Author Topic: Guitar chords to uke chords  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Guitar chords to uke chords
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:12:50 am »
I started on this site to learn the guitar but i have had to switch exclusively to uke for now and will come back to the guitar in about 1.5 years.

In the meantime, i look at some of justins guitar lessons and try to learn what i can from guitar and am wondering is there a way to figure out the right uke chords quickly, if you know the guitar chords.

I just started reading the transcribe lessons and then saw the software and realised its for    guitar. The thing is a lot of the uke chords i'm finding on the uke chords sites don't really suit me for one reason or another. I mean sometimes they seem inaccurate and sometimes they pitch is wrong for my voice.

I've started to learn a little theory - about how chords are made up from scales and how you get a bunch of stand chords in a key though i don't really know how to name a key or pick a key etc and i don't know all the scales. But if anyone knew a clear technique to make chord changes it would be great for me.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
Re: Guitar chords to uke chords
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 01:47:49 pm »
Depends on what guitar chords you know, and how well.  But...

If you took a capo on the 5th fret of the guitar, the top 4 strings are the same notes as a uke.  G C E A. 

That means the guitar shapes on the top 4 strings are the same as the uke shapes. 

If you play an open G chord shape on a guitar at the fifth fret that is a C chord, x x 5 5 5 8.  That means on a Uke 0 0 0 3 is also a C chord.  In both cases G C E C.

Open C shape at fifth is an F chord,  x x 7 5 6 5.  Uke x x 2 0 1 0.  A C F A.

It may not be the most efficient way to learn Uke chords.  But working them out will be good for you.  The open shapes at the 5th guitar fret sound a perfect fourth higher than the shape (G is C; C is F; E is A; etc.).  That gives you the name.  The 'dots' on the top 4 strings is the shape.

So an A chord on uke would be 2 1 0 0 from the open E guitar shape.  A C# E A.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 03:19:03 am »

I understand part of your reply. And thanks for answering. Its great just to have an answer at all!

Is it always going to be the fifth fret? Will it work for all guitar chords transposing to uke? I mean we're talking about chords that would be played normally on the first few frets of course.

Basically if i know the name and shape of guitar chord, should be able to work it. I'll do a test... ha ha its going to take me a little longer than i've got time for right now.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 07:07:09 am »
I only picked the 5th fret because those are the same notes as the open uke strings.

The top four strings of any chord on guitar will transfer to the uke in terms of shape.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App