Author Topic: Learn from Justin excel and from my mistake as well  (Read 1167 times)

Offline crowxe

• Good Vibes 1
Learn from Justin excel and from my mistake as well
« on: July 04, 2016, 10:06:19 pm »
i had a guitar for 22 years (notice i didn't say "been playing guitar" ) .

i had 2 lessons with a pro then continued a dozen more at a neighbor whom was already learning guitar but much advanced than me.

the guy despite being still learning guitar gave me lots of info and exercises, learning on the hand of a student is not the worst thing though....

MY UGLY MISTAKE WAS.... i noticed that many of Metallica's songs (the reason why i wanted to play guitar) already contain what could be exercises. so i dumped the exercises and started practice through playing some of the easy metallica's songs. the plan/goal was to go up one song after another but that never happened, my skills froze at a certain level (despite what i thought to be practicing) which made me believe that this is it for me, i dont have what it takes to improve further.

For almost 21 years i kept believing that until i found JustinGuitar...after 2 weeks, i improved like 20% more than where i was...i realized that hammering my self practicing a song for a month wont get me anywhere but practicing the basics (technique exercises )  for 2 weeks did me better.

boring exercise makes me play the song better than practicing it over and over

Justin...i cant thank you enough :)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
Re: Learn from Justin excel and from my mistake as well
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 04:27:51 am »
Spot on. Jump on board the Beginner's Course and learn some of the Stage 1 songs - you'll be Metallica-ing this time next year.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Offline Johan217

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:16:03 am »
I still have a bookshelf of tab books that I collected in my early guitar days. Other than for referencing the chords and lyrics of a song, they are positively useless for learning parts that are beyond one's level. You may learn the notes of an arpeggio (or whatever) from a tab, but if you haven't learned the proper technique it will sound bad no matter how hard you try.

Learning what to practice and how to practice it is one of the most valuable lessons we get from Justin. Without it I'd still be plinking along to Blitzkrieg Bop hoping that one day I will improve.  :)
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline crowxe

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 11:59:16 am »
thank you Dr. Winter...i'll check that section. and John.... i fully agree to what you said, if i took it as a motto 22 years ago i may have been even a little close to kirk Hammet or something by now lol

Offline Tazz3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 05:41:04 am »
Yeah its crazy i been playing on and off and i really wanna get good so i started from his begiinger course and its fun chord changes are good snd stuming 4 bars then chaheing chords inwill be good some day

Get The Forum As A Mobile App