Author Topic: BL-403 • Bending Technique In Blues  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Fox Terrier

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: BL-403 • Bending Technique In Blues
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 07:27:41 am »
I found that actually playing a song with string bends worked for me. Start with an easy part - I started with the two intro licks on Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'. One string bend on each.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline philipekken

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 09:10:44 pm »
Hello there,

i`m following the the Blues lead guitar course and i struggle with bending the high e string as shown in one of justin`s licks for pattern 1. Bending the e string a whole tone is quite hard to do and...this is the actual problem...the string breaks after a fewhours playing. I had to replace the string already twice in a few days.

I`m using new 0.10 Earny Balls strings on a quite new Squier Tele Classic vibe. I checked frets and bridge for any damage but looks fine. It breaks exactly at the point of the highest tension. Am i doing something wrong or is this a common issue on a Telecaster (that has a relative short neck)?

thanks in advance for any help
Phil

Offline philipekken

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 03:47:38 pm »
i think i found the mistake...it was kind of wrong technique. I was supporting the bend with my 2nd and 3rd finger however i was pressing the second finger directly on the fret, means the string had maximum friction and broke after a while playing. Now, putting the fingers between the frets makes it easier to bend and i guess the string will last longer...

Offline janekbaginski

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 07:01:44 pm »
Hi! I would like to ask about diagram Justin mentioned in the video. I can't find them on a website. Please someone possibly could give a link?

Thanks in advance.

Jan
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:21:19 pm by janekbaginski »

Offline jelseg

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 10:59:06 am »
hi,

I have a similar problem as philipekken: I can't bend the high e string a whole tone (no problems with the other strings). When I almost reach a full tone the string breaks.

Offline Maengl04

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 10:46:03 am »
Hi,
When I’m string bending, I keep getting an unwanted sound from the above strings. But its not because of my picking hand. It’s because of my feet hand. Are there any tips I can try? Thanks

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 11:02:08 am »
You need to mute the other strings possibly with a combination of your fretting and picking hands, it’s a common problem when you start but practice cures it.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Matek

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 08:30:19 am »
Hi,
When I’m string bending, I keep getting an unwanted sound from the above strings. But its not because of my picking hand. It’s because of my feet hand. Are there any tips I can try? Thanks
In the video he shows how to use a palm mute to quiet the strings after bending. For me it works at a slow tempo but can't get it to work when I speed up

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline truman48

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 12:44:49 pm »
Hey guys, Im struggling with lick no#3 pattern 1 of the lesson "5 Blues licks from pattern 1". When I try and bend the 2nd string on the 8th fret it sounds like a Cat dying. I think its the same thing Justin called seagulls in his video but I cant seem to bend without them.

Any pointers??

Offline truman48

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 11:49:59 am »
Anyone?????

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 04:57:33 pm »
Anyone?????
Wish I could help, but above my current play-grade ...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 05:46:22 pm »
Right, maybe I can help!
You get that comical sound by not muting the string once you get the bend up to pitch - you need to control how fast you get up to the desired pitch and then be aware of how it should sound at pitch, then once you get to pitch immediately mute the string using the fleshy part of your picking hand thumb - it must be muted before you start to let the bend down!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Get The Forum As A Mobile App