Author Topic: Raspberry Pi - NextCloud help needed  (Read 966 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Raspberry Pi - NextCloud help needed
« on: September 04, 2016, 11:06:01 pm »
I'm trying to do this.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-m8FRO3Dfg

The only difference I have from his instructions and his hardware are as follows.....
He linked a 32G SD card.. I am using 8G
His NextCloud build was 9.x.x and mine is 10.0.0

I ran sudo update and upgrade before I started. Got part way and remembered to run raspi-config to expand the file system.

Other than that I gone line for line with him.

Now at 2:02 I get this error. It also happened earlier but I did something and rebooted and someth9ing I did said so and so is running so I thought maybe it was ok, apparently not.

I think maybe the first was around 1:21 which again had to do with apache2...

Here is what I get...

sudo service apache2 restart
Job for apache2.service failed. See 'systemctl status apache2.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
I don't know what that means nor where/how to go looking for the details.

I just found something that I know I did wrong though.... go to 1:03 in the vid. You see the line +FollowSymLinks  --- I typed +FollowSmyLinks  --- I know, don;t say it... I wondered why the S was in caps..  Anyway I fixed that file but now I get this.....

[email protected]:~ $ sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/nextcloud.conf
[email protected]:~ $ sudo ln -s /etc/apache2/sites-available/nextcloud.conf /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/nextcloud.confln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/nextcloud.conf’: File exists.

How can I get rid of or overwrite the existing file?  Maybe that's the problem to whole ordeal with the Apache2 errors?

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
Re: Raspberry Pi - NextCloud help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:10:25 am »
How can I get rid of or overwrite the existing file?  Maybe that's the problem to whole ordeal with the Apache2 errors?

You can delete the existing symlink with:
Code: [Select]
sudo rm /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/nextcloud.conf
There is, however, a good chance this isn't the problem. A symlink is simply a pointer to another file, a bit like when you create a shortcut on windows. If it is pointing to the correct file already, and if you have edited that file to fix the error, then deleting and recreating the symlink file won't do anything.

But it's an easy thing to try, so it's probably worth trying just in case you've accidentally created the symlink to the wrong place.

Incidentally, the way shown in the video (with "ln -s ...") is really not the best way to do this on Debian derivatives, as they normally come with a command "a2ensite" to do this. It seems a little odd he's doing it this way when he follows it with the similar "a2enmod ..." command.

Once the symlink has been removed, instead of recreating it with "ln -s ..." try doing the following:

sudo a2ensite nextcloud.conf
If recreating the symlink doesn't fix things, it points to an error in your configuration files somewhere. If you run:
journalctl -xnIt should give more information about the error.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Raspberry Pi - NextCloud help needed
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:25:25 pm »
Well yesterday, I looked up how to remove a file and did indeed remove that one in the sites-enabled folder.

Then corrected my spelling, rebooted, and all else seemed to work. Then I finally got to the nextcloud web page on the server and got logged in. Took me 30 minutes to figure out the user Root is not = to the user root, but... I finally got in.

It runs really slow, not sure what kind of rocket he has in his Pi Zero but it's different than mine that's for sure. On his screen what took seconds, took minutes on mine. Including all the code steps.

After more digging, I found all the code on the Nextcloud site. So basically he was just cutting and pasting.

Then the first thing you find out is it's not running https and that needs changing. Also I would have to set up other data storage areas... like a usb drive... and I'm not clear on that.

So it's too slow and their site doesn't even mention Raspberry Pi but in a video by the main guy at nextcloud he actually mentions Rpi.

I think I need to sit down and read the manuals and maybe try again on an Rpi3.

I bought the Zero to make a PiHole... then in doing so I found out my dd-wrt router can already do that.

I think what I want now for this Zero is to make it a wireless AP for my car. Occasionally I need access and Xfinity is everywhere but the signals are not quite strong enough. So I would have to get out, go into a store or whatever. I want to turn it into an AP with strong directional antenna and then connect to it for my access.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App