Author Topic: Advice on Next Steps – Learn How to Play Metal  (Read 117 times)

Offline BCDC

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Advice on Next Steps – Learn How to Play Metal
« on: January 22, 2020, 03:31:25 pm »
After completing the Beginners Course and Intermediate Foundation course, I have been a little lost regarding my next steps. I started the Blues Lead and Blues Rhythm Intermediate modules, but they didn’t really excite me or motivate me (but I can see how some of this would be helpful for my new goal).

After 6 months of dabbling around, I finally figured out what I want to do next – Learn How to Play Metal! In particular, old-school Metallica songs from the 80s and 90s (e.g., One, Enter Sandman, Sad But True, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ride the Lightening, Seek and Destroy, etc) - but certainly not limited to this.

I have searched online for a single decent course (similar to Justin’s teaching format) but I cannot find anything. Does anyone have any recommendations?   

In the absence of a great course, I have taken bits and pieces from different websites and developed my own ‘course’ moving forward. In brief, I am currently learning how to (a) palm mute effectively, (b) alternate picking fast!, (c) galloping techniques, (d) hammer-ons/pull-offs, and (e) basic lead guitar.

I am doing this by either (1) using a metronome to develop speed (e.g., alternate picking, galloping) or by (2) learning songs that use these techniques (e.g., One [basic lead guitar], Enter Sandman [palm muting], Sad But True [hammer-ons/pull-offs], etc).

At present, I love what I am doing and am highly motivated. Does anyone have any advice on other *KEY* techniques I should be learning to help play Metal? I would also be interested to hear what approach other people on this forum might have taken to learn how to play metal (for the few that do).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BCDC

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
Re: Advice on Next Steps – Learn How to Play Metal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 04:59:19 pm »
I think you’ve got a pretty good plan there. Go for it!

I just want to add that often in metal, and ‘Tallica in particular, rhythm is played with downstrokes only.
Which also takes practice.

Other than that I agree with learning through songs (or just parts of songs)

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 10:40:59 pm »
I wouldnt give up on the blues lead, I found it quite good and it has helped me greatly with playing bends in a lick, switching between rhythm and licks and just generally helping me move around the fretboard better with the minor pentatonic and the different shapes.

Speed is the main issue holding me back with metal songs and that is going to take quite some time to fix.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline BCDC

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 11:30:56 pm »
I think you’ve got a pretty good plan there. Go for it!

I just want to add that often in metal, and ‘Tallica in particular, rhythm is played with downstrokes only.
Which also takes practice.

Other than that I agree with learning through songs (or just parts of songs)

Appreciate your reply Kasper and the endorsement of my next steps. Your recent rendition of Ride the Lightening made me jealous as hell!!!  Well done mate!! Impressive!

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline BCDC

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 11:35:39 pm »
I wouldnt give up on the blues lead, I found it quite good and it has helped me greatly with playing bends in a lick, switching between rhythm and licks and just generally helping me move around the fretboard better with the minor pentatonic and the different shapes.

Speed is the main issue holding me back with metal songs and that is going to take quite some time to fix.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Appreciate the reply Jono.  I agree.  I can definitely see how the blues lead is very relevant. I will do it, but am having so much fun with my approach right now. Speed!! Holy smokes!! Once you try learning this stuff, it really makes you appreciate how fast these guys play!

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:22:26 am »
Troy Stetina has some video/books on metal rhythm and lead.

http://www.stetina.com/lessons.html

Here is an example

Someone playing metal licks from Troy's lessons.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App