Author Topic: Epiphone SG G400 is it good quality?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Malinikoline

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
    • My music on Soundcloud
Epiphone SG G400 is it good quality?
« on: February 11, 2016, 01:13:45 pm »
I read the buying-tips thread, and noticed that Epiphone may or may not be good quality. I really love the sound of this guitar: (Imagine link here, but for whatever reason, that's not allowed?????)

and with my mono/sharp soundscape kind of hearing, there aren't a lot of guitars I like, I'll be more in the ballad/pop area than Rock, so I'd like a warm, round sound.

Has anyone tried it or know if it's any good?

Offline BartNL

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: Epiphone SG G400 is it good quality?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:03 pm »
I have no experience with it myself, but one day I would like to own an SG...

The Epiphone SG G-400 comes with Alnico humbucker pickups, and probably that is what makes you like the sound ("warm/round") of this guitar. If you have a chance, compare it with an Epiphone SG with non-alnico pickups, like the Special or the G-310. If this is what does it for you, you could also look for other guitars with alnico humbuckers.

And on the posting of links: once you reach a certain number of posts (5?), you will be able to post links.
1991 Ibanez AM-50, 2008 Am. DL Strat, Airline Twin tone, Cubase, computer-amped by Amplitube

Offline Malinikoline

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
    • My music on Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 05:20:02 pm »

Offline danni

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:05:36 pm »
Hi all,

I want to share a story about my new electric guitar, I'd be curious to hear your opinions.
So first of all: I have been playing classical acoustic guitar when I was 16 and started Justin's Course on January 1, 2017. I bought a steel string acoustic in the meantime. I have never in my life even touched an electric guitar, just to give you context about my knowledge about electric guitars: It's Zero.

I did a lot of research and decided to buy the Epiphone SG G-400 Pro. It just made sense for me for a lot of reasons, price, fixed bridge, I like the tone, all of that. I went to the store and honestly, it was the most exciting day of the year for me. I made it into this whole day trip to get the guitar, I took my best friend, it was just all so exciting.

I went to the guy in the store with this long list of items that I had all researched on the internet before and told him exactly what I want. I guess because of this, because I showed up with a complete list, he somehow did not realize that I am beginner and I know nothing. So he forgot to tell me that I am supposed to have the guitar set up – for free – at the in-house technician. I did not know, I just took the package with the guitar and went home. I bought it in cherry red and baptized her Sherry.
Next day, I went to a guitar shop in my town to get a set up. Again, I researched this. The guy has amazing credentials on his website. Famous musicians he played with and all that. The guy looks at the guitar and tells me that the neck is bent like a banana and he would not be able to fix it. He recommended returning the guitar immediately, he said there is no way to save this guitar.

You can imagine my frustration, this was devastating. I was so extremely excited about the process of going and buying an electric guitar. The evening after visiting this technician was just so sad for me.
The day after that I went back to the original store, which is quite far from where I live. I said I want to return the guitar because the neck is bent. The guy said, ok, can I have a look? I said sure. Then he told me, yes of course it’s bent, that happens sometimes on the way from Indonesia, where they make them. He said it’s a matter of one minute to fix it and then he asked who had told me that the guitar should be returned. He told me that fixing this and doing a proper set up as recommended by Epiphone is guitar technician 101. He said the guy who told me to return the guitar is an idiot.

So, he did the set up in something like 4 minutes and from my zero-knowledge opinion, everything is absolutely fantastic now. The action is even lower than on my acoustic, I have spent so much time staring at the neck from all angles, it looks perfect to me.

I don’t do internet reviews, I am not interested at all in giving people bad reviews and hurting businesses, so I also don’t want to give names or places here. But I wrote the first guy an email. He replied very professionally, I have to give him credit for that, but he said he stands with his judgement of the guitar.

