Author Topic: What acoustic to buy  (Read 5531 times)

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: What acoustic to buy
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 10:17:25 am »
I've decided on a Seagull Entourage for my acoustic
Seems to have a really nice tonal range

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 10:27:55 am »
I've decided on a Seagull Entourage for my acoustic
Seems to have a really nice tonal range

Good choice. I own an Entourage myself. Very nice guitar to play.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 02:47:30 pm »
Whenever I attend a concert and I get a chance to talk to the guitar players, I always ask them which brand and model of guitar, they were playing. The guitar that sounded best to me and that also seemed popular was the Martin D-18. In the shop, I really liked the look and feel of this guitar and the sound!!! So this has become my dream guitar (my next purchase).

However, I decided this guitar was priced above my current budget and my present skill level. So the deal I have made with myself is that when I have improved my skills and when I have saved the money, I'm going to buy my Martin D-18 Dreadnought at the Crossroads.

Until that that time, I have not been disappointed with my current lower-priced guitar, which is an Alvarez (Artist 60 series) AD 60 SB (Sunburst) Dreadnought! Here is why:

The Alvarez AD 60s were inspired by the Martin D-18 and share similar features, construction but with lower quality woods (like the A+ Sitka spruce).

Martin D-18: Solid Sitka Spruce, Solid Mohogany, Nut 1 3/4 in/44.5 cm, and Scale 645 cm
Alvarez AD-60: Solid Sitka Spruce, Mohogany, Nut 1 3/4 in/44.5 cm, and Scale 25 1/2 in/648 cm

Both guitars share a similar construction in the bracing system, forward shifted, scalloped X. The Alvarez replaces the ebony fingerboard with rosewood. I still get the real bone nut and saddle. Of course, the tuner pegs are cheaper on the Alvarez, premium die cast, rather than nickel. Guitar strings touch only the tuner pegs, nut and saddle and so the better those materials are, the better sounding your guitar (assuming a similar constructed guitar body)! And when I strum the Alvarez, the sound can ring out for a long time, which is another mark of a well-constructed guitar.

So I paid $350 US dollars (318 EU/about 245 British pounds) for a lower-end guitar that feels and sounds closer to my higher end (today's list price and exchange: $3100 USD, 2820 EU, 3175 British pounds), dream guitar. And for now, I love my Alvarez AD 60 and would recommend you try it out and compare it with whatever you're looking at in the US$300 to $400 price range.

If you're just under or around 6 feet tall/182-3 cm give the dreadnought a serious look.

I would also recommend the AD60.  I have an Alvarez AD60 and love it.  I was turned on to Alvarez by my son when I bought my first acoustic.  He had done a lot of research when looking for an acoustic and then after trying many guitars came to the conclusion Alvarez was the best bang for the buck guitar for him.  After playing his I was hooked and bought mine.

I too have a bit of GAS and plan on having a solid wood acoustic at some time.  An Alvarez Masterworks will be the first one I test and compare with Martin.  With a budget in the $1000-$1500 range I wouldn't be surprised if the Alvarez wins out again.  That budget number isn't set in stone though, If my case of GAS gets bad I could talk myself into increasing it slightly  ;D

I've posted many songs here in the AVOYP forum and have received many compliments on the tone of my Alvarez AD60.  You could click on the soundcloud link in my signature if you want to hear it. 

In the end, as others have stated, you should go try out many guitars and find what fits size wise and gives the best sound to your ear.
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 03:13:03 pm »
I too have a bit of GAS and plan on having a solid wood acoustic at some time.  An Alvarez Masterworks will be the first one I test and compare with Martin.  With a budget in the $1000-$1500 range I wouldn't be surprised if the Alvarez wins out again. 

Try second hand if you can find it. I got my MD60 for $300 second hand. It's not in perfect shape, (blemish on the front) but boy does it sound nice. It is from the '90s, so it has a cedar top on it as opposed to the spruce on them now. I heard it and just knew that was the one.

Have you tried the Alvarez Yairi? Those things are beautiful instruments.
I've been drooling over this one for a while now....just looking for a good deal in the second hand market.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ALV-WY1

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
Wow, what a great deal on the MD60.  Haven't even played a Masterworks yet, no dealers are close by.  When I visit my son next time I'll see if there's a dealer near him as he lives near Des Moines, Ia. 

I've just started to look more seriously into upgrading and would probably buy if the right guitar came along.  Have been looking at craigslist on occasion, are there other options?  I'd be comfortable going a $1000.   $1500 would make me think but pretty sure I'd talk myself into it ;)  But then a steal on a used model would really make me smile :)

That Yairi sunburst looks amazing.  If I find a dealer I'd love to give it a test.
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Get The Forum As A Mobile App