Author Topic: Strings without Nickel?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline apoetpretending

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Strings without Nickel?
« on: February 20, 2016, 05:06:10 pm »
Hi everyone!

I have so far been playing electric guitar, but I am looking at also getting an acoustic guitar. The problem is, most acoustic strings are nickel coated/wound and I have a nickel allergy. There is some nickel in most electric strings as well, but it's usually not exposed so it doesn't typically bother me. However, I remember in my teenage years, I used to play my sister's acoustic and my fingers would be burning and itching after just a few minutes.

I was wondering if anyone knows of acoustic strings that don't contain nickel, or at least are coated or wound in something else? If you've used them, how do they sound?

Thanks! :)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
Re: Strings without Nickel?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 05:20:57 pm »
I think most acoustic guitar strings don't have nickel... although I think some do.  But I am thinking the most common materials are bronze and phosphor bronze...

Search for "Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings" and look at the specs.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:51:55 pm »
Good idea on the phosphor/bronze strings. But also an option that might be partial in nature, would be nylon. But most of those sets I have seen are metal for the thicker 3 strings or so. I think a little research will yield a solution that will work.

I took a quick look and came up with some info:

Other factors to consider - https://nickelallergyguitar.wordpress.com/

Strings, brands & other info-Not sure it is fully correct. I was a machinist and always thought Stainless Steel had to have nickle in it. I could be wrong but I would check it out before I dive fully into the advice on this one. - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/949697-playing-guitar-nickel-allergy.html

I found a ton more with this Google search: no nickel guitar strings

LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline apoetpretending

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:14:04 pm »
Thank you both for the replies.

shadowscott007,
I guess I was misinformed. I was told that most of them were nickel. I'll look for the phosphor/bronze strings.

LBro,
Thank you for the link! I did some research, but I seemed to find conflicting reports. On another forum, someone said that they'd bought strings which were labeled as either stainless or bronze (can't remember which it was) and they had emailed the company who said they still contained some nickel. I guess I'll just have to do some more digging.

I was hoping someone else had had this experience and maybe already knew for sure what worked and what didn't. I did read another forum that cobalt strings were good for people with nickel allergies, but those are for electric. I bought a set, but so far the strings that came on my electric guitar haven't bothered me.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 06:44:16 pm »
Have you tried Elixir strings they have a poly coating and are made from bronze or phosphor bronze.
They're pricey but last 3 to 4 times longer than non coated strings.

Offline apoetpretending

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 07:54:15 pm »
Thanks stitch101,
I'll take a look at those. :)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 08:52:18 pm »
Bronze can contain some nickel. It should not be a significant amount, but it is something to be aware of.

Given your situation, a quick email to a string manufacturer may not be a bad idea. I can't speak for all of them, but I have found the folks at Elixir and D'addario to be very helpful and responsive to inquiries. I'm sure they would be happy to give recommendations for you.

Offline adibranch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 12:35:53 pm »
Martin Silk and Steel?

Offline apoetpretending

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 04:42:33 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Most of them seem to contain at least a little nickel, but I will just have to try a few different ones for myself I guess. Bought some phosphor bronze, which seem to contain the least amount of nickel for traditional strings.

@adibranch, I looked those up at the nearest music store and they have them. Will have to pick some up next time I get in there, thanks.

Offline adibranch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 12:08:01 pm »
got some on mine.. nice warm sound to them.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App