Author Topic: Intermediate or Beginner  (Read 968 times)

Offline chris goss

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Intermediate or Beginner
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:30:25 pm »
Not sure if I should begin with the IM course.  I purchased the course and the book.  Looked through the consolidation suggestions and can do most all of it with the exception of 10 song list.  I've not really spent a lot of time learning songs.  I put together a list of 10 using most of the ones Justin recommends and have 5 of them down using the easy strum approach).  I was thinking of starting the IM course while learning the rest of the songs on my list or maybe continue to review the later lessons in the BC while I finish up the 10 song list....thoughts? 

Chris

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
Re: Intermediate or Beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 12:38:11 am »
The standard reply tends to be to fly through the BC just to make sure, and that you'll pick up the odd tidbit etc. I think the real benefit of going back to the beginning for an intermediate  player is that you can learn how Justin structures practice sessions, and for you to learn that. You could choof through the material of the BC quite quickly. In the early stages only 15 or 20 minutes per day are required. You, as an intermediate player, are probably already playing for more than an hour a day, so you could use the extra time to build up your repertoire or work on your lead or theory or something.

Learning to practice effectively is one of the best things about this site. If you don't do the BC, make sure you do do the practice schedule lessons, because the IM is much less hand-holdy.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Big Muff, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90, Ditto X2, Dyna Comp, Splash MkIII, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power

Offline chris goss

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:53:13 am »
Thanks Doc.  Yeah... I pretty much did review the entire BC vids over the weekend and paused to play out each item he covered that was a different approach than how I learned it.  I got all the way up to stage 8 before I saw something that I needed to polish.  I practice at least an hour and a half per day so I think I'll finish my review and polish of the BC and songs and press on to the IM course.  I really like Justin's song lessons and the beginner songbook is great.  In only 2 days I've got the basic song structure down for 8 of my 10 songs.  It's fun too!  Thanks again.

Chris

Offline jtbrown1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 04:03:17 am »
Not sure if I should begin with the IM course.  I purchased the course and the book.  Looked through the consolidation suggestions and can do most all of it with the exception of 10 song list.  I've not really spent a lot of time learning songs.  I put together a list of 10 using most of the ones Justin recommends and have 5 of them down using the easy strum approach).  I was thinking of starting the IM course while learning the rest of the songs on my list or maybe continue to review the later lessons in the BC while I finish up the 10 song list....thoughts? 

Chris
Chris, I would recommend you not move to the IM until you can play at least ten songs, not with the easy strum approach, but with the appropriate strum pattern for each song as described by Justin. Also, include some finger style songs as well.

You don't want to move to the IM until you have a solid grasp of rhythm, and can easily handle the various strum patterns Justin uses in the songs, as well as the half dozen RUST patterns he teaches within the BC.

If you can handle the "1 E and a, 2 E and a" strumming with constant wrist motion, then you should be ok to move on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline chris goss

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 04:12:56 am »
Thanks JT.  That's good advice.  I have been playing for about 6 years now.  I went through all of the consolidation test stuff in the BC and can easily perform all of the suggested items.  I'm reviewing the slash chords now and just playing some of the songs in the beginner song book.  I am using the more advanced strumming patterns that Justin covers in his videos.  I also picked House of The Rising Sun as one of my tunes to get some fingerstyle practice going.  One of my goals is to learn to play fingerstyle songs like Tommy Emanuel...in addition to Justin's songbook and IM course...I also bought his fingerstyle course.  I really like his teaching style.

Thanks for your input.

CG

Get The Forum As A Mobile App