Author Topic: BL-403 • Bending Technique In Blues  (Read 11826 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 323
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: BL-403 • Bending Technique In Blues
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 04:57:33 pm »
Anyone?????
Wish I could help, but above my current play-grade ...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 05:46:22 pm »
Right, maybe I can help!
You get that comical sound by not muting the string once you get the bend up to pitch - you need to control how fast you get up to the desired pitch and then be aware of how it should sound at pitch, then once you get to pitch immediately mute the string using the fleshy part of your picking hand thumb - it must be muted before you start to let the bend down!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline truman48

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 12:26:54 pm »
Right, maybe I can help!
You get that comical sound by not muting the string once you get the bend up to pitch - you need to control how fast you get up to the desired pitch and then be aware of how it should sound at pitch, then once you get to pitch immediately mute the string using the fleshy part of your picking hand thumb - it must be muted before you start to let the bend down!

Hey DarrellW I didn't know anyone had replied to this but thanks heaps for your advice. I gave it a try and Im much better at it now even after just five minutes. I was muting wiht my palm but using the thumb is much better and seems to be quicker.  Thanks again.

Offline WhereTheStreetsHaveNoName

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 10:04:57 am »
Dear Folks,

New to bending.
I am finding much more comfortable to bend using 2nd finger, however Justin advices 3rd finger.

Is there a reason for using 3rd finger - reason which i'd find only much later (with later videos), or using 2nd finger is just fine - though would have to move 2nd finger to 7th fret in minor pentatonic scale (and it is unadvisable)?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 213
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 02:30:43 pm »

though would have to move 2nd finger to 7th fret in minor pentatonic scale (and it is unadvisable)?

You answered your own question and it's not just the minor pentatonic scale. The
Major pentatonic uses the same shapes then there's modes and 3nps.
All of these scales have notes two and three frets apart. Using your second finger
will slow and require to much movment of the hand.

Also when bending you use wrist and hand not just your finger.

Offline WhereTheStreetsHaveNoName

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2020, 05:31:42 am »
Thanks Stitch for the reply

I feel i am using more of my finger and not wrist.
It doesn't hurt, just that bigger bent is not happening.

Will continue to practice via 3rd finger using wrist.

Offline LeftyDave

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2020, 09:55:55 pm »
Hey yall,

Been working on the blues bending (worked on the IF bending a bit prior) for about a week or so now and everything sounds great except for the high e tone bend.

For some reason I just can't get this bend to go a full tone. My bends for the B and G string are fine and dandy and I have no real problems with them and my technique looks good (to me :/), but the high e feels stiff to me. Do you guys find the high e tone bend to be notably more difficult then the other 2 or do you think something is wrong with the guitar itself? I never like to blame the instrument as an excuse for my lack of technique, but it does seem weird that this string feels "tighter" then the rest in that horizontal motion.

Again, tech. looks good to me on the string, no pushing on the frets, no string breaking, no finger pushing, etc, but I dont know 100% if thats true.

Thanks

Offline adi_mrok

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2020, 10:09:36 pm »
Hi I had exactly the same issue at the start, I'm guessing its to do with thinnest string giving biggest beating and being the sharpest to your fingertips.

For me it just took some more time to get it nailed and after about 2 months of training each day for initially 5 mins and increasing it to 10-15 mins I am even getting 3 tone bends every now and then. Just keep on going and you will nail it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline LeftyDave

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2020, 10:20:40 pm »
Thanks! I've been putting in like 15-25 min sessions the last 3 days and my fingertips are cursing at me for it, so hearing it just may take some time sounds reassuring. I'll try and slow down and give bigger breaks too, like how you said the 5 mins then going up. Thanks again for the info!

Offline adi_mrok

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2020, 10:47:28 pm »
Yeah take it easy, it will come in time, good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App