Author Topic: How to SSH with GUI  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
Re: How to SSH with GUI
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 11:33:14 am »
I'm with Dan: Kali is cool for what it does, but it's not great as a general purpose OS.

You may be better with something more generic for some of the things you are doing, especially as the setup and repos might be better for the apps you want to use.

Remember, the nice thing about the Raspberry Pi is that you can have several OS's on different memory cards, and just swap them as you wish, so you can have Kali on one card for security testing tools, Raspbian on another for more generic apps, maybe a third for something else specific, etc. and just reboot/swap memory card as you like.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 326
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 02:51:12 pm »
Actually, I keep forgetting I can swap those cards.

I need to learn how to save an image after I get something working. I've had to reburn from start quite a few times.

About the only thing I've actually gotten to work is KODI. That seems to work fine now that I realize I need to install all those other repositories.

But even the basic Raspbian, I'm lost beyond the GUI and the only thing in it I have any interest in is the browser. So every install just becomes a browser. I mean I see open office and a game but have no interest in that. So I thought Kali would be at least somewhat accessible via the GUI, but apparently not.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 08:29:14 pm »
On Kali : it is not for beginners at all, and a lot of tools don't even have a proper GUI, or they work as plugins for other tools.
Beyond that, toying with Metasploit and Armitage can get you in trouble if you're not using a testlab setup.
Not to mention they aren't easy to use, new user proof tools : they often break, and require extensive knowledge to get them going, and then keep them going.
This is why a lot of colleagues in the Pentest field would rather pay out the ass for a professional license for Canvas, Core Impact, Metasploit Pro and/or Cobalt Strike.

On to Xfinity : CANTENNA.
And i don't mean buy some overpriced POS, i mean build one, get a large soupcan, a Pringles tin, whatever, and build one.
Then if you get a weak signal, pull the cantenna out, and point it around until you get a better signal.

On Raspberry Pi's in general : don't buy any more of them unless you start finding uses for them, for FSM's sake !
Find uses for the ones you have via Google, Lifehacker, Twitter, Hackaday etc.

As an example : my last Pi 0 has just been put to use as a Pi-Hole (dedicated advertising blocker) and as a partially open WiFi hotspot (with Tor).
The other 3 have been incorporated in a Birdfeeder project for my daughter, a small weather/polution measuring system and a plant monitoring system.
I have one RPi 3 serving as a dedicated OSMC system, one RPi 2 serving as a Usenet/Torrent downloader, sort-of-NAS and Owncloud storage (as we've discussed via mail at some point), and another RPi2 as a Radio (for which i still need a broken classic radio as a case/interface).
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 326
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 09:22:56 pm »
Ok, I'll say goodbye to Kali.

As to the PIs. I only have two new ones.

I bought a 3 and put Plex on it. Plex and NAS. That works fine. So that one is a done deal.

The new P3 I bought was to do the Kali thing with or now as my main... do something with it.

The Pi0 I actually put OSMC KODI on and that works... a bit slow but it works. I want to actually give that to my cousin. He lives in the sticks and is ripping all his CDs but really doesn't have any Internet... or well he does but it's through his phone service and needs to limit his use.

So I need to figure a way after he rips all this stuff to be able to use it. He has an old Samsung phone that has been turned off for service and I think use that as an MP3 player. But I'm trying to figure how to get his rips back and forth to some sort of MP3 player.

So I figure at least get him set up with KODI on a Pi0.  Honestly I've never used an MP3 player and not really sure how to transfer FLAC files back and forth. He has next to zero computer knowledge. I put together a PC and put the stuff on it to rip the CD's he went nuts with that... he's ripped hundreds upon hundreds of CDs so far. So I need to figure some way for him to easily use that hard drive full of music and make transfers to a MP3 player.

I'm not even sure KODI will help with that but at least he can connect it to his TV. If you have suggestions on that, I'm all ears.

Hard drive full of music
Needs - Listen to any music on PAD type device or MP3 player.
Needs - Easily transfer big chunks of much off the drive so pad can just play random songs.

We understand the MP3 player can only hold so much and maybe transfers will take over night or some such. But he want to listen in his truck and also in headphones while he's mowing the the fields etc.

I just can't think how to do it for someone with no network. I think I need to get him a router and put KODI on a PI connected to Router and he connects to that to transfer playlists back and forth?

