Author Topic: setting metronome for a particular rythm pattern  (Read 1271 times)

Offline morbo

• Good Vibes 0
setting metronome for a particular rythm pattern
« on: April 08, 2016, 01:23:09 am »
Hi,
I am trying to play the old faithful strumming pattern (D DU  U D) along with a metronome. At anything above 40bpm I am finding it extremely difficult to find the correct middle points for the up strums ans say synchronized with the metronome. what usually happens is that the third beeps throws me off track and i loose synchronization.

Since, I am finding the 4 accents confusing, so is there a way that the app only beeps at the correct strumming time instead of equally spaced time which it currently does.

BR

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
Re: setting metronome for a particular rythm pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 01:40:33 am »
You need to count with the metronome 1&2&3&4& the numbers are the beeps (down strums) the & are inbetween
the beeps (up strums).  I think Justin explains this in the video.

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 04:24:32 am »
I sometimes set my metronome to twice the speed, then my up and down strums should match a metronome click (I have an old mechanical pendulum one). I don't recommend this approach, but it can help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SiegeFrog

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 06:18:25 pm »
I think that's the challenge of Old Faithful: the miss on beat 3. Up until this point of the BC, you've always played on the down beat (1,2,3,4) with the occasional up strum on the off beats. Now, you have to keep your hand moving and not hit the strings on beat 3 while still hitting the two up strums on either side. Oh, and don't forget to keep tapping your foot on the down beat. It sounds like it should be easy. It's not. It presents a few challenges:

0. Take the fretting hand out of the equation. Practice everything on muted strings, so you have one less thing to think about.

1. The foot tap. You've done months of work synchronizing your foot to your strumming hand. Now you need to disconnect them a little bit. You've got to tap your foot on the beat and miss the strings. Hopefully, at this point, your foot is automatic. Just keep tapping it and try not to think about it. Think about your hand instead. It can help to get the groove going by starting the foot tapping and arm movement before you start actually strumming the guitar. Do that for a few bars to get the rhythm into your body.

2. Tempo. For me as a beginner, I always found it hard to keep a good groove on anything less than about 55-60 BPM. What do you normally practice rhythm at? If you can comfortable strum a simple pattern at 60 BPM then start there. Then, turn the metronome off for a while. Build the groove with your hand and foot for a while before turning the metronome back on. Strumming an 8th note pattern at 40 BPM can be really challenging.

3. Practice. Justin makes it look easy, and of course once you get it, you got it. So much so, you'll find Old Faithful creeping into songs unintentionally. But you're going to have to drill this a bit before it becomes natural. Once you do though you'll have a powerful tool.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 10:25:10 am »
I can still hear Justin whispering 'miss' as he explained the beats for old faithful.
I find I use this strumming pattern on most songs unless a listen to the original shows otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:20:01 pm »
Sounds like perhaps you should spend more time strumming 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & along with the metronome to solidify the tweeners (upstrokes, upbeats) before you start to miss downstrokes.

Then start skipping some of the upstrokes:

1 2&3&4&
1&2 3&4&
1&2&3 4&
1&2&3&4

Or maybe just adding an upstroke here and there to approach it from the other sidev

1&2 3 4
1 2&3 4
1 2 3 4&
1&2& 3 4
1&2 3&4
1&2 3 4&
1 2&3&4
1 2&3 4&

If you don't feel the upbeats well, dropping the downbeat can be tough because they are your only solid rhythmic reference.

Two cents.

Shadow

That will help you internalize the str
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 313
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 07:00:49 pm »
Since, I am finding the 4 accents confusing, so is there a way that the app only beeps at the correct strumming time instead of equally spaced time which it currently does.

Do ---NOT--- do that. That will screw up everything.

You say there are 4 accents. You bar, well a bar of 4/4 should have one accent. Or perhaps A 2 m 4

Accent -- 2 -- mid -- 4 = 1 2 3 4

that beat 3 is often kinda strong but not a full on 1 accent. But your basic metro should be going ONE 2 3 4 or CLICK click click click.

If you used drums you could go...

Cym
BASS snare Bass snare

What you are doing is depending on the metronome to keep time for you but in reality you are responsible for playing any given groove or rhythm over that static time.

It is quite possible that many instruments would syncopate beats meaning they all play a different groove over a static beat. If you latch on to any one of them mentally you will no longer be playing your groove/rhythm.

EX: Let's assume 4/4 with simply CLICK click click click.

Now lets say a bongo player is playing 1 (& 2) & (3 & ) 4 & -- so he is playing only the non bracket beats. The 1, and of 2, 4 and.

Now let's say a guitar is strumming on 2, &4

Let's say keys were playing 1, 3&

So you have all those guys playing different stuff. Let's just assume it sounds really good. I just made that up. But do you see that if you latch on to any one of them you will simply play what they are playing?

What you want to KNOW is the CLICK click click click. Then you want to superimpose your rhythm on top.

Try this. Count 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & out loud. Tap you finger to each beat. 8 beats total. 1/8th notes.

Now keep counting but only tap on the &s. Be sure to say ONE the loudest accent. Be sure your finger only lands on the &s. That is now your rhythm & & & &. You should always know where the 1 is.

