:05 am »
Damn, that's a lot of info. Took me a while to find the CPU I have now.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-950+%40+3.07GHz&id=837

They compare it to this which is reasonably priced and looks to have 2X the performance...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+%40+4.00GHz&id=2275

Here is what I don't get. This is slower CPU with 6 cores but better performance yet...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6800K+%40+3.40GHz&id=2785

They are so close, I wonder which would be better.
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:35:32 am »
You care about the single thread score. The newer one you linked is about 25% faster than your old one. The 6 core chip is about the same as your old one.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 08:58:27 am »
I have heard suggestions that hyperthreading CPUs are best avoided as they are not good for real time performance.

Also, CPU scaling should be disabled.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 03:00:08 pm »
You care about the single thread score. The newer one you linked is about 25% faster than your old one. The 6 core chip is about the same as your old one.

My current i7 950 = Single Thread Rating: 1320

i7 4790 = Single Thread Rating: 2528    ---- isn't that about 90% more?

i7 6800K = Single Thread Rating: 2048   ---- isn't that about 55% more?

I do see the difference in the single thread scores now but where/how are you doing the math to get 25% and near equal?

I just noticed this 'compare' feature they have... still it looks like that 4790 is way better than my current cpu.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=837&cmp%5B%5D=2275&cmp%5B%5D=2785
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 03:23:23 pm »
I have heard suggestions that hyperthreading CPUs are best avoided as they are not good for real time performance.

Also, CPU scaling should be disabled.

Cheers,

Keith

I have HT on and CPU Scaling off currently...

If I'm only going to get 25% max improvement I may just buy a downscale PC for the non-audio / video stuff and re-install this one.

But it looks like to me I could get a significant increase over a near 7 year old CPU with something modern.

I mean if they are measuring 90% maybe I get 60-70%... but if it's really only measuring 25%... I might only see 10-15% which is probably not worth the trouble.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »
From what I have gathered, parallel processing does not get you much in audio work, so prioritize faster cores vs. higher core count.

I think it depends on the app. Ardour I know supports multiple cores and I believe it can hand processing of plugins on different tracks to different cores, which should be pretty beneficial.

https://ardour.org/news/3.0.html
Ardour has been multi-processor friendly since its first release, but previously it used only a single CPU core for signal processing. Now, you can control how many of your cores are used for DSP, and how many remain dedicated to other tasks such as graphics, handling MIDI and disk I/O

(Note this was Ardour 3 - the current release of Ardour is 5.4)

Also, the GUI itself as well as I/O and other operations can benefit from having additional cores.

Additionally, Intel CPUs with Floating Point Units are recommended over AMD processors, as DSP uses a lot of FP.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 06:31:10 pm »
Thanks, I may also try to dual boot Ardour. I was trying something with Mixbus the other day and trying to get TouchOSC to work. I got mixed up and thought I was supposed to get the info from the Ardour forum. I think I saw your name there. I signed up. Turns out, Harrison apparently works with Ardour OS and the main research on touchOSC was done there.

Anyway, I needed to do something different for Win obviously. They did seem to elude that Ardour was a good base to run off of though, unless I was mis-reading that too. Anyway, I'm keeping that option open.

Harrison sent me a discount and I basically got Mixbus and their core Delay and Reverb all for $75 so I figured that was a good deal.

I bought a refurbed Dell i5 for all this CD ripping and converting. I may try to dual boot it with Ardour as test to see what happens.

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 06:41:02 pm »
There is a version of Ardour that works with Windows now. I've not used it.

If you want to dual boot to try the Linux version, I strongly recommend the KXStudio distro.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 09:31:39 pm »
Jeeze, I'm an idiot.... I just realized Ardour is the DAW not the OS. That looks surprisingly like MixBus.

So maybe MixBus is based on Ardour with the modelling built in?

I'll have to check out that KXStudio.

I was rushed and confused the other day when I was skipping around trying to get that TouchOSC working.
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:54 pm »

My current i7 950 = Single Thread Rating: 1320

i7 4790 = Single Thread Rating: 2528    ---- isn't that about 90% more?

i7 6800K = Single Thread Rating: 2048   ---- isn't that about 55% more?

I do see the difference in the single thread scores now but where/how are you doing the math to get 25% and near equal?

I just noticed this 'compare' feature they have... still it looks like that 4790 is way better than my current cpu.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=837&cmp%5B%5D=2275&cmp%5B%5D=2785

Yes; not sure what I was looking at. I thought it had 1900+ for your old one.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 09:54:11 pm »
Ah, ok, I just wanted to be sure I was reading it properly. That actually sounds like it would be worth the effort. Plus I already have a case and a three head video card.

I think that 4790 CPU would be good. There are so many MoBos out there, it's like a jungle. I think I'm going to look for one with that M.2 connector built in.

The Corsair PSUs have been good for me so that's  easy enough. That test site seems to really like that Crucial 4G setup for 16G.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 10:21:51 pm »
Here is what Harrison Mixbus recommends for Linux.

CPU Architecture:
Intel or AMD, 64bit or 32 bit
2+ cores/processors required

OS Version:
Linux kernel 2.6 or higher.  An audio-based distribution such as AVLinux, UbuntuStudio, or CCRMA is recommended.

Audio:
Any ALSA or JACK-supported hardware.

http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus-sysreq.html

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App