Author Topic: wireless mic for heavy metal band  (Read 1797 times)

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
wireless mic for heavy metal band
« on: October 13, 2016, 01:25:55 pm »
Hi guys,

I love asking questions here because the wide range of specialties and experiences here, whether it is hobbyist, pro, musician or technician.

This question is rather specific. I'm looking for a wireless microphone set.

I sing in the band and I play guitar. (some basic rhythms and melodies while our lead guitarist carries the guitar sound with all his riffage and solo'ing).

Some songs require little or no guitar from my part. I'm a fan of my wireless set for guitar. If you have to mind a vocal mic, vocals, guitar and riffing/melodies, you don't want to mind your cables.

That's why I consider a wireless microhpone too. Our typical gig is a bar where the stage is as high as the crowd and being able to interact, move to/in the crowd or just be mobile on stage seems like a plus for the show element.

When I'm in the crowd of a similar show as ours, I like a song that I can follow, a band that acts enthousiastic and next to the music, I like some show to entertain people. So for that kind of show, I seriously considering a wireless mic.

. so . You hear me coming...
what to buy? I've seen some sets by AKG, Shure, Senheisser, ... but I have so limited knowledge orn the experience of brands in this field.

What I Do know:

- My budget is prefered <300 (£,$,€) and the absolute max should be 400 to 500.
- minimum and for now only needed: one mic, one receiver.
- there are some limiting laws in belgian considering +- 900mhz channels ranges and that's why I rather -not- have these bands but rather 2.4Hgz-alike systems. I'm not worried about the difference in sound
- Although we use sm58's on most gigs, we only use them because these are the mics supplied. We're not such big fans of these mics soundwise. (they are built as a tank though).
- don't forget it's for live use. This means that the difference between "good" and "pristine" sound quality becomes irrelevant when you're gigging in a bar.
-When record singles, we compared some mics in the studio. the shure SM7B was the nices on my voice.
- I sing rather 'up close in my mic'. most of that is because this helps not gettign feedback when the I sing while the drummer hits his cymbals in the rehearsal rooms. I can adjust mic technique though, I'm still learning.
-We'll be playing heavy/80's/thrash/glam/power metal. The vocazl style won't be screaming or grunting but if you listen to "Berettiget" on our website, you'll catch my drift (http://www.pointfifty.be). the vocal is rather "tame" there though :p 
- I'm not planning on spending >$,£,€ 500 on a set of one mic and one receiver.
-When record singles, we compared some mics in the studio. the shure SM7B was the nices on my voice.
- I know wired mics have certain (practical) advantages, but that's not the question here. i want to focus on affordable wireless mic sets.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:50:09 pm by LievenDV »
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Re: wireless mic for heavy metal band
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:13:40 pm »
Are you looking for a headset mic or handheld?
Insert humorous signature here.

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:55:33 pm »
Good question; hand held! And with a rehearsal room that easily goed feedback, a (hyper)cardoid might be necessary

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:16:29 pm »
ok; Since there were no tips; I tried to narrow it down to a (long) shortlist of 5 candidates.
any opinions on this?

Line6 XD-V35 +- €220 budget
https://www.amazon.com/Line-XD-V35-Handheld-Wireless-Microphone/dp/B0079TY7FY
- sm58 style mic (which has cons and pro's
- 2.4GHz license free but small risk of wifi issues?
- Line6 seems to have a solid seputation these days when it comes to wireless
- no mute button
- no/low signal noise
- leds for battery status and connection status
- no external connection
- a few but not manny channel options

Line6 XD-V55  +-€350 budget
https://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_xdv55.htm?ref=search_rslt_Line6+XD-V55_276812_0
- 4 mic models being modelled by 1 mic. capsule can be replaced with a hypercardoid one from (example) earthworks(least feedback in rehearsal and small venues)
- most expensive in my list
- 12 channels
- license free in Belgium but I suppose same risk of wifi issue when crowd is wifi active

akg vms40 +- €100 budget
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-WMS40-Wireless-ISM1-System/dp/B004ZY981E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476285826&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+microphone#customerReviews
- no channel options
- cheap
- pretty good reviews on amazon
- some say less sound quality as the sm58(alike) mics

Sennheiser Xsw35-GB  +-€280 budget
https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_xsw_35_vocal_set_eband.htm?ref=search_rslt_Sennheiser+Xsw35-GB_276676_0
- Sennheiser got a solid reputation for mics in my book
- sm58 style mic
- mic/synch button seems to be bumped more easily
- very good reviews on Thomann
- more classic E band but with 960 switchable frequencies

T-bone free solo HT 1.8ghz +-€215
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_free_solo_ht_18_ghz.htm#bewertung
- cheap housebrand of Thomann
- pretty ok reviews
- I do't know what to think

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 04:21:25 pm »
I would have liked to have made a recommendation, but your budget and frequency restriction ruled out systems that I have had experience with. The only thing I can offer is that I've had good experience with the upper-end Seneheizer and Shure wireless systems with beta 58 or beta 87 capsules. I'm interested to see what you end up with, and how it works out for you.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 05:28:40 pm »
it aint an easy subtject.
Not many have experience and people who do are, like you, experienced with mid- to high-end systems.

I'm impressed by the quality and usefulness of my wireless set for guitar but they don't support a wireless mic.
A shooroom model of the line6 xd-v35 showed up; €165 instad of €219...
for that money it's getting interesting.

...because they all seem so alike

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 06:03:47 pm »
Honestly for a live sound application small, or even significant, differences in frequency response ("sound quality") are probably not going to matter much. Get a mic with a rep for durability and then spend the time required to learn how to EQ your voice on it.

Graham Cochrane recently did a 4 mic "mic shootout" video. His was a studio application, but the results will be even more true in a live sound application, especially your genre. He put up a 15 year old $100 Behringer condenser, a Rode NT1A, a Neumann, and an SM57. Results of the polling were roughly evenly split, with 25% of respondents preferring each. And amazingly, most respondents felt strongly about the mic they picked. Personally I thought, "Any of those would be fine." And that was his conclusion as well. They all sound somewhat different, not necessarily better or worse.

So get a durable mic in your budget, learn to EQ it, and most importantly, sing well into it.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 06:09:43 pm »
With wireless, hits and drop-outs are usually more of an issue than frequency response. And of course in a live sound application, gain before feedback. The frequency response and pickup pattern are important.. more for feedback control than accurate reproduction. You can EQ the mic, but the less you have to, the better.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:32:13 pm »
I just ordered a Line 6 XD V55. It has 4 mic simulations and I can change the capsule to an Earthworks hypercardioid one if I want to experiment with the pickup pattern (because of feedback reasons).

https://www.thomann.de/be/line6_xdv55.htm

listed €389 but found a B-stock item (showroom model) on my local store's site for €319 and comes with warranty so heck why not :). It was high on my list anyway...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App