Author Topic: do accoustic guitars vary *within* models?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline jcb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
do accoustic guitars vary *within* models?
« on: May 06, 2016, 11:59:28 am »
I currently play a very beginners yamaha f310 and a some version of a $100 oscar schmidt washburn which i have been playing for about 7 years since i took up the guitar (both cheap guitars, but at the time i lived in 2 continents, so had to travel between the two!).
I'm at that stage where i'm about to buy a 'nice' guitar. GAS kicking in  :o Fwiw, i'm leaning towards a Martin 000-15m, but that's the subject of another discussion!
Before i pull the trigger on an expensive guitar (new), i'm wondering if they'll vary much from guitar to guitar within the same model (ie one 000-15m vs another 000-15m - i use the martin example, but the question is about other brands too). You hear so much about musicians buying well worn second hand models because it shows they've been loved and played and sound good. Presumably this means that some just don't?
My fear is obviously that you spend a lot of money, and end up with a 'pup', even though its a brand and a model that gets rave reviews across the board.
the advice always seems to be go and try it, but.... veeery slight variations or build issues that are going to come back and haunt you later... can anybody but a really serious luthier tell? and while there are a lot of good and honest guitar shops out there, there's got to be a natural tendancy to save the peaches for the great musicians, and the run of the mill versions for the intermediate punters who have just fallen in love!
would be super grateful for the collective wisdom of this fantastic forum!
(also, at the risk of opening a real pandora's box, do some brands vary more than others? are martins idiosyncratic vs ever reliable taylors etc? again, just using these names as examples!).

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
Re: do accoustic guitars vary *within* models?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 12:25:00 pm »
Yes.  There is going to be some variation between guitars even if they are the same model.

When I was bought my Big Baby Taylor's they had two

One felt and sounded better to me.  I may have imagined it, but I went and tried some other guitars and then came back to the two Big Baby's I still preferred the same one (I had noted the last digit of the serial numbers).

Hardly a definitive double blind study, but yes two of the same model guitars can definitely be different.

But I must point out this didn't really have much to do with "quality" as in one guitar was "bad" and the other was "good"; but had to do with feel and other subjective stuff.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:35:48 pm »
If you like the Martin 000, then hunt down a Sigma 00015 to try. It's basically the same guitar but made in China. Martin used to own Sigma, copied their own guitars and had them made in Asia under license, they later sold Sigma.

80%* of the Martin for a third of the price. Sigma make other Martin copies too.

*Subjective, but for me it was close enough in sound and feel to save my money and not buy the big brand name.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:14:08 pm »
, i'm wondering if they'll vary much from guitar to guitar within the same model (ie one 000-15m vs another 000-15m - i use the martin example, but the question is about other brands too).

You'll find solid wood guitars will vary from day to day in the same guitar. When the humidity is high
all my solid wood guitars sound muddy, my Ovation and my L00 (which has laminated back and sides
but solid spruce top) don't change at all or very little with the change of humidity.
When the humidity is low in the winter my 2 Gibson acoustic sound their best. 

Offline jcb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 10:06:51 pm »
Thanks drubbing - somebody else said this too. I'll def put side by side before buying.

Stitch 101 and shadowscott - thanks for the advice - interesting!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App