Author Topic: Torn by which new guitar to buy  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Rondo

• Good Vibes 0
Torn by which new guitar to buy
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:02:56 am »
First of all, I would like to greet all the members of this forum,  it is great to be a part of such an awesome community, dedicated to mastering this tricky instrument.

Being  pretty much a complete beginner (did try to play when I was in school), my interest in guitar was reinvigorated by discovering  Justin's  channel. Then I dusted off my old  classical guitar, only the discover that the object of my childhood torture, unsurprisingly, is a horrifyingly cheap laminated guitar with high action of almost 1 cm at the 12th fret.  Yes--1 full centimeter! It is pretty much unplayable higher the 9th fret, no matter how strongly you press the strings. It also sounds awful, even after fully tuned and adjusted.

I tried to play it for a month or so, following Justin's beginner course, but I am unable to play even for ten minutes straight without hurting my fingers and getting those nasty lines.

So, just to keep it short, I want to buy a new acoustic guitar-be it nylon-string or steel-string. As I am 6'3 with pretty large hands and do have certain fondness for  any classical pieces on guitar, I was thinking of getting an affordable (for me, that is) classical guitar, say Yamaha C70 or C80.

Thing is that as Justin noted in his course those guitars are made for classical music (Mozart, Bach, etc) and he does not teach them, plus I also really like many folk songs the steel-string guitar is built for. So I, essentially, would like to play both classical and folk-rock ones. I am also aware that getting reasonably good at classical music requires much more time and effort, than say, simple beginner songs on acoustic guitar.

My question is how good is classical guitar at playing those strumming songs, does it really sound all that different? Will it be recognizable as songs? Or despite my large hands, I should just go ahead and buy the standard acoustic, like Yamaha F310?

Thanks for any advice or suggestion in advance.

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Torn by which new guitar to buy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:20:06 am »
Hi and welcome. I'd suggest a steel strung acoustic would be fine. I have such a one - a Taylor GS mini, and you'll see many opinions of that guitar on this forum. I'm happy with it, though it is not full size. I also have two electrics, though this is probably not what you're looking for. Electrics seem to have lower actions and thinner strings so are easier on the fingers.

Justin's course starts at beginner level, and there you would be building up hand coordination and rhythm, which would I guess be as applicable to classical guitar as it is to rock, pop or folk. Later on you might specialize. Justin does some finger picking work in the beginners course, which for me took me back to my classical guitar lessons many up years ago.

Just me 2 cents worth, and I'm a beginner too
Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:30:31 am »
Hello
Rondo
Welcome

Help us out a bit, what is your budget approximately

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:30:58 am »
You can certainly learn on a classical, but many of the songs for the beginners course just won't sound as nice as they will on a steel string acoustic. A classical guitar is really designed for single note work, and to be finger picked. They can be fairly dull sounding when strumming chords.

Hand size is irrelevant. Every beginner is convinced their body hands fingers are too big small fat thin long short. They're not.

Offline BartNL

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:05:07 am »
Indeed, as others said, a steel string acoustic is a bit more allround than a nylon string acoustic. But I would say that at the beginner stage, feeling comfortable with a guitar is more important than the sound. In other words, I would suggest that you get the guitar that is easiest and most comfortable to play, rather than asking what sounds best.

I have the opportunity of being able to play on both models, and I greatly prefer to steel string acoustic over a nylon string (and almost any electric over the acoustic steel string). For me (somewhat advanced beginner), the main difference lies in the length of the neck/spacing of the frets. A steel string will usually give you 2-3 more frets, or even more if you go for a model with a cutaway. I think the largest part of this difference comes from the fret-spacing, rather than the actual length of the neck.

