Author Topic: I just can't stick with it...why?  (Read 19 times)

Rossco01, stitch101 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Evandis

• Good Vibes 0
I just can't stick with it...why?
« on: Today at 03:00:29 pm »
Hi everyone,

I want to learn guitar so bad and I keep starting Justin's course and eventually I fall off and I don't know hot to motivate myself to continue. Longest I was at it was probably 6 months, even got to the F chord and was able to acceptably get it good enough to progress. However, I just say to myself one day, I need a break and then months go by and I never pick up the guitar again.

I need advise on how to stay motivated through the process. I have a very nice guitar, professionally setup and is not difficult to play and doesn't make my hands uncomfortable. So I know that is not discouraging me. It just seems to be motivation based.

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Re: I just can't stick with it...why?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:11:40 pm »
If you got to 6 months you must have been playing songs right? Have you recorded anything? shared anything? nothing like giving you some focus if the aim is to record and share how far you've got. Sharing will give you some feedback and might motivate you or give you some ideas what to do next.

I guess the key to keep motivated is to have some goals. I always thought the beginner course was really good at giving you nice stepped goals to achieve HOWEVER it is possible to get to a point where this isn't enough and then you have to ask yourself "right what am I doing this for". Write it down and then say what steps might I need to do to get to that point and use that as your motivation. Do you want to play for family, Play for others, Play Songs, Improvise, Join a Band, Play and Open Mic. This list goes on but you must have started for a reason so you need to articulate that reason and then assess whether you've got there...and if you have ask yourself what do I want to do next.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online LouisK

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Dazed and confused
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:18:06 pm »
I have struggled with this off and on - likely many of us have. Finding a jam buddy is a HUGE help. Mutual encouragement, some degree of accountability, good feedback, and well more than double the fun. A live instructor is another good help, but if you're doing well with just the Justin videos/lessons, you likely don't need that. Just find another player who's at, or maybe just a little better than you to hang with is a great way to stay excited about the journey!
Remember when the music
Came from wooden boxes Strung with silver wire

Larrivee OM-40
Seagull S6

Online Evandis

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:23:57 pm »
If you got to 6 months you must have been playing songs right? Have you recorded anything? shared anything? nothing like giving you some focus if the aim is to record and share how far you've got. Sharing will give you some feedback and might motivate you or give you some ideas what to do next.

I guess the key to keep motivated is to have some goals. I always thought the beginner course was really good at giving you nice stepped goals to achieve HOWEVER it is possible to get to a point where this isn't enough and then you have to ask yourself "right what am I doing this for". Write it down and then say what steps might I need to do to get to that point and use that as your motivation. Do you want to play for family, Play for others, Play Songs, Improvise, Join a Band, Play and Open Mic. This list goes on but you must have started for a reason so you need to articulate that reason and then assess whether you've got there...and if you have ask yourself what do I want to do next.

My reasons are to play "around the campfire" so to speak, but after watching a friend form a band and gig out, I now would like to eventually join a band and do the same (and I know that is more of a distant goal than a right now). People say it is more fun learning with people, just jamming out, but realistically, outside of this band made up of guys 20ish years my senior who are so far above my skill level at this point and have finite time that barely covers their rehearsals, I know of no one to join up with. For reference I am 36.

Sometimes I wonder if I would benefit from getting lessons and then maybe the teacher can introduce me to people, but Covid is blocking that from happening at this point. I also feel like the type of personality I have requires me to get input from someone because I am not good at self critique.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App