I honestly don;t even know, I've never done it. I've listen to maybe 5 songs on a phone and again I had a network.

Then the other two older Pis I have were subject to the lightening strike and I just have them as spare. I don;t want to be learning on something with potentially screwed up parts. I'll deal with them later.

OK, Cantenna -- Yes, I can built any sort of antenna needed. My issue is this.
Laptop - No place to plug an antenna. Now I can connect a USB wifi adapter on a wire, but sitting in the truck, it's really cramped and easy to break stuff that way. So I figured, put a little AP in the truck. Let it have a full time Cantenna, and my laptop connects wirelessly to it via it's normal internal wifi.

I'm just not totally clear how to do that. I need an AP that is constantly looking for it's WAN access via that Cantenna.  Then also have it give my laptop an dhcp client address.

Don't I need two antennas for that?

Laptop(wifi ant built in)>>>>>>>>>(wif-ant1)AP(wifi-ant2)>>>>>XFINITY WIFI BROADCAST

Doesn't AP have to give me a 192.168.1.10 type address on one antenna and get it's WAN address on the other?
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 09:18:11 am »
Kodi can provide an easy way to rip CDs, but it's designed as a standalone media station, not as a hub that can stream/transfer to other devices.

Hard drive full of music
Needs - Listen to any music on PAD type device or MP3 player.

Do you actually mean listen to on that player, or to be controlled by it? For home use, if the system running Kodi is connected to a hifi then a tablet or phone can be used to control that system's playback, but not to stream or transfer to that device from the system running Kodi.

Needs - Easily transfer big chunks of much off the drive so pad can just play random songs.

That's not something Kodi does itself. You need to look elsewhere.

That doesn't necessarily mean you need to replace Kodi completely if it suits other needs, even if that is just as an easy way to rip CDs. Once the music is on the hard drive, other applications can access it.

To transfer to a portable player, you could either do via network (yes, the easiest way is to stick a cheap router in) or via USB for supported devices. The tricky bit is the software.

There are plenty of music manager apps (similar to iTunes) which will allow him to select which tracks he wants to transfer and which will then do it. Something like Banshee should do the trick.

Unfortunately most of these apps are designed for Linux desktop systems (more like Raspbian) and may be tricky to get working usefully in an environment designed for Kodi.  If the only thing you are using Kodi for is CD ripping and Banshee looks like a good option, it may be best to abandon Kodi and use Banshee for ripping too. With Banshee and a compatible device he can do transfer via USB, with no need for any network.

(Note that all CD ripping apps use Internet to fetch track information, album art, etc. as these are not encoded onto the CD. Without Internet access he will have to manually enter this information).

A network based approach could be trickier; there are lots of options but they are typically DIY heavy. One approach which may work is if you can install an Owncloud server on the Kodi box, and have it manage the folders containing the music. It may then be possible to use something like an Android phone with the Owncloud client to sync specific folders to the phone over the network, and then use VLC player to play them. It may be possible to make this fairly slick, but it will always require him to manage the music using folders and files, rather than by albums and tracks.

The other option is to copy the music onto a memory card and put that into a portable device with memory card capability, which some Android phones have.

Regardless, I would recommend he rips in MP3 format for maximum compatibility and portability. If he rips in FLAC then he will need to transcode it to be compatible with most portal MP3 players. Also, hard drives on PCs are cheap, but storage on mobile devices is not, so you will want to use something like MP3 to maximise the number of tracks he can use at once.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 01:15:24 pm »
TB, you have those USB WiFi dongles...
The Antennas can be taken off and replaced with whatever antenna you have that has the same connector.
Cantenna + cable + RP-SMA connector = done deal.

Add a Pi Zero with Raspbian or DietPi, connect both USB dongles, bridge the connection (you'll need hostapd, bridge-utils, dnsmasq OR isc-dhcp-server), have the one dongle connected with the Cantenna serve as the main connection, use the second dongle as the AP.
Takes a bit of work, but it can be done without much extra cash (making a cantenna can't be more than a few dollars worth of materials these days).

[edit] this may be of use : https://www.pi-point.co.uk/ [/edit]
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 326
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 03:47:35 pm »
@ Dan, yeah, the more I thought about it I could just use a usb extender cable and mount the cantenna and dongle perm. In fact, one of the best cantenna designs actually mounts the wifi adapter to the can so there is no cable loss. It has like 1" of co-ax. I could then just have the cable for easy access.

