Author Topic: my second guitar purchase  (Read 1648 times)

Offline adibranch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
my second guitar purchase
« on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:23 pm »
Hooray I've got a new guitar coming.  Does my logic make sense in the decision? Who knows... as its my second one I think this is perhaps more important than my first guitar I bought. (The first one was based purely on how it felt, and not how it sounded. It's an Ibanez PC12 MH at £100).

These were the thought processes for the new one.  Right or wrong, I thought I'd post them for others in a similar position. (I'm a beginner/intermediate by the way, and had a budget of around £400 but would go higher if I found something nice.)

So, I had seagull in my mind and went along to a shop with a few and tried them, being set on a folk size with a smaller nut and shorter scale, as I'm a little bloke. I tried a few and decided I liked a 'seagull excursion mini jumbo walnut' purely because of the full rich sound it had. Granted its bigger, sort of between a grand/folk a dread, but not too bad really. These are basically a stripped back but lovely sounding seagull, and I kinda like the rugged unfinished and simple look. Smaller nut and scale, Solid Sitka Spruce top and hardwood walnut laminate sides  .. £400.

Then, I went into a local shop and tried a Martin Junior dread.. and that's where the problem started. These are lovely ! Great sound, great size, all solid, but without the slightly fuller sound that the mini jumbo seagull gave me. Loved the style and build quality and the sound though for a smaller bodied guitar.. £600. (I'd previously tried the taylor GS mini but felt it was too short on the scale even for me, and I didn't like the ebony which kinda felt a bit rubbery)

I'm a lounge player, I'm not ready to unleash my awesome talents at an open mic or jam night just yet. So, which is better for me? The fuller sound of the bigger seagull? Or the better, more impressive,  but not so nice sounding smaller Martin that would perhaps last me years but is really more geared for taking out?

The way I saw it.. the Martin was good for showoff value only (in that I had the good wisdom to choose such a good little guitar). But, as a relative beginner, why would I choose something for £600 as a main guitar for lounge playing when its really more of a travel guitar?

What swung it though was that I found the seagull on ebay for £250 new from a closed music shop selling off stock. At that price, I can probably sell it on for not much less if I don't get on with it. I do want that Martin, but I think i'll hold off until I start playing at open mics or jam nights etc. To be honest, there was also an element of all the gear, no idea.

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: my second guitar purchase
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:43:25 am »
I looked at many acoustics at all prices and settled on a Seagull Entourage Rustic. I put EB Earthwood 13s on it and it sounds amazing. Nice bell like highs and deep mellow lows... It's my second seagull and have never regretted the choice.
You get a high end guitar at a lower price

Offline adibranch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:04:46 pm »
Yeah I loved the sound. Looking forward to getting it. And I actually like the stripped back look and the burnt inlay design.

One thing with it that the guy in the shop noticed, was that when I laid my hand gently over the strings I could feel them vibrating strongly from the ambient sound in the room .. none of the others seemed to do that.

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 04:43:36 am »
Yeah I loved the sound. Looking forward to getting it. And I actually like the stripped back look and the burnt inlay design.

One thing with it that the guy in the shop noticed, was that when I laid my hand gently over the strings I could feel them vibrating strongly from the ambient sound in the room .. none of the others seemed to do that.
I wrote to Seagull to ask about my guitar. One of the remarks was about the strings and suggested if I wanted a more mellow sound to use the D'addario flat tops.
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductsAcoustic.Page?ActiveID=1904
Scroll down to the red packs...

Offline adibranch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:01:16 am »
Its arrived :) Love it.. the bigger lower bout is more than noticeable compared to my old concert sized, but I don't think its going to be a problem... especially when it carries the sound to go with it :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App