Author Topic: DropBox Users  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
DropBox Users
« on: August 31, 2016, 07:00:49 pm »
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: DropBox Users
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 11:29:59 pm »
I guess I better try and remember my password..

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
Re: DropBox Users
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:18:40 pm »
Some tips to help keep yourself secure:

• Use two step authentication with an authenticator app wherever it is available. It requires slightly more work, but offers significantly greater protection than a password alone: even if someone finds your password, it's very difficult for them to access your account without the time-sensitive authentication code generated by the app
  • If you use 2-step authentication, never give the code out to anyone (obviously never give your password out either)
  • Use an app-based authenticator where you can. SMS is not completely secure and there have been instances of 2-step auth protected accounts being hacked via SMS interception, but SMS is better than nothing if it's the only thing available
  • Use a different password for every site. That way, if a site gets hacked, they don't get your password for every other site
  • Use long (minimum 12 character, ideally 20 or more) passwords and make them complex
  • Use a password management system. Frankly, it's impractical to remember individual long and complex passwords for every site/service you use. So use a password management app like Lastpass or (better IMO) Keepass to help generate and organise unique passwords
  • If you use a password management app, secure it with a long and reasonably complex passphrase that you will remember. Mine is over 60 characters

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App