Overall, I am just too confused to see the moral of the story here. I love the guitar and in my opinion, it is perfect now. More than this rollercoaster of being happy and being sad about the guitar, what strikes me most now is that it obviously is difficult to trust people with your instrument. Either the first guy or the second guy did not tell me the truth – or did not know better. Even if someone has amazing credentials, they still don’t know how to do a proper set up. Is that the moral of the story? It is just very hard to tell for me, if my happiness with the instrument now – with my Zero experience – is enough or if I should consult even more technicians. By the way, I call her – of course – Sherry Banana now.

Sorry for the long post, this whole story occupied my mind for a whole week, I just had to get it out there and would love to hear how you would have reacted and how you decide which opinions you trust with your instrument.

Danni

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:21:09 pm »
If you want a really nice warm sounding guitar and like the Epiphone brand - which are pretty decent, I would recommend the Epiphone Dot, they are well regarded and sound amazing!!!
https://m.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_the_dot_ch.htm
An alternative is a similar guitar made by Ibanez:
https://m.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_am53_srf.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qbLBRB7EiwAftBCI4uGkEtpMuN9s2AX3pjyHPqf4_mlpJ7rPtpw1jLqy0j5WZ27QekYBhoCHGsQAvD_BwE
Both are nice but if it were me I would get the Epiphone.
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Tenada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline danni

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:28:14 pm »
If you want a really nice warm sounding guitar and like the Epiphone brand - which are pretty decent, I would recommend the Epiphone Dot, they are well regarded and sound amazing!!!
https://m.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_the_dot_ch.htm
An alternative is a similar guitar made by Ibanez:
https://m.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_am53_srf.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qbLBRB7EiwAftBCI4uGkEtpMuN9s2AX3pjyHPqf4_mlpJ7rPtpw1jLqy0j5WZ27QekYBhoCHGsQAvD_BwE
Both are nice but if it were me I would get the Epiphone.

:-)... Thanks, but I already did get the Epiphone.... :-) You did not read the story, did you? LOL, it's ok, I wrote too much... :-)

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 129
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 08:45:24 pm »
Both guitar techs could be right.

The first guy sets up guitars for professional musicians and your guitar  may not be good enough to set up
to his standards. The second guy deals with the general public and can set up a guitar good enough to make it
playable.
As long as you are happy and can learn on your guitar that's what counts. In most casses good enough is all you
need. In 5 or 10 years you may disagree with me.

Offline danni

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 08:48:15 pm »

The first guy sets up guitars for professional musicians and your guitar  may not be good enough to set up
to his standards. The second guy deals with the general public and can set up a guitar good enough to make it
playable.
As long as you are happy and can learn on your guitar that's what counts. In most casses good enough is all you

I like that, I haven't thought about it like that :)

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 08:55:38 pm »
:-)... Thanks, but I already did get the Epiphone.... :-) You did not read the story, did you? LOL, it's ok, I wrote too much...
My advice was for the OP!!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:12:50 pm by DarrellW »
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Tenada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Online nfotis

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 01:40:17 pm »
I read the buying-tips thread, and noticed that Epiphone may or may not be good quality. I really love the sound of this guitar: (Imagine link here, but for whatever reason, that's not allowed?????)

and with my mono/sharp soundscape kind of hearing, there aren't a lot of guitars I like, I'll be more in the ballad/pop area than Rock, so I'd like a warm, round sound.

Has anyone tried it or know if it's any good?

I saw late this post, I have bought a used G-400 myself after an Epiphone Les Paul.
The sound is different, not exactly warm (strings play also a role). I think that I still prefer the Les Paul (also, an Epiphone Dot might give even warmer tones).
You should try all these types at the same time, in my opinion.

N.F.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 03:31:15 pm »

playable.

I agree. I've also had two local techs try and get my 80s strat (quality Japanese Fender BTW) to stop buzzing at the 7th fret. Admittedly some beginner thrashing emphasised this.

One said he tried his best and couldn't, and suggested buying a new neck, or paying $300 for a whole new fret job. The other one just tried harder with his set up, and fixed it.

Offline osufan1981

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 04:10:55 pm »
I bought one a few months ago, and I absolutely love it.  One day I'll get a Gibson when I'm good enough, but it is a very good guitar.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App