That Pi-Pont article is the one I found too that seemed like it was all wireless. I looked for hours for something and almost all of them were Etho to Wlan0 bridging. so they all were based on a wired connection too. Someone even said in one thing I read that Wlan0 to Wlan1 bridging was not even possible... that didn't make sense to me but what do I know.

I'll sit down and read that whole project and see what it says.

@Keith, let me clarify..

I bought a refurbed Dell PC and had some old keyboard/mouse/monitor etc, and put MediaMonkey on it and also got him an external hard drive. So that's doing all the ripping and he is tethering to his Tablet(part of phone service) for pulling down CD info. that is not stressing his bandwidth. However that was not intended to be permanent fixture. It's can be, but we really didn't intend that.

So let's say ripping is over and on a hard drive.

Now is where the issue comes in. I need to figure how he can transfer easily. His device does have an SD card. I did find that out. ... and I had told him that would probably be the very easiest way. Just make several SD cards and have it all. Especially since he mostly just want random playback.

As to FLAC and MP3, I figured when he got done, I would just batch convert things to MP3 as well. Just so they are in FLAC for other uses.

Another thing is he said that if just had a player and speaker in the truck that would be fine as well. So I thought ok, another cheap hard drive, and Pi0 with Koidi and he's got the whole ordeal in his truck.... and a power inverter.

He's got this set of hearing protectors with a radio built in and an aux input and he wants to connect the MP3 player to that.

Also like I said KODI on Pi0 in his house with the main drive connected would cover that need.

So it all boils down to easy transfer back and forth to an mp3 player and I'm still leaning to the SD card deal. He's actually pretty good about opening windows and doing file copies but it seems like something that could be done in bulk as pre-configured playlists would be great.

I've never made a playlist in my life but I would imagine I could sit down and choose all manner of songs then press GO and it copies them all to the MP3 player. Make a new playlist and press GO and it overwrites the first one. I assume that's how it works.... and he's the type that would sit around an make lists.

Also, I think his wife and apparently some of the kids have smartphones, so it would be nice if they had access via that method as well.

I was going to use that computer later but if I have to leave it, it's no big deal, but I'm not certain they really want it either.... whereas a Pi or two can hide behind the TV.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 163
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 06:04:08 pm »
@ Dan, yeah, the more I thought about it I could just use a usb extender cable and mount the cantenna and dongle perm. In fact, one of the best cantenna designs actually mounts the wifi adapter to the can so there is no cable loss. It has like 1" of co-ax. I could then just have the cable for easy access.

That Pi-Pont article is the one I found too that seemed like it was all wireless. I looked for hours for something and almost all of them were Etho to Wlan0 bridging. so they all were based on a wired connection too. Someone even said in one thing I read that Wlan0 to Wlan1 bridging was not even possible... that didn't make sense to me but what do I know.

I'll sit down and read that whole project and see what it says.

I linked the Pi-Point project to give you a starting point, but in the meanwhile i've been digging around, and i think this may be more relevant : http://superuser.com/questions/520172/wired-to-wireless-bridge-in-linux.
Do note point 3 in the first relevant answer.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 326
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 10:05:26 pm »
Do you mean about the promiscious mode?   I think... -thought-- those TP link dongles did work in all modes.

I know they monitor mode. Not sure how to tell if they do promi.

BTW... have you guys seen this???

https://www.parrotsec.org/

I downloaded it last night but haven't burned an image or read much.

Not sure if this is a secure deal with kali like tools or unsecure.

My cousin dropped by today and has a new truck with bluetooth, usb, line in, etc,,, so at least that part got easier. Also got his Samsung phone to see if I can convert it to mp3 player. It has a sd card slot.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline old-and-in-the-way

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • That's what I heard him say
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 11:14:53 pm »

If these dependencies are met, then it is possible to ssh into a remote system and launch individual GUI apps on that system which will then display on your local desktop. You cannot get the remote system's full desktop GUI, only individual applications, and those need to be launched by executing them from the terminal window.[/color]

Except ... except, you can run X within X, using Xnest, and if your local endpoint is in the Xnest Xserver, then you can start up a full desktop in there.

You wouldn't want to, though.  That's a totally crazy thing to do (but it does work)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 09:27:42 am »
Yeah, xnest (and xmove, etc.) are all good fun, and can lead to interesting rabbit holes.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App