Author Topic: Linux is Freaking Weird  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
Linux is Freaking Weird
« on: May 06, 2016, 07:24:27 pm »
If anyone is interested in Computers and Linux, I highly recommend the following video.

It's by a guy, Brian Lunduke, who has been presenting similar comical but informative talks on the Linux scene for a few years now.

Enjoy!

(By the way, it's not particularly techy)

https://youtu.be/xPbAXKMCDkY

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
Re: Linux is Freaking Weird
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:03:50 pm »
If Lucy was yor sister you'd be weird too.

;D

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 10:14:06 pm »
What the...  :o
Bookmarked for later.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 08:04:36 am »
Yep, same here, bookmarked for later on today.
As a long time linux user, i'm very curious to find out..

Will get back on this...
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 149
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 09:35:09 am »
Basically it's a roundup of remarkeable non-pc items Linux is running on.

Guy does a good job presenting; he's fluid, clear and easy to follow and it's fun to know what kinds of stuff Linux runs on.

To say" Linux is weird" and show this presentation makes me feel like I fell for clickbait :).

Yes, he states Linux is doing - everything- these days.
Jup; Linux does the "engineery" stuff and Windows is doing most of the "offices" stuff. Linux is the tool for -those- jobs because of it's flexilibity and stability. Many of these products using Linux came to me like "yeah, seems like a logical choice to those Linux". (I'm not even a fan of Linux at all because much of it's use seems like the product of mashed up functionalities that work great but have bad UX ^^.)

Isn't it logical you pick the right tool for the job? I'm nailing a hammer in the wall; I'll use a hammer. But I'm also going to break a Ming vaze while doing a backflip. Weird? yeah. but I'll still use a hammer to do the actual smashing because it's a common tool that has proven it's worth doing the job of smashing. The job is weird/fun/awesome, the tool is not.

I guess he wouldn't have drawn so many spectators if the presentation was called: "See what nifty stuff is driven by Linux". He does a very good job doing -that- though :)

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 01:24:49 pm »
@LievenDV: the reason Windooze is still doing office stuff is because most companies are so tied into the os, it would cost a fortune to switch. (But in the end, would end up cheaper. but try to tell that to a cto, right?)

Anyway, Linux is on the rise. That's all i can say. Linux has already won in the datacentre and beyond. Now it's time to focus on the desktop. (As Linus said earlier on, "i still want the desktop". And he's right).

I've been a long time Windooz user in a former life, untill i discovered Linux. (That would be around Ubuntu 8, i guess). I tried it in a vm first, after a while made the switch and haven't looked back since. I'm forced to use Windooz at work, but that will change in the future. (Linux made it to  the back-end of our company already.... XD )

Today, there's not a thing that can't be done on a Linux system, which could also be done on a Windooz system.
Ok, ok, apart from gaming, i'll give you that. But that's only because more AAA studio's need to wake up and smell the coffee. But that's something that's slowly, but surely is getting underway too. (Look at Vulcan and others).

Great days lie ahead for us, Linux users... :-)
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 04:21:19 pm »
Got to agree with that.

In the last few years I've worked for some large companies that are using Windows on the desktop and it's painfully clear it's because they are trapped into that ecosystem. Mostly their desktops are so locked down that they can hardly use most of the capabilities, and security software an upgrades put a massive dent in their productivity. In one company I worked at, someone estimated they lose up to 6 days of productivity per year per employee due to waiting for Windows updates.

In one I worked at a couple of years ago, a FTSE 100 company, they reckoned it cost them around £2000 to deploy each new laptop (£800 cost of laptop, the rest in deployment costs and other licences) and they mostly locked them down so they could only access most applications via Citrix.

But, in common with a lot of Enterprise IT departments, it's run by "businessmen" rather than people who actually understand IT. These people make commercial deals in lieu of understanding anything about the technology, and this is exploited by large Enterprise IT vendors to trap them into deals which guarantee they will continue using their software even if there are better alternatives.

