Author Topic: Milifax - Progress of me  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Milifax

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
Milifax - Progress of me
« on: May 19, 2021, 12:18:28 pm »
Hi all,

Milifax here. Picked up a guitar, because my daughter wanted to start playing (teached by a teacher, me by Justin). So I ordered a guitar for her and an extra for me as well just to see if I like it playing. I loved Guitar Hero in the past and the feeling of automatically placing my fingers, so yeah. In my younger days I played the piano for 8 years. Not really successful although basics are in.

I'm now at week 6 and at Module 5 of the course on the website.

Had a bit of a struggle switching from my initial (kind of crappy) classical guitar on which I started the first 4 weeks towards the western OM I now have. Tried a Dreadnought for a week, but that wasn't for me at this moment (who knows in a later stage).

At the moment I'm struggling with the Dm cord (pinky) and the C cord. The C feels very nice, needs practice. Also I started playing not only with the app but from paper with a metronome.

Would like to share my first recording with you of I Walk the Line by Cash. [Had to see the movie last weekend, makes more sense now].
I play it along with the app on my headphones. Please comment and advise is welcome.

(Hope to keep you updated in this thread on my progress and looking forward to your feedback. Knowing myself I need to remind myself to do this update once in a while.)

Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:21:24 pm by Milifax »

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 142
Re: Milifax - Progress of me
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 12:51:16 pm »
Welcome aboard Milifax,

This could have been posted by me 3 years ago. My son wanted to learn guitar and we hired a teacher. I thought I'd learn by myself on the internet and found Justinguitar  :)
Six weeks later, I also shared my first video here on the forum.
Unfortunately, that's where the similarities end. It was still simple quarter note downstrums on A D E and not nearly as fluent.
Your chord changes are clean.
Your rhythm is steady.
Your hand keeps moving to the beat when not hitting the strings.
You are flying!  8)

The only criticism you'll get from me is not to cross your legs. We're supposed to tap our feet.
(Given that half my practice takes place lying on the couch, I'm in no position to throw stones.)

You'll get more views, comments and feedback if you post over in the AVOYP section, where most members share their playing.

Good vibes for sharing and I look forward to following your progress  :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 675
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 01:35:15 pm »
Hi Milifax and welcome to the forum.

Good vibes for learning with your son, making great strides with Justin, recording your progress video and coming over here to share it.

You're doing fine for just a few weeks.
My one bit of umbrella advice is not to rush.
5 modules in 6 weeks is pretty darn quick and you do need to make sure to consolidate, practice, apply alll the learning from each module as you go.
Specific to your video ... you are playing fast strumming and doing well with Downs and Ups. At the end of many bars there is a loud upstrum on open strings as you lift off to change chord. Whilst this can be okay, if too loud and too often it can sound jarring compared to the actual chords. So, practice, at slow speed, either changing chord more quickly between the up at the end of one bar and down at the end of the next, or, introduce dynamics so those upstrums are not so hard and loud, or, alter your strumming pattern to not have as many ups at the end of bars.

Good stuff. Keep on with the program.
:)

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 142
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 01:53:03 pm »
Good vibes for...
Hey, Richard, give the man his vibes  :P

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 675
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 01:55:09 pm »
Hey, Richard, give the man his vibes  :P

Ooh - yeah - my bad. I've trebled the vibes for good measure. :)

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 04:41:09 pm »
Warm welcome to the JG Forum, milifax aka Freaky Fred.

Making good progress with your learning and excellent move to join the Forum and post your progress here.

I've nothin to add on your playing over and above what Richard and Brian already shared.

Keep doing what you're doing and look forward to following along with you.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Milifax

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 07:19:57 pm »
Thank you all and thanks for the advice.
Looking at my practice strum patterns I notice all of them have an up on the last beat. Funny.

Will try with more different patterns to feel the difference.

And working away the bad habit of crossing my legs and step on the beat.

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 01:00:53 am »
Hi Milifax and welcome to the community, hope you stick around and enjoy the ride. You have some good strumming there after hust a few weeks so I see a lot of potential. Listen to wise men above and you will get a lot more in the next few weeks out of your play. All the best!

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 01:48:51 am »
Welcome to the forum Milifax  :)

I can't add to the suggestions made before me, but I certainly can encourage you and celebrate your progress.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 12:05:51 pm »
Welcome aboard Milifax and vibes from me too for your first video. Enjoy the journey!
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Milifax

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 04:20:18 pm »
Thank you all. Nice to get your feedback.

Now that I'm on my way, let's do another video. Discovered this song Sweet Ophelia today on the app. Love the cord changes on it.
This must be the fifth or sixth time I go through the song I think. Needs lot of attention and love to get it better. [And need to look into the strumming pattern I guess]
I'm surprised on the Am-cord when looking back on it. That doesn't go as well as I think when I play.

Oh, and my leg is down. Full of energy it looks  ;D

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:25:50 pm by Milifax »

Offline Milifax

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 12:19:36 pm »
Time for me to upload some songs again.
Made it to the end of Grade 1 and now it's time to consolidate as Justin says.

