Author Topic: cord tones  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Murphy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
cord tones
« on: July 22, 2016, 04:01:58 pm »
Just started the "Master the Major Scale" and there is a stated need to recognize the cord tones in all positions. What is the purpose of knowing them other than a cord strum? I can do e shaped cords only and some a shaped. But will never be able to do the C,D,G, etc cords.

Please explain the need to recognize these tones and explain if they are to be practiced on their own?

Thanks...................

Offline BartNL

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: cord tones
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 04:13:23 pm »
One reason is that you will be using that scale to improvise over a chord sequence. In that case, you will give special significance to the chord's tones, especially the root, 3rd and 5th, because they sound "especially good", and will also give structure to the improvisation.
1991 Ibanez AM-50, 2008 Am. DL Strat, Airline Twin tone, Cubase, computer-amped by Amplitube

Offline Murphy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 04:49:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

So does that mean that in a progression of G, C, D. I would have to know the tones in each of the cords and use them as predominate notes when that particular cord is being played? Or as it is a G scale would only use the G scale tones?

thanks...................

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 06:01:48 pm »
You could be using the G major scalè throughout the solo, but on the G chord emphasize the G, B and D on the C emphasise the C, E ànd G, ànd on the D emphasise the D, A and F#.

This is the beginning of playing the way a jazz soloist does. It is àlmost as if you need to think about the chord you are soloing over.

When you finish MtMS, check out Jazz Up Your Blues and the Arpeggio lessons.

To practice, record a one chord vamp on a looper and solo, trying to privelege the chord tones.

Then, màke a loop of two of the chords. Try to hit the chord tones over each chord. And try to make it musical.Then try with a different pair of çhords. Then the other two.

Add in the third chord on the next loop.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

So does that mean that in a progression of G, C, D. I would have to know the tones in each of the cords and use them as predominate notes when that particular cord is being played? Or as it is a G scale would only use the G scale tones?

thanks...................

Both.  You can play the G major scale over the progression, but in terms of phrasing you may want to emphasize one or more of the chord tones that is are being. 

So you are improvising with G Major scale:  G A B C D E F#

When the harmony is on G chord, it is useful understand that the G chord is made of G B and D.

When the harmony is on C chord, it is useful understand that the G chord is made of C E and G.

When the harmony is on D chord, it is useful understand that the D chord is made of D F# and A.

Those aren't the only notes that work over the chords, and you don't want to limit yourself to just those notes, but those are nice strong resolution points.  But you will want to use the other notes as well because music is about tension and resolution.

Note that all of the chord tones come from the G Major scale, because all the chords (in your example) are from the G major scale.

Knowing the chord tones and where they are allows you to purposely target them when you practice, which allows you to hear them, which in turn eventually allows your ears and hand to find them them and be able to grab them intuitively when you are playing when you want that "resolved" sound.  Which is where you want to get eventually.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Murphy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 07:08:28 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, I now understand.

Although it does seem to be a VERY daunting task.

Maybe in my next life.  :)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 07:54:13 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, I now understand.

Although it does seem to be a VERY daunting task.

Maybe in my next life.  :)

The alternatives are playing the melodies you hear in your head, or just twiddling on random notes.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:19 pm »
Murphy

While you're learning the major scale shapes focus on the patterns formed by the intervals, as apart from adjustment for the 2nd/B string, they're always in the same place relative to one and other.

So lets take that root 3rd 5th major chord.

The 3rd is always gonna be down one string ( as in down to the next higher E to A etc or thinner string) and one fret back and the 5th will be 3 frets up from the 3rd or one string down 2 frets up from the root)

Here's a Stitchagram to show you what I mean ...........

So get to know the notes on the neck and / or the notes in the scale your going use for the melody. And remember those relationship in respect of each chords root. So take a nice easy I IV V progression in G
and you know the chords are gonna be G C D. Now it doesn't matter where you find those notes on the neck but the 3rd and 5th of those 3 root notes are always gonna be in the same place relative to the root.
(So from a 3rd string root just nudge the 3rd and 5th up a fret higher on the 2nd string).

I'm not saying you just use those 3 chord notes all the time but if you do that as an exercise you will find they sound good but don't get tied down by it.

Anyway hope this helps  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 02:24:56 pm »
Another response to the original question - even if you don't want to learn C, D or G shaped barre chords, you need the chord tones to find and play triads.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 06:06:10 pm »
The will be three things combining if you are going to begin to fully use chord tones effectively
1) knowledge of chord shapes (CAGED especially)
2) knowledge of arpeggios for major, minor, 7th etc chords
3) knowledge of major scale, aeolian scale, major and minor pentatonic said, and how they superimpose above the CAGED shapes.

I suppose (4) should be that you have learned to use these in improvisations, learned some solid and the underlying chord progressions and have developed a good ear.

Playing deliberately on chord tones is definitely not a beginner skill.
It will take perhaps years to get anywhere near good at it.

Offline rohit_nsk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 08:02:23 am »
Still not understood purpose of chord tones please explain in depth.

Thanks.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 10:51:08 am »

Thanks.

In depth starts here which is page 2 so you need to refer to the video in the first post of that entire thread.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 228
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 01:00:20 pm »

Thanks.

In depth starts here which is page 2 so you need to refer to the video in the first post of that entire thread.

And send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a doc I put together with all the explanation that Close2u provided in many posts in this topic.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App