Author Topic: ideas for rock/metal - long distance collaboration  (Read 1796 times)

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
ideas for rock/metal - long distance collaboration
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:13:00 pm »
Earlier today I wrote an old college buddy, who is a much better guitarist than me, with the idea of a collaboration. I live in Indiana and he is in Arizona. But my idea was that I record the rhythm part (I use Fender Fuse / Audacity) of a fairly easy rock or metal song. Then I could send him that file and he could lay down the lead guitar, drum beats, and sing. When we were in college he put together an entire album using an old 4-track, so I know he would have the know-how.

Has anybody here tried such a project? I scanned this thread (collaborations) but couldn't find anything quite like this. He's a metal-head and plays in a band, so I'm sure he could improvise over whatever I put together. I was thinking of doing something like Iron Man, Highway to Hell, Breaking the Law, etc. Other song ideas?
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
Re: ideas for rock/metal - long distance collaboration
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:44:18 pm »
Have done such a thing with the band one or two times
We did it in this order: (note that bass is quite late in the process but that's because our bassist would record on, max 2 takes at a rehearsal after some practice at home :))

- guitar draft over a click track
- drummer lays down drum track based on guitar draft
- guitarist plays more polished rhythm guitar over drum
- guitarist plays more polished lead guitar
- bass and vocal recordings
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 02:55:51 am »
Thanks, Lieven!
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:30:58 am »
Bass could come in sooner of course but sometimes, when being in a 4-people-group, it's easier to let 2 people take the lead (in our case drum and lead guitarist) and let them get the big parts right and fill in later on.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline artonsafari

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 02:47:24 pm »
Done this a couple times.
One with a bud from Mississippi (I'm just south of Boston). He recorded the track and I laid down some noodling (darker sounding Les Paul tone) I'd forgotten about this one TBH.

Now, where is the one that Endureth and digger72 invited me to play on....

Here it is!

Was an absolute blast to work with those guys!
Has it really been 3.5yrs?  :o
The correct amount of guitars is one more than you currently own

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 11:27:22 pm »
Ideally, you need to be using the same DAW. Then you can just share the DAW project/session by Dropbox/Google Drive or similar.

You would need to manage version control strategies between you ( if you are a bit technically minded you could possibly use GIT for version control).

If using different DAWs, it should be possible to export/import stubs as long as you keep similar settings (primarily the same base sample rate).

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:39:43 am by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline artonsafari

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 06:03:27 am »
Not sure what Endureth or digger72 used but it was not Mixcraft (what I used)
The correct amount of guitars is one more than you currently own

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 03:11:24 pm »
From my limited experience: What works well is to start with a rhythm track. Usually drums first, then bass, then rhythm guitar. But if for instance the guitarist has the initial idea for the song, you can lay down the rhythm guitars first, and then add the drums and bass... But it's important to have the project tempo, and to use the DAW's metronome so that drum beats can be quantized or snapped to the grid. It's also good to have everyone use the same sample rate and bit depth. 44,1/24 or 48/24 seem to be standard track sample rates and bit depth. After the tempo and bit depth are set in the DAW's project settings, it shouldn't really matter if everyone has the same DAW unless there's more than one person mixing the tracks. The likelihood that everyone is going to have the same plugins would be slim, so having the same DAW shouldn't really be an issue. For instance; if I were to share a project with someone, but I used an expensive plugin in my DAW and the person I was sharing the project with didn't have the same plugin, they'd have to use that plugin to get the same playback results. You can just export the rhythm track to share and each person can add their own parts to the rhythm track and render/export the parts as stems to have mixed. If you want multiple people to mix the tracks, you can make the individual track stems available and each person can mix them. Then collectively decide which mix you like best..
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App