Author Topic: BL-402 • Minor Pentatonic Pattern 1  (Read 9192 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:43:48 pm by close2u »

Offline RockyRacc00n

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BL-402 • Minor Pentatonic Pattern 1
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:37:29 pm »
Hello, I have an acoustic guitar with medium gauge strings. Will this make it more difficult for me to get into string bending?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 12:37:32 am »
Yes, that will be more difficult.  High E and B strings tough but do-able...
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline krebstar

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 06:39:19 pm »
I have been working on this for a better part of a week and feel like I have made progress and can play this error free now.

My question is, how fast do I need to be able to do it error free before I move on? If I try to go to fast, I mess up, but I can certainly play the scale without making errors.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 141
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 11:01:27 pm »
Don't worry about...here's a thing go to YouTube and search for a blues backing track in key of A... Now just try using your minor pent at your current slow speed and it'll work
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
My Band: https://www.facebook.com/retrospectivemusicuk/
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0A

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:32:27 pm »
It is not about speed / errors ... it is about whether you can use it to play and improvise and make music.
Have you learned any riffs?
If not then DO NOT begin learning any other scale patterns until you can play with this pattern.
Learn riffs, play with them, change them, make variations etc etc over backing tracks.

Offline LeftyDave

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 03:59:33 am »
So this is technically a "lesson specific question", but the lessons thread has been dead for over a year and I figured this is pretty general anyway.

I'm currently on Justin's Blues Lead 1. Im having particular trouble with the minor pentatonic scale in terms of the "blues fingering" of it. Using the pinkies on the high e and B is cake, no problems. Using the third finger creates problems.

First, how far should the thumb go over? Playing, I can't really find a comfortable position for it. I can reach with just the tip peaking over but if I actually grip my thumb over the strings i cant even get close to the 3rd finger reaching. Im new to the form so idk if pictures are easy but if someone could provide a picture of their finger and thumb placement that would be extremely helpful.

As a bonus problem for those feeling extra helpful: When I get my 3rd finger to reach successfully, my index finger gets a soft persistent pain in the middle joint of the finger. Is this wrong technique or something like the finger stretching that will pass over time?

Thanks in advance to any answers!
Squier Affinity Tele LH, "pumpkin" blonde
Seagull S6 Dreadnought LH
Fender Player Strat LH, Tidepool Blue

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 09:55:41 am »
I'm currently on Justin's Blues Lead 1. Im having particular trouble with the minor pentatonic scale in terms of the "blues fingering" of it. Using the pinkies on the high e and B is cake, no problems. Using the third finger creates problems.
As a bonus problem for those feeling extra helpful: When I get my 3rd finger to reach successfully, my index finger gets a soft persistent pain in the middle joint of the finger. Is this wrong technique or something like the finger stretching that will pass over time?
Hi Dave. Have you done the Beginners Course? There is a finger stretching exercise in it that may benefit you. I suggest you visit/re-visit that and see if it helps.

Don’t do anything that causes pain in your finger joints, you may cause long term issues.
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 141
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 10:35:06 am »
Hi Lefty. So I hadn't actually watched this vid (I've not ventured into the Blues lead course) so have just taken a look.

I guess the bit you're referring to is where Justin talks about having the thumb come over the top of the guitar to support string bending? If that's the case then I wouldn't worry too much. Bear in mind this is going to be dictated a little by both the guitar and hand size. I have to admit I don't have my thumb over the top (knowingly) when I string bend although I think the thumb creep further towards the top of the guitar. Justin himself shows that he can't keep it there all the time towards the end showing that he has to move his thumb towards the back.

Either way if you are just starting on the Pentatonic scale you are probably best to look at the beginner and intermediate lessons first rather than jumping into the lead the course.

I don't think others posting their finger/thumb placement is going to help as it will be a little different for everyone and Justin is pretty clear what he's doing in the video.

In terms of your bonus question I can't quite tell from your description what you are doing. Is this using your third finger to play the the last note on the minor pent instead of your pinky? I'm not sure why this would impact your index finger as it's not going to be holding a note...but maybe I'm not reading it correctly.

A picture would be better. To add a picture you need 5 posts in the forum. Then you upload your picture to somewhere you can share from e.g. Gdrive or something similar, and share the link in your post.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
My Band: https://www.facebook.com/retrospectivemusicuk/
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0A

Offline LeftyDave

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 07:13:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies. To clarify, while I'm new to the forums, im mot new to the website. I've been using it for about a year and a half and after a LOT of hours gotten thru both the classic beginner course and the intermediate foundations. I've been working at the thumb being the top back and rewatching the end of the video closely and found a better spot for it. Index pain is gone to, it was coming moreso from the way it was bent uo around the fret but now the pain is more or less gone so i think I'm good. Thanks again for the help guys!
Squier Affinity Tele LH, "pumpkin" blonde
Seagull S6 Dreadnought LH
Fender Player Strat LH, Tidepool Blue

Get The Forum As A Mobile App