Author Topic: When to switch to bass?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Fatix

• Good Vibes 0
When to switch to bass?
« on: May 26, 2016, 05:24:46 pm »
I'm total new to guitar, playing for like a month. I got a classical guitar as a present. I'm following the Justin's lessons, now practicing the Dmin Amin and Emin chords. My question is I want to switch to bass and when should I switch to it? (An answer like after Intermediate courses would be perfect) Thanks in advance.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
Re: When to switch to bass?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:35:36 pm »
If you want to play Bass Guitar start now. The only thing that is the same between Bass and
6 string is 4 of strings and music theory. Unless you get a 5 string bass  ;)

You can learn both at the same time, but Justin's lessons aren't going to help much with Bass Guitar.

Offline Fatix

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:48:10 pm »
But I don't wanna turn down the present I got, also the guitar salesman told the buyer that it's better to start with a classical to learn basics and getting fingers trained. So should I get a bass whenever it's possible?

Offline Fox Cunning

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:15:53 pm »
"Switch" as in "stop playing guitar and only play bass"? If you've got the time and dedication, I'd say play both.
Not at the same time, though ;D

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:24:14 pm »
If you want to play Bass Guitar start now. The only thing that is the same between Bass and
6 string is 4 of strings and music theory. Unless you get a 5 string bass  ;)

You can learn both at the same time, but Justin's lessons aren't going to help much with Bass Guitar.

+1

I play both, badly.

There are two less strings to fret on a bass, but what your right hand's doing is a whole different ballgame  :)

If you want to play guitar, get a guitar.
If you want to play bass, get a bass.

The salesman (clue's in the name) wanted to make a sale.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 06:35:37 pm »
But I don't wanna turn down the present I got, also the guitar salesman told the buyer that it's better to start with a classical to learn basics and getting fingers trained. So should I get a bass whenever it's possible?

Don't turn down the present, learn how to play guitar. It's load of fun. Like Fox said you don't have to
quit one to learn the other.
When you can afford a bass guitar pick one up and start learning how to play it.

Offline Fatix

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 08:49:47 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm starting to save some money for bass & other gears. But I'll keep to learn classical / electric too.

Offline john256

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 03:41:00 pm »
I'd say someone who learns guitar and bass from the very beginning could be really handy as they get good. Both will teach you important stuff very differently that fit together.

If you really don't enjoy guitar then you might just have to trade it in, better than leaving it unused in a cupboard ;)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 139
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 10:00:36 am »
Learn both and later on you can record them seperately and accompany yourself :)

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
my band Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App