The wider frets on the nylon string make spreads a bit hard for me, especially high up on the neck (near the nut). But perhaps this hasn't bothered you on the old guitar. What suits you is ultimately a personal matter. You can only find out by playing both models. Unfortunately, you may need a bit more time than what you have in a shop to find out what really suits you.
1991 Ibanez AM-50, 2008 Am. DL Strat, Airline Twin tone, Cubase, computer-amped by Amplitube

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 11:49:47 am »
I would suggest a steel string too as you have more options of play. I too have a Taylor GS Mini and love the sound. I am also buying a FENDER ACOUSTIC CD-60CE which has a great sound but is half the price.
It's probably best that you go to a music store and try a few in your price range to see which is the most comfortable for you.
Good luck and let us know :)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline Rondo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 12:37:46 pm »
Hello
Rondo
Welcome

Help us out a bit, what is your budget approximately

The thing is  that I  live in a pretty poor and small FSU country. There is not exactly an abundance of choice, when it comes to quality guitars. Old Soviet ones are unreliable and musical instrument market is pretty minuscule  and literally saturated with cheap pieces of wood with strings attached them, which can't, by any rational standards, be called "guitars". I have one of those abominations  right now.

Fortunately, Yamaha have their local branch here and when it comes to actual quality assurance, there the only ones I can really trust.  The other shop has expensive Fender and Ibanez guitars and some  other brand called Eko guitars, which are so cheap, I doubt they will do any good.

My target budget is around 150-180$ which is considered  a good  amount here and you can get Yamaha C80 for something like 180$, accessories not included. F310 for even less. Other guitars they have in stock are just way above my funds.  Cheapest electric (Yamaha Pacifica 112)  is like 220$.

They also have cheap C40s for like 115$, but I think they are for little children (3/4). The only affordable steel-string is I think Yamaha F310P there. The other shop does have Ibanez v50, Fender Squier Sa-105 and LAG and AXL steel string guitars.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:53:28 pm by Rondo »

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 12:51:37 pm »
I started out on a classical/spanish guitar. My older sister had one in the closet and I thought it was a great way of getting started without having to shell out for one.
I soon realized that the sound I love from an aoustic guitar was not a sound I could replicate on such a guitar even though I knew that I was a rank beginner with a long way to go. Trying a steel stringed guitar only once told me that it was what I wanted. The classical went into the closet again and I have been playing steel strings ever since.

You mention that you have a Yamaha local office in your city. I would go for one of those as they usually are good quality for the money. I myself have a 3/4 size travel guitar at the office for some between clients practicing and it works great for me. Not the biggest tone but very convenient.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 12:56:11 pm »
Yamaha are very good reliable quality and a good choice.
Obviously more money gets a 'better' one but all will be made to a good standard.
If there is a store near you go try a few.
I highly recommend steel strung.
Classical have wide flat necks so make the playing experience 'different', and they don't sound the same for songs, strumming etc.
Get the one that feels and sounds right for you.
Note:
You will not need electro-acoustic and so avoid paying the extra for this feature.
A cut-out body is not essential either but don't use it as a reason to buy or not buy.
Good luck.
Let us know how you get on.

Offline Rondo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 08:26:38 pm »

Thank you all for support.  Honestly I was really leaning towards just buying a classical guitar, but now I'll probably check out the standard acoustic ones more thoroughly too. At this point I guess it is better to just buy a  guitar  that is comfortable, works and then simply start playing it rather to endlessly agonize over what to buy. Will definitely hit the Yamaha store once again.   

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:41 am »
I just took delivery of a Seagull Entourage Rustic. Really nice guitar with a rich mellow tone.
I've been playing for a long time and this is one of the nicest I've tried.

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 08:56:33 am »

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 11:59:34 am »
I just took delivery of a Seagull Entourage Rustic. Really nice guitar with a rich mellow tone.
I've been playing for a long time and this is one of the nicest I've tried.

You won't be disappointed. Seagull guitars are so good, I bought two! Congrats!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 01:33:53 pm »
You won't be disappointed. Seagull guitars are so good, I bought two! Congrats!
Thankyou. I changed the strings to EB Earthwood PB 13s and the sound is perfect. That right mix of bell like high tones and warm mellow bass tones.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 01:44:46 pm »
I am using Earthwood strings too and I love the tone!
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Get The Forum As A Mobile App