Author Topic: BL-403 • Bending Technique In Blues  (Read 5979 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
BL-403 • Bending Technique In Blues
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:38:01 am »

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
Re: BL-403 • Bending Technique In Blues
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »
Two questions:

1. I have practiced the exercise off and on for a few months and noticed that I'm much better (or at least much more confident) about bending in tune if I have a moderate amount of distortion/gain dialed into my tone. At first I thought it was cheating or fooling my ear to practice it this way, so I purposely went back to a clean, dry tone and struggled again. Lately, I've had second thoughts. I read somewhere that the gain helps with the sustain of the notes. Anyone have thoughts on the correct tone to practice this with?

2. How are we supposed to use our first finger during the bend with our third finger? Sometimes, Justin suggests using all three fingers to support the bend and other times he suggests using the first finger to mute the string physically above the string we're bending on. Or maybe it's a case of when you're first starting out you should use all three fingers and then as you get more advanced only bend with 2 fingers and use the first finger to mute other strings.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:35:11 am »
1.  You'll want to be able to bend with a clean tone.

2.  The mute happens as you are releasing the bend, so you can use the index to buttress the bend if you need too on the way up, and you can ditch it on the way down.  Eventually you should be able to execute the bend with just the middle and ring fingers.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline adzr1980

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:11:41 pm »
I've found I'm better at muting a string bend by lifting my fretting fingers off the fret at the right moment, rather than palm muting.... does it matter if I do it this way, or will I be hindering myself later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 158
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 05:48:39 pm »
It's best to learn both techniques. Sometimes palm muting is the way to go and sometimes fretting
hand muting works best.
If your doing multiple bend and mutes on the same note fretting hand muting wouldn't work very well.

Offline TownFryer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 06:09:10 pm »
Hi,

This is a question about the ideal action for string bending. I am finding that when I bend the string up (using my ring finger - with or without the other fingers) it pushes under the string above. I'd rather not be using more effort to lift this string so I'm wondering if the action on my guitar is too high? 

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 89
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 06:24:05 pm »
If you are actually going underneath then it probably is, have you had your guitar set up professionally? If not it's a good idea to, I can do a bend on my acoustic without that happening!

Sent from my SM-G900F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline TownFryer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 06:27:57 pm »
I may well have to consider getting a professional setup. I am willing to learn how to make the changes myself if there are any good tutorials on the net.

I have a Fender Strat ~20 years old.

Offline elphinum

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 11:03:22 am »
Hey, Hi there - Mark Here! (Sorry, first post, couldn't resist. Justin's intros are famous in my house now)

Anyway, I just started the Blues Lead course. The first lick with the big bend, followed by small bend. I can do the bends fine, but I suffer from the following problem.

On the release of the bend, my fingers get caught up on the strings above the bent string. I have small hands, with slight fingers. I think that might be part of the problem because my fingers aren't thick enough to either avoid sliding under the strings, or catching the strings under my extremely short nails. the upshot is, the strings get dragged and sprung on release of the bent string. This creates a lot of noise that shouldn't be heard.

I'm sure technique can help here. I'm not the only guy with small hands. Help?

Thanks

Mark

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 11:08:33 am »
Small fingers are never the reason to why a  technique fails. Lack of practice is ;)
Keep at it and I am sure it will solve the problem a long the way, but remember to practice slowly until you get it right every time.
- Oh, and make sure the strings are not too far from the fingerboard, I could see that happening if the action is way too high.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline elphinum

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 11:11:42 am »
Hi,

This is a question about the ideal action for string bending. I am finding that when I bend the string up (using my ring finger - with or without the other fingers) it pushes under the string above. I'd rather not be using more effort to lift this string so I'm wondering if the action on my guitar is too high?

I just wrote a new post on this very subject. Tell me, do you have small or thin fingers? I do. I really thought that this was the reason my fingers were sliding under the strings. I'm fairly sure this isn't high action, though I'm as often wrong as anybody else. When I release the bend, the other strings get caught up in the area between my nail and the skin, thus twanging on the nail itself or on anything less than super smooth on the skin, like callousing.

Offline elphinum

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 11:14:08 am »
I'll try and post a photo later.

I was sure technique could be improved. I just wondered in what way. I'm now seeing other posts speaking of using various muting techniques on the affected strings.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 11:57:34 am »
Firstly, I remember this being an issue for me. It wasn't because of my long, bony fingers. Somewhere along the way, it stopped being a problem. I  guess just playing and practicing more drove it away. Some techniques that may have helped, though, were the string muting techniques Justin reluctancy teaches in stage 3 if the IM, and in songs like the Le Freak riff.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Gidi

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 08:52:39 pm »
hi everyone,

I have a question on bending B and high E strings on 8th Fret when playing A minor scale.
As Justin recommends when bending with ring finger one should keep the middle finger directly behind (7th fret in this case) and the index finger on the 6th.

The problem appears when i play this sequence: E string 5th fret with my index finger and then a note on the 8th fret with ring finger and then i want to make a full bend on the 8th fret - fingers are simply way too far from each other to put them in position for a bend.

I hope I have managed to express myself understandably. Could you suggest an suitable approach on this? and if it is - practice practice practice - then I will :)

Thanks!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 409
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 09:01:12 pm »
Hi Gidi
For the bend you describe, you do not need your first finger, try to bend with third supported by second only.
If you get this working well you can do a neat trick - a unison bend. The note you bend to is the same as the note held hi first finger. Getting them to ring out together is a great target to work towards. You can then look to build licks with it.
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-607-UnisonBendsInBluesLeadGuitar-GuitarLesson.php

Get The Forum As A Mobile App