Author Topic: playing three string chords - Nashville numbering  (Read 563 times)

Offline pec

• Good Vibes 0
playing three string chords - Nashville numbering
« on: July 07, 2016, 10:01:58 pm »
Hi all,

I am a bass player working to learn guitar.   I play in a band and sometimes it would be nice to have a second guitar playing something different than the open chords.

I have watched the video on major triad chords on the three strings.    I like the concept of movable chords .

When playing bass i can easily change keys and play the vi or V because I know the shapes.

Is there a tip or trick to easily transpose keys and begin on the Root and always know the IV or V (for example)?

I hope this is clear ;)

added a bit later:    I guess I can use 5th and 6th string power chords and get what I want rather than 1,2,3 string chord shapes....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:40:31 pm by pec »

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
Re: playing three string chords - Nashville numbering
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:51:52 am »
To transpose keys you can do it just by the shape, without knowing the names of the chords, even. If you know the Major minor minor Major Major minor the other one sequence, and you know which chord is the 1, you can just learn the relative positions of all of the different degrees. You'd know the position of each of the notes in the major scale from your bass playing, and then whether the chord will be major or minor from the Major/minor cycle of the diatonic chords.

On this site the triads section, the CAGED stuff, the Practical Music Theory book and the Master the Major Scale dvd should help you. The arpeggio stuff is good for bass playing, too.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Offline pec

• Good Vibes 0
Re: playing three string chords - Nashville numbering
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 01:19:38 pm »
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App