Author Topic: Practice for finger playing  (Read 1210 times)

Offline DieHard

• Good Vibes 0
Practice for finger playing
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:49:35 pm »
I have a slight problem - I had a head injury and it's a little hard for getting my finger's to work right when playing.  Can anyone give some tips or a site that would assist with playing?

Offline stringbreaker

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Practice for finger playing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 01:57:45 am »
Get a cheap 5-string banjo, well not too cheap, it has to be good enough to stay in tune. Learn to play some bluegrass songs (aka Earl Scruggs style banjo). That should help your finger picking. Good Luck!

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:38:17 am »
I had to think about that long and hard. I mean that has to be huge to not have the dexterity that allows one to make chords as easily. Granted, we all felt that way, but I'd imagine that the diminished dexterity that can be cause by a brain injury could make certain things more difficult.

I honestly think that working through the Beginner's Course here is probably best. The reason is that it gets you used to certain sounds. Maybe you have to rearrange a chord here or there to get it sounding right for your particular situation, but it's a solid course. I can't think of anything in it that any person would want to leave out if they wanted a well rounded foundation.

Maybe there are some things you just can't do. If you are having trouble with anything, feel free to post up. I'm sure someone here can help you.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:10:11 am »
I suppose that OP has a problem with the fingers because of issues with the neural patways.
If this is the case I would partly second stringbreakers post but you could also look into justins folk course which has great exercises for the picking hand.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline stringbreaker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 04:53:35 pm »
Stringbreaker again, allow me to elaborate, when playing bluegrass banjo there are two basic 'rolls' used for the picking hand, the 'forward roll' and the 'alternating roll'. A lot of what (bluegrass) banjo players do with their picking hand is based on those two rolls. Once you've practiced them enough, muscle memory takes over and then its off to the races! That was my experience anyway. Back in the days of yore when I thought I wanted to be a bluegrass musician, my friends gave me mountains of crap for playing 'hillbilly music', those same friends are jealous of my finger picking abilities now. Also, a good friend of mine suffered a severe head injury (deep brain bruise to the corpus collasum , I don't know if I spelled that last word correctly).  It's the part of the brain that coordinates activity between the hemispheres. His doctors went to great lengths explaining to the family (after it became apparent he was going to survive) the importance of repetitive activity. As the brain heals, it makes new connections. Thats when repetitive motion and muscle memory come to the foreground, besides, Justin plays more than one instrument.  Oh, my friend made a great recovery, by the way.

Offline stringbreaker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:32:14 am »
Stringbreaker again, again (Ya I know redundancy is redundant) please let me clarify a few things about my previous  statement. First off, I'm not advocating the average guitar student learn 5-string banjo. In fact it might be confusing, too much stuff coming too fast. If someone is interested in learning 5-string (or any other instrument) they will get around to it in their own time. Secondly, and I cannot emphasize this enough, DO NOT STRAY from Justin's guitar course. This stuff is gold. The only limitations this course has lay with the student. How far do you want to take it? Only you can impose limits on that. The recommendation I made concerned one student in a unique situation, (a situation I 'v witnessed first hand) and should not be considered a 'one size fits all' approach. Sorry I yelled earlier, I would have yelled louder but there wasn't a rooftop to stand on.
Thank for your patience.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App