In the FTSE 100 company, for instance, I bought in a brand-new £200 chromebook, and showed that I could unbox it, configure it, connect to their Guest Wifi install the Citrix client, and log into their network and be reading emails faster than one of their preconfigured Windows laptops could boot. The £200 device with almost no additional admin costs outperformed the £2,000 devices they were currently using. But the IT guy told me their hands as they had a "partnership" with Microsoft which meant they pretty much had to use Windows for all desktops. In another I asked what their IT strategy was, and the answer was "whatever is on Microsoft's roadmap; we rely on their consultants to give us best advice on IT strategy".

Almost universally I see people in Enterprises struggling with Windows, mainly because to make it "secure" it has to be locked down to the point it is hardly usable any more.

The FUD is that Linux is difficult to use. For a home user installing it from scratch and configuring it and setting it up, there may be some truth in that. But for Enterprise use where someone else is configuring and managing it, it's completely untrue. In cases where Enterprises have switched over to Linux, after the initial learning curve and training (which is no worse than moving from, say, Windows XP to Windows 7) they have seen a significant drop in support calls and an increase in productivity.

Linux has taken over the world, and this video shows that. Linux is in everything from routers to set-top boxes, wifi speakers to milking machines. Windows may still be the most popular desktop in the world, but that's becoming less important as more and more apps are becoming web-accessible. Traditional PC and laptop sales are plummeting and the bestselling computing devices in the consumer space are now Chromebooks. Education is starting to catch up with this trend and, eventually, Enterprise will as well.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 149
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 09:48:31 pm »
you're kinda missing my point and going in to the most reflex Linux fans have:  Defend it with good arguments.
(no offense but I had my share through the years :) )

And I say "good arguments" because what you guys say makes total sense. I'm glad the best OS for a certain job is chosen to do so. I'm not propating any OS and yes I'm aware of what will/could happen in the future if -some- people are successful (and -will- monetize it). At this point I don't give an actual hoot about what OS I will work with withing 5,10 or 15y. I'm not even commenting linux.

My point was;
The presentation was clickbait. I'm commenting the dude who gives the presentation.
Linux isn't weird.
Engineers around the world do cool stuff and create interesting and innovative projects.
Linux is the tool for this kinds of projects.
Does it make Linux weird?
robots playing soccer, is that weird? no, it is a proof of concept of creating a humanoid robot to use in dangerous situations. Is it remarkeable? yes.
Launching rockets is cool. not weird. Running a stable and performant OS is cool too so it's a logical choice  in an enviroment where these factors are priority.
My point is, the title and his complete hook are clickbait.

I'm a retired ICT'er and now in marketing.
my ICT side says: linux isn't weird,never was... it is a logical choice?! If it would say: "Visual foxpro or the Magic application development tool is weird" yeah I would buy that.
my marketing side says: here's a fan trying to draw a crowd with the words "f***" and "weird" while he creates an expection that aint being deliverd.

Like this; I can give a presentation each day:
-"Fender Mustangs are bat-crazy!" and show the wacky styles and guitarist involved in the usage of one
- "the AK-47 is evil!" and show some mischief being attempted by using them
- "Night time is wacky!" and show some crazy scenes of what happens in the world when the sun goes down.

Was it a "ok" presentation? yes.
is linux weird? absolutely not.
I expected something smart. It didn't deliver.
Am I f**** critical for a claim made in a presentation or advertisement? hell yes  8)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 09:32:02 am »
It's not an advert, it's a presentation given in a non-commercial computer meet-up.

The guy in question is well known on the circuit, and gives other presentations such as "Linux Sucks" and "Windows is Awesome" at such meet-ups.

Click bait? Only if you analyse and deconstruct it in the very specific way that you've personally chosen, which includes bypassing any sort of sense of humour.

Seriously, lighten up man!

Keith

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 149
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 06:17:10 pm »
I -did- say it was ok and still entertaining.

I won't discuss sense of humour as it is like colour and taste and I'm pretty sure I'm not the most grim figure around here ;)

I just can't stand it when semantics are being abused for personal gain. I was genuinly dissapointed not to see -actual- weird stuff. :p

btw thanks for sharing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App