Author Topic: Writing Choruses?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Tomgudge123

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Writing Choruses?
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:54:49 pm »
Hello!

I've been attempting to write songs for a while now, and I've found that when it comes to writing verses I feel very much at home. It just rolls out onto the paper. However, when it comes to writing choruses I feel utterly stuck. Whenever I try to write a chorus it either sounds too contrived, too much like I've wedged a chorus into the song which doesnt really fit, or just plain bad. I dont even really know how a chorus should work other than it should be memorable in some way and repeatable. Is it supposed to contain certain notes from the song? Or is there no rigid set of rules? Any tips on writing choruses would be greatly appreciated!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
Re: Writing Choruses?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:44 am »
It's the same thing. Each time. It's the same thing.

A Chorus is often the hook and that's probably what is throwing you. You are expecting to write/hear a hit song hook chorus.

Just try to write something that is the 'same thing'. Same chords, same rhythm.

Yes, it's from the Key but it can modulate or use the 'unused chords'. It doesn't have to be from the Key.

All it needs to be is anything that sounds good and repeats the same thing each time.

Once you get that then you can expand on the situation.

Probably you have an issue in the transition from Verse to Chorus. You need a connector chord. Sometimes it's just one note in the preceding chord that needs to change.

Try a sus2 or sus4 chord in between the Verse and chorus. Or lead to the Chorus via a Dom7 if it starts on a Maj chord.

G G7 C  could come from something where G was the 4 chord. So it modulates it up a tone.

D G A was original key

G G7 is your last bar of say the 3rd verse... verses do not have to be exact.

C whatever starts the Chorus..

But that G G7 C creates the change. It changes the Key from D to C

Now you can go C Am for that feel or C F G for the Major feel.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Tomgudge123

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:43:47 pm »
Hi TB-AV. Thanks for your help and thanks for the advice on the chords/notes preceding the chorus, that helps a lot. I shall try to put that into practice!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 03:13:33 pm »
Yeah, what I meant to say was D was the original Key

D(I) G(IV) A(V)

G7 is the V of the Key of C

C(I) F(IV) G7(V)

So when you go from G to G7 you only change and/or add one note different so the overall character of the G chord is retained but then the b7 is brought in and that again belongs to  Key of C.

Often you hear this sort of thing as a pre-chorus. It just keeps things from sounding so abrupt..

You could also precede the G7 with a Dm. That sort of tweaks your ear, then you go to G7 and that says ok, something is happening here and then C which resolves it all but like I said now you are in a new Key... but if you want to keep that minor feel you can play C Am C Am type deal..

So that sort of gives you a faint memory of that first Dm that seem jarring now sort of makes sense.

Try that and see how it sounds...

D G A D G A D A D G Dm G7 C Am C Am C Am Em  G A7 D

D G A D G A D A D G = Key of D
------------------------- Dm G7 == transition to Key of C and Pre-Chorus - Key of C
-----------------------------------C Am C Am C Am = Chorus in Key of C
-------------------------------------------------------- Em G A7 D is the transition back to Key of D

The Em is the ii chord of Key of D ( D Em etc ) and the iii chord of C ( C Dm Em etc )

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Get The Forum As A Mobile App