Author Topic: Small body guitar?  (Read 2371 times)

Offline milby

• Good Vibes 0
Small body guitar?
« on: May 05, 2016, 01:46:29 pm »
I'm looking to buy the Yamaha FG800 guitar as my first acoustic guitar.  But then I saw the FS800 which is a smaller body (concert) guitar. 

Is there a huge difference in sound and would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
Re: Small body guitar?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:27:08 pm »
There is a difference in sound but whether you find it a good or bad thing is up to you.
I prefer smaller body guitars, to me they are more comfortable to play and have a nicer sound
for the style of music I play. out of the 6 guitars I own 1 is a dred, 1 is a sloped shoulder dred
and the rest are all smaller body guitar the smallest being a L00 size.

Go play them both and see which one you like the best. You're the only person who can choose
the right guitar for you.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 12:34:33 pm »
Purely preference. Go with what you like and feels best. I played as many dreads as I could find. Being lefty, that's not a huge amount. But none of them felt comfortable. As soon as I tried a smaller body 000, I'd found my guitar.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 11:06:26 am »
Either try to help milby and the question in the OP or keep quiet in this thread.

This is the third time I have had to moderate by splitting off-topic chatter from the actual question asked. Can you please refrain from this or take it elsewhere.

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:48:08 am »
I found this article which was quite interesting;
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/_Acoustic_Size_Matters

Tonally, smaller guitars tend to possess greater brightness or treble response, while bigger guitars (with larger air cavities in the body), at least have a greater potential for bass response.

I personally have a thinline guitar which I traded in my Jumbo for. I'm just a beginner+ and not noticed a huge difference for what I want it for, other than I find the thinline guitar much more comfortable to play.
Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 10:01:22 am »
and not noticed a huge difference for what I want it for, other than I find the thinline guitar much more comfortable to play.

And there you have the most important reason to get a smaller guitar.
If the sound it delivers satisfies you and you are comfortable playing it you found the right guitar.
You can still shape your tone with different strings and playing a bit higher up the neck to get a fuller sound. Granted, you will never reach the boominess of a dread, but if you are not aiming for that in the first place you are good.
Another good thing about smaller bodied guitars is that when playing with others who might be playing dreads you are cutting through and you will have a fuller sound together with you in the higher register and the dread in the lower.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Get The Forum As A Mobile App