Author Topic: next guitar....  (Read 2092 times)

Offline jcb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
next guitar....
« on: March 31, 2016, 03:56:30 pm »
hello,
i took up guitar a few years ago living in india and have learned all my guitar through justin. all they had in the local music shop was an oscar scmidt / washburn dreadnought for about £90, so i bought that. I've used this guitar consistently, and like the sound it makes - had it tuned a few times / repaired a few times (i use it as a travel guitar so will keep it for that whatever i buy next).
then i bought a yamaha for when i stay with my girlfriend. i can't remember the exact model number but it was about £140, is dreadnought shape and has a spruce top. again it's fine.
i'm now progressing as a guitarist, and working on trying to get classic accoustic stuff such as blackbird / babe i'm gonna leave you / wish you were here / don't think twice / californication to sound not just recogniseable, but... passable.. I play pretty much exclusively fingerstyle - particularly as i don't have a big room to practice / like to have a noodle in the evening after work.
i'm considering getting a slightly nicer accoustic - i'd feel a fool spending two grand, but could do high hundreds of pounds / low thousands if really desireable (will i notice the difference?).
i'm well aware that a bad workman blames his tools and i've learned that there's not much in the guitar world for which the answer isn't practice more until you get it right.... so i don't need a crazy good guitar.
that said, i'm wondering about maybe a low-ish end martin?
i'm also considering going for a smaller shape - the dreadnoughts have wonderful deep sound, but i find them quite cumbersome (i play sitting on the sofa) and wouldn't mind at all if the sheer volume was sacrificed - as i say it's for use in my pretty small living room.
the other thing i'm considering is making hte next guitar an accoustic electric, so i can play around with settings on the yamaha thr-10 practice amp i have (to all you snobs & purists out there, it's great for dual use as a compact practice amp / music speaker for listening to music on!).
any thoughts & pointers gratefully received! equally happy to be told that really i'll not notice a difference till i'm way better.
Jus
ps, anybody able to point me to a site / discussion that runs through stuff like what guitar brands are known for. are martins robust & reliable?

Offline jcb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: next guitar....
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:39:43 am »
yes so my other accoustic is a yamaha f310. i do like the deep warm tone. so, any thoughts on next leg up with a budget towards £1000/$1500? (just possibly more, but again - i'm clearly going to be buying something way ahead of me, so don't need to go mad).
mainly for fingerstyle use at home.
thanks!

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:06:20 am »
I completely understand your desire to get a new and more expensive guitar 8). I upgraded myself also from a dreadnaught size (Cort) but to an OM size which is slightly smaller but still has a great sound. However, it does not have a pickup installed but I always thought it better to get more guitar for the money and later on install a nice pickup if needed. My guitar is a Sigma SOMR28H and fits your budget really well at least around my part of the world.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline jcb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:45:17 am »
ooooh that looks nice thank you!  ::) would you characterise the sigma sound quality in any particular way?
totally dispalying my ignorance here - is retrofitting pick-ups into an accoustic an easy thing to do? will it damage the accoustic in any way, or compromise its sound quality?

i'm wondering about the Martin 000-15, but i have to say that sigma looks mighty fine!

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:56:58 am »
It's pretty easy to install a pickup on an acoustic guitar. There are many options available, try searching for "soundhole pickup" on thomann.uk to get an idea about models and price ranges.

I installed a Seymour Duncan SA-6 Mag Mic in my acoustic.

It doesn't damage the guitar around the soundhole area.

You can usually decide for yourself between two types of installation - temporary, or "permanent". Temporary means that you'll have a cable coming out of your soundhole when the pickup is installed. The benefit is that you can simply take out the pickup when you don't need it.

Permanent means that you drill a hole at the bottom of the guitar and replace the strap pin already there with the one from the kit (which functions as the jack input, like on all acoustic-electrics). Drilling that hole requires a bit of care so you don't damage the finish on the guitar, but it's not hard to do ;)

There are also kits that allows you to intall piezo pickups and/or pre-amps with volume/tone controls on the guitar... but those can require that you actually saw out a hole in the side of the guitar. I stayed well away from that idea myself ;)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:59:00 am »
Well, originally Sigma was a "budget" brand under Martin, but they later sold the brand to their German distributor with the right to copy the Martin design. They have them build in China, but I find nothing to fault on the build quality and having worked for a German company in the past I am sure the production is overseen by the German brand owners.
In the process of buying this guitar I compared it to both Martin, Furch, Yamaha and Taylor but both the Marting and the Sigma sound was appealing the most to me and are quite similar so the price difference (which is huge) made it no contest. I couldn't care less about the name on the headstock, I only want a guitar that sounds great and is great to play.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.

Offline jcb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 11:44:42 am »
thanks very much for the great replies - both!

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 12:42:29 pm »
i'm wondering about the Martin 000-15, but i have to say that sigma looks mighty fine!

I looked at a 00015 but wasn't prepared to spend that much. Sigma was started by Martin, and they essentially copied their own most popular guitars and made them in Asia. They sold the brand but the guitars are still Martin designs. "Genuine" copies if you like...

Sigma make a lefty 00015 and I tried them back to back. The Martin is built nicer and may last longer, more resistant to knocks and dings etc, but the difference between them in feel and sound, to me, was zero. The difference in cost was enormous. The Sigma cost quarter of the Martin. Easy decision for me over 2 years ago, and I still love this Sigma.

And...like anything, beyond a certain price point, diminishing returns kicks in, and brand premium becomes a factor in the product. A truly excellent guitar can be had for $2000, regardless whether it's US, A Yamaha or a high quality Chinese. Beyond that, people are paying for bling, names, exclusivity, warm fuzzy feelings and bragging rights. IMO.

Offline jcb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 01:00:30 pm »
thanks drubbing - no way i'd be looking to spend upwards of $2k on a guitar. i will see where i can go try the sigma though.... it sounds like it's very much the 'head' (as opposed to 'heart') option.

i'm guessing denmark st in london is a good place to go try these things!

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 01:11:56 pm »
Not suggesting you spend 2K, that was just an arbitrary number where you'll get something wth an excellent name and build quality. But not all may be to your taste. Maton's look and feel great and are Justin's favourite, but every one I've picked has been instantly forgettable.

But plenty of great guitars available around $500. Yamaha and Sigma are but two names.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 02:58:51 pm »
Yes, go play a bunch and make up your own mind.
Regarding Denmark Street, it is most likely to have all sorts of brands but I imagine that it is a quite expensive area to lay your money. I cannot know this for certain as I've never been to those shops but do look around to compare prices.
/Jesper

Offline jcb

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 03:04:45 pm »
thanks joerfe.
i guess i can keep an eye on the likes of andertons for what should be reference prices.
do people generally pay list price for a well known brandname guitar, or can you get good discounts from time to time? Is there a good time of year for guitar discounts / sales?
thanks!

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 05:49:55 pm »
That differs from country to country, I guess.
I think that typically the price is set but you should be able to get new strings, a setup (required!!!), maybe a strap and stuff like that.
/Jesper

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 07:41:10 am »
Some stores have good discounts. Haworth guitars in Australia have 30% off all fender guitars in April.
I get most of mine from them and they are very good. They also provide a free set up.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 06:38:07 am »
Doh. Paid full price for my EC sig strat. I had to grovel to get a 40 dollar lead from the shop. I don't know what their mark up is but I guess they must have made close on 1000 NZ bucks profit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App