Author Topic: Experimenting with the pickups magnetic field to create new music  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Audleif

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Today,My bro suggested to use a coin as pluck/plectrum after I developed calluses on my thumbs due to practicing
I noticed that using coin made tone a brighter/crisp(since it's hard metal) and also it subtly affected the tone due to magnetic field of pickups attracting it downward(try to strum/plcuk slowly and you will notice the difference)
The another idea came to my  mind of using magnets as pluck to see if the interference in magnetic field produce any difference but in my case it didn't
I used a key ring magneti attached to coin and used coin as a pluck(since it wa so thing that it cannot be directly used),maybe that's why it didn't affect the tune(because magnetic field strength was quite low) or maybe ibanez's default pickups are not that great

Anyway,

SO anybody tried this or going to try?
If yes

Please post the .wav recording(RAW/Unedited) and follwoing details
1.)Pickup-used
2.)Magnet strength(optional)
3.)Magnet type
4.)Magnet's dimension( lxbxh or diameter/thickness)
5.)Any effects used
6.)Amp setting/Amp Name
7.)Way of Using/Plucking:Directly plucking through magnet or attaching magnet to some metallic object and then plucking it
8.)Orientation of Magnet :Which side of magnet was plucking the string(NP or SPole)
9.)Pickup Arrangement

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Experimenting with the pickups magnetic field to create new music
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 08:15:51 am »
Brian May uses coins as picks, notably old English sixpences and I'm pretty sure I read/saw somewhere that the use of coins as picks is not uncommon.  As for magnets, I may be wrong but I guess that's sort of how an Ebow works though of course, you are not actually picking the strings.
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 08:27:48 am »
Billy Gibbons (Zz Top) has been known for using a Peso.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 173
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »
Using magnets is nothing new, as agj notes, the Ebow is an example of using magnets to create a feedback loop (the Ebow is, in essence, a guitar pickup with amplified magnets) to get a continueous tone (the new models also do a harmonic loop, i suspect they tinker with the output/phase to achieve this).
However, using magnets to change the magnetic field won't do much on it's own.
Phase changes, using powered magnets and such will have an effect, but simply sticking an AlNiCo or Neodymium magnet somewhere near your pickups won't have any effects (or perhaps i should say, not any desireable effects).
Biggest differences in tone will be achieved by different plectrums, specifically different thicknesses, different materials.

[edit] A former member did some mucking about with magnets, phase changes and such (as his name indicates, he was an inventor, and trying to reinvent the guitar pickup) https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=24268.0 .
He also did another thread about a new kind of pickup, but i can't for the life of me find it right now, i may edit this post further once i do, because it was an interesting project that might help this discussion along a bit.[/edit]

[edit2] Found it! https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=14930.0 [/edit2]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:32:46 pm by Dan Graves »

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 06:37:18 pm »
My post was not meant in a condescending manner,  discovering new stuff or stuff that's new to you and experimenting is always good fun and can only be a positive thing  8)
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 173
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 07:32:18 pm »
Neither is mine, but if it comes across as such... *shrugs*
Asperger syndrome FTW/FTL i guess.

And i agree, experimenting is good, but i also find it's handy to know in advance when things won't work.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 11:31:35 pm »
Neither is mine, but if it comes across as such... *shrugs*

FWIW, I didn't read it as being negative. Thanks for digging up the links.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App