Now do the same thing and play & &3& &.  Now LISTEN to what that sounds like and FEELS like.

Bop BopBopBop Bop  --- (1)Bop(2)BopBopBop(4)Bop

Notice the steady clock never changes but once you learn the feel and sound of that pattern you can just keep playing it over the steady clock. When you get more comfortable you will even be able to accent different sections like maybe (1)Bop(2)BOPBopBop(4)Bop -- you see here the & of 2 is accented. Same pattern.

You have to start with the most simple stuff first

Quarters - 4 beats
Eights - 8 beats
Trips - 12 beats
Sixteents - 16 beats
Then start dropping beats out so you are playing grooves over the steady 4/4 metronome.

Don't alter your metronome because you will then try to simply emulate what you are hearing and not make your own rhythm. You always want to be able to find the steady meter of the song because others may play from it in such a manner that they pull you off your rhythm. But your job is to hold your rhythm no matter what. You do this by continually developing your internal clock and recognize rhythmic patterns.

Right now you are stumbling and thus can't HEAR the rhythm. Like riding a bike, you keep crashing before you can get the feel of what actually riding feels like.

You need to get through a pattern a couple times and FEEL / HEAR what it sounds like. If you can't get the whole pattern, get the first half and FEEL/HEAR what that sounds like. Then get the second half... combine. Sometimes you have to cut the metro off to get the pattern. Then cut it back on and align what you just did to the beats.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 06:27:55 am »
Yesterday I played along with BB King - Thrill is gone. First time I'd tried to play along with a recording. It's a relatively simple song and I found it very rewarding. After a few goes I could keep the same beat as the record. It also was clear what the beat was and I wasn't just trying to play to a beat in my head. It doesn't always work though: I then tried U2 and BB King - When love comes to town. Couldn't keep up with that at all. In all his songs, Justin recommends listening to the original recording. I find this helps a huge amount.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 313
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 07:21:10 am »
In that song the drums are playing a standard 4/4 and the snare is playing the "back beat" 2 and 4.

That was the day... "That" is on the ONE.

Yeeeah yrah yeaah yeah yeah

that first Yeeeah is on ONE

Maybe I was wrong ... Maybe =ONE

when LOVE comes to town ... LOVE = ONE.

Listen to the drums do the  dot dot dot dot Crash the Crash = ONE...

But I did what I did before LOVE(1) came to town.

It's a moderate tempo 4/4. Listen for the accents, they are on ONE
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 07:28:08 am »
Thanks TB. Think I'll add some notes to the page in Justin's book, and listen more to this track, which I like a lot

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 04:35:28 pm »
@Morbo,

To do something conceptually similar to what you are asking for, I did this:

1)  Took Guitar Pro (Justin had a discount code on his site I do not know if it is still valid) and set up a drum beat:  bass on beats 1 and 3; snare on beats 2 and 4; high hat on the eight note beats (1&2&3&4&); and a crash on beat 1.

2)  Added an A chord in the Old Faithful rhythm, 1 2& &4.

https://soundcloud.com/shadowscott007/old-faithful

60BPM, and apparently have lost my understanding of how to embed a soundcloud file...
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 313
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 05:02:47 pm »
OP I just realized something.... not sure if anyone mentioned...

old faithful strumming pattern (D DU  U D)

That should be

D - D U - U D -
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Sorry it doesn't align quite right but you had a space between your last U D ,,, it should be UD or &4
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline morbo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 09:06:42 pm »
@TB-AV yeah, my bad, thanks for correcting that
@shadowscott007 thanks for the rythm, i will try to solidfy my rythm with this

i guess, i just need to practice whole lot more before increasing the tempo

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 11:31:50 pm »
Morbo

Definitely worth getting Justin's RUST I & II DVDs, I found them very useful alongside the Rhythm lessons in the Beginners and Intermediate courses. The RUST II DVD covers a lot more patterns than those in the Intermedite course online and there are extra patterns in RUST I as well. Both will benefit your rhythm playing in the future.

Toby
 8)

http://www.thejustinguitarstore.com/collections/dvds/products/justinguitar-com-strumming-techniques-1-dvd?variant=7210649157

http://www.thejustinguitarstore.com/collections/dvds/products/justinguitar-com-strumming-techniques-2-dvd?variant=7210640069
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 08:54:18 am »
In addition to all the sound advice so far, make sure you can play D DuDuD (RUST #8) really well before attempting #9. I found saying it out loud helped, so 1 2 and 3 and 4,, and doing that for a long time, before attempting 1 2 and.... and 4.

Practice things separately - just the rhythm without chords or metronome before adding in one of those, then go back to the original, and add in the other.

Once you have it, find a chord progression you are super comfortable with - for me it was a 12 bar Blues with A7, D7 and E7, but whatever is comfortable for you.

Old Faithful really changes you as a guitarist, I find, so it is worth the effort of attempting the exercises you've been given in this thread.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive, Belcat Analog Delay, MXR Phase 90, Ditto X2 looper, MXR Dyna Comp, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs PP2

Get The Forum As A Mobile App