Working on some songs to memorize, though still playing a lot along with the app. I need to try to play with metronome and from paper (and finally out of my head).
Memorizing is the most difficult phase for me I guess, as I cannot remember any songtexts and always making up my own lyrics when singing along with the radio (alone in the car). Work to be done.

Below two songs I recorded today. Not the best session, the first session is always the best and this was not it. Maybe the blinking recording light takes me off of it as well a bit, I don't know.
However. the thing I notice is my fingers are not as close to the frets as I imagine. Will focus on that.

Changed my strings towards .010 recently to feel the difference. The guitar had still the 'factory'  strings. Not bad, but they needed a lot of pressure. Wanted to see if new strings made a difference. Although these very light strings play very easy, the buzzing increased a lot. Not sure if I like the sound that much.
Next change will be toward 0.011 I guess.

If you have any tips on consolidating, songs I can add to memorize or such, I'm looking forward to your comments.

Working on songs:
  • Mad World - Gary Jules
  • Vincent - Don McLean (Not sure if I can memorize this one easily)
  • Sweet Ophelia - Zella Day
  • What's Up - 4 Non Blondes (Capo Beginner Version)
  • A Team - Ed Sheeran

For now, Mad World (practicing it some weeks):

And A Team from Ed Sheeran at 140bpm instead of 160 with a mess on the bridge part (discovered recently it is in range chord-wise, don't speak about Sheeran-strumming. Will do in the future;))

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 03:06:49 pm »
Songs, songs and more songs. I seem to have heard advice from one or two on doing that. Good to see and hear your journey. You're doing great.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 03:51:48 pm »
You are doing well, Milifax, keep doing what you are doing.

On memorising, I have noticed that just recently I have been able to memorise songs more easily. Not sure what made the difference. Can say that I have been at it about 4.5 years now, maybe I am finally reaching a point in my playing that I am not thinking as much about the playing and have mental capacity to devote to remembering chords and lyrics.

Looking at your left leg, in particular in Sweet Ophelia, I see what you mean when you said "full of energy". Hard for me to tell in these videos if your foot/leg is moving in time to the beat, following the 1 & 2 & ... count. Perhaps something to focus on and make sure the leg moves with the beat, irrespective of what your left and right hands are doing.

As for songs, maybe try Knocking on Heaven's Door and Bad Moon Rising.

Well done on progress made!
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 04:44:42 pm »
Depending on how large a change in string gauge, you may need to adjust the truss rod.

Heavier strings pull the neck up causing more relief and higher action, lighter strings pull up less, leading to less relief and back bow. That can lower the action too much and lead to buzzing.

A simple truss adjustment (loosening it a tad) may make it just fine.

Google it, or look here:

https://guitargearfinder.com/guides/guitar-truss-rods/

And here:

https://guitargearfinder.com/guides/guitar-action/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Milifax

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 02:48:39 pm »
Thanks all for the feedback and thinking along. Appreciate it.

@DavidP
I try to be not so tough on myself for not memorizing songs atm. It will come in time I think. Mad World is almost in memory and I now know it will eventually work out.

@Jamolay
I know about truss adjustment and the shape of the neck regarding the buzz. However as I'm trying out different strings I do not want to adjust it every time, with the possibility to damage my guitar.
Also it feels like the tension in the strings is just a bit lower as with the thicker strings, what makes me think it is just these super thin strings. Will go one step thicker on my next change and see how that feels for me.

As for progress:
I'm at the end of my consolidation time from Grade 1. Next is holiday, which probably means no guitar for 3 weeks as it just doesn't fit in the car I'm afraid.
I posted 2 songs in the Audio and Video topic for feedback. Link below and I will include these video's below as well to have my progress together.

I'm practicing all chord changes Justin advises. Doing them in one-minute change and in air change as well. The feeling, and less thinking, get better and better.

I also started the theory course. I recognize a lot from my piano playing adventure in my younger years. It definitely helps understanding. Nice to see guitar is so much more different and in an way more flexible as a piano.

Got the Justin Guitar songbook no. 2 as well, to push me to practice with metronome and from paper instead of from the app.

A lot going on, and the feeling gets better and better as I play from week to week.
Looking forward to Grade 2, although I know this period of laying the foundation is very useful as well.

For track-record, here is the link to my Audio Video of Me songs, with the direct youtube link as well:
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=49664.0

Shot-gun - George Ezra:

Viva la Vida - Coldplay:

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 675
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 08:28:22 am »
The two videos really highlight some great progress. Bravo. Your strumming and chord changes are consistent, steady and smooth, all played clean and in time. So much good going on with the mechanics of it all. One thing - you are playing a version of G that in the long run is going to hamper you so please make a conscious effort to unlearn that fingering and learn all the other G major chord fingerings Justin teaches, stuck 3&4 plus G-chord hacked. Basically what your 1st and 2nd fingers are doing you swap for 3rd and 4th fingers. It will make changing to C and other chords much more efficient and allow other things later on. Keep up the good work. Enjoy your hols too. :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App