Author Topic: What acoustic to buy  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Darren48

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • I CONTINUE THE WALK OF LIFE
What acoustic to buy
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:01:39 pm »
Hi all first of all I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice and encouragement on my other post problems strumming
I got the rust dvd and song book and I'm starting to make a breakthrough well worth the money so much so that I want to get a better acoustic I only got a cheap one to start to see if I could take to it my question is does anyone recommend anything at a resonable price

Thanks
Darren

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
Re: What acoustic to buy
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:47:11 pm »
What do you have for a budget?   A reasonable price is $200 for some and $2000 for others.
The bast thing to do is set a budget go to a music store and play everything within you prices range.

If this is going to be your only acoustic them don't buy a 3/4 or travel guitar. You will regret it in the long
run. You want a 25.5 or 24.75 scale guitar.
There are 10 or 20 different body style so you don't have to buy a Dreadnought if you find them to big.
If you have a dollar figure you are looking to spend we'll can give you some ideas.

Offline Darren48

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • I CONTINUE THE WALK OF LIFE
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 06:59:47 pm »
Hi stitch I was thinking in the range of between 180-250 uk sterling
Darren

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:05:07 pm »
That's about $400. In this range the Seagull S6 or Yamaha has a few guitars in that price that are
very good value for the money.
Epiphone has some nice guitar in that range as well.
Not sure what other brands you can get in the UK

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 09:20:45 pm »
Darren.

Look at Yamaha, an FG720 comes in at about 250. That's a dreadnought body. The FS720 is the same price, but has a smaller 'folk' style body.

If you can go another 50 quid, there's the FG730.

Or maybe consider secondhand?

In either case, you must try before you buy. I don't whereabouts you are, but Guitar Guitar or PMT usually have a good choice. PMT's Birmingham store has an especially wide selection of acoustics, I dunno about their other branches.

Good luck with your playing :)

That's about $400. In this range the Seagull S6 or Yamaha has a few guitars in that price that are
very good value for the money.

A Seagull S6 is a tad under £400 in the UK. Without getting too political or ranty, you can take the dollar price of a US item and that'll be about the price in pounds here. ;)

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14021717371132
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 11:24:37 pm »
The one you can afford that feels the best in your hands.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline jschultz900

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 10:37:54 am »
I bought a Breedlove Parlour guitar all mahogany. I find that the parlour is smaller and not as wide for me. More comfortable. But I paid $500.00. Well worth it. Will not need another guitar ever.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:05:33 am »
Will not need another guitar ever.

This young padawan still has much to learn :o ;D ;D ;D
Believe me, at a certain point GAS will get you.... again.... and again....
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 01:30:53 pm »

Oh yes............when you've got that itch it has to be scratched. Not that I know about it but No.6 will be unwrapped on the 30th...............along with my 3rd amp  ;D
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Blind Boy Roy

• Good Vibes 0
  • Playing guitar to make a difference
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 05:02:43 pm »
Whenever I attend a concert and I get a chance to talk to the guitar players, I always ask them which brand and model of guitar, they were playing. The guitar that sounded best to me and that also seemed popular was the Martin D-18. In the shop, I really liked the look and feel of this guitar and the sound!!! So this has become my dream guitar (my next purchase).

However, I decided this guitar was priced above my current budget and my present skill level. So the deal I have made with myself is that when I have improved my skills and when I have saved the money, I'm going to buy my Martin D-18 Dreadnought at the Crossroads.

Until that that time, I have not been disappointed with my current lower-priced guitar, which is an Alvarez (Artist 60 series) AD 60 SB (Sunburst) Dreadnought! Here is why:

The Alvarez AD 60s were inspired by the Martin D-18 and share similar features, construction but with lower quality woods (like the A+ Sitka spruce).

Martin D-18: Solid Sitka Spruce, Solid Mohogany, Nut 1 3/4 in/44.5 cm, and Scale 645 cm
Alvarez AD-60: Solid Sitka Spruce, Mohogany, Nut 1 3/4 in/44.5 cm, and Scale 25 1/2 in/648 cm

Both guitars share a similar construction in the bracing system, forward shifted, scalloped X. The Alvarez replaces the ebony fingerboard with rosewood. I still get the real bone nut and saddle. Of course, the tuner pegs are cheaper on the Alvarez, premium die cast, rather than nickel. Guitar strings touch only the tuner pegs, nut and saddle and so the better those materials are, the better sounding your guitar (assuming a similar constructed guitar body)! And when I strum the Alvarez, the sound can ring out for a long time, which is another mark of a well-constructed guitar.

So I paid $350 US dollars (318 EU/about 245 British pounds) for a lower-end guitar that feels and sounds closer to my higher end (today's list price and exchange: $3100 USD, 2820 EU, 3175 British pounds), dream guitar. And for now, I love my Alvarez AD 60 and would recommend you try it out and compare it with whatever you're looking at in the US$300 to $400 price range.

If you're just under or around 6 feet tall/182-3 cm give the dreadnought a serious look.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:09:33 pm by Blind Boy Roy »

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 06:37:28 pm »

If you're just under or around 6 feet tall/182-3 cm give the dreadnought a serious look.

I'm 185 cm and never bonded with the size of a dread. I found myself an OM instead which fits so much better. There are no set rules, go try out different sizes.

/Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 07:23:35 pm »
Until that that time, I have not been disappointed with my current lower-priced guitar, which is an Alvarez (Artist 60 series) AD 60 SB (Sunburst) Dreadnought! Here is why:

I own a Masterworks Alvarez, and really didn't think I would like the Artists Series that much, but the few I have played with at a local shop have been great. I was really surprised by how good they sounded.

Since it is a US brand, they may be a bit harder to find overseas, but if you can find them, Alvarez really does put out a great guitar for the money.

Also, since they are not as widely known as a lot of other guitars, the secondhand market on them has some fantastic deals.

Offline Blind Boy Roy

• Good Vibes 0
  • Playing guitar to make a difference
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 08:58:24 pm »
Definitely, I agree with Jesper about his preferred fit (and most likely the sound preferences he made for himself)!!! Our choices are so relative based on our own needs.

Your choice of size should revolve around several factors: 1) the standard guitar body sizes, 2) the scale (which is calculated from the width of nut and length) and number of frets in the neck protruding from the body of guitar 3) your own body size and fingers, 4) your own preference of fit (body of guitar, length, fingering, and frets) 5) the desired sound preference of the guitar per taste, and 6) what you play (rhythm) and the way you play it (regular or cutaway style body).

When I chose the dreadnoughts Alvarez AD60 and Martin D-18 (above), I was looking for a very similar fit for my body, as well as something close in comparison for the fingering, length (notice how close the scale of both guitars are) and number of frets (14 for me). I was also looking for a rhythm guitar choice that had a nice bass sound and volume that the dreadnought can have at that scale but the nice treble that a mahogany wood provides. Other guitar sizes, scales and woods have different sounds, which can be great!

In the perfect, world, I wish I had enough money to buy several different sizes that I could vary per style, song and desired sound!

So really there is no one size fits all starter guitar.

Offline sacrelicious

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 04:48:02 pm »
before I got my Jasmine (which I love), I was strongly considering a Gretsch Jim Dandy. seemed small and inexpensive, and I like the brand.

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 11:03:19 pm »
Never a truer word......

Get The Forum